Bill Evans OJC vs. XRCD vs SHM-SACD (Bill Evans Trio - Definitive digital versions?) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kimo, Feb 3, 2009.

1. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Those APO SACDs are not my cup of tea...
    AP Gold CD of Debbey is absolutely fabulous.

fenderesq and Say like this.
  2. Changeling

Changeling Aut disce aut discede

But the SHM-SACD's aren't from APO?

3. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Yes, it was another story. I just said my impressions.

4. Changeling

Changeling Aut disce aut discede

Hehe, what's your preferred versions?

5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I've written about them in some threads. And IMO as everybody has own his/her favorites, you'd better listen as many as possible to find your versions.

The candidates are;
    XRCD
    OJC
    SHM-SACD
    VDJ
    Complete Village Vanguard session

SOONERFAN likes this.
  6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Are there different versions of the Moon Beams XRCD? I recently found a Japanese XRCD (VICJ-60214) which is mastered by Alan Yoshida. Are the earlier Bill Evans XRCDs that were done in the US different than those from Japan? Thanks :)!

Bill

ti720103 likes this.
  7. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I have JVCXR-0036-2 (Manne-Hole) mastered by Yoshida, but I'm not sure what is meant by "earlier....done in the US". I thought all XRCDs were Japan market. I have from time to time made an effort acquire all Yoshida mastered, but there remains a few missing.

As for Moon Beams, I find it hard to believe that any digital will beat the SHM-SACD.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have several Bill Evans XRCDs. There are some with Japanese text on the back cover and others are do not have that. Bill Evans at Shelly's Manne-Hole (JVCXR-0036-2) and Everybody Digs Bill Evans (JVCXR-0020-2) are I believe US releases. Those two have totally different packaging than the ones I have with Japanese text. Some come with OBI strips and others do not. So IMO there are different Bill Evans XRCD releases with some being from the US and others from Japan.

Bill

ti720103 likes this.
  9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

All Victor XRCDs, including the early ones with the gatefold covers, were manufactured in Japan.

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Hans,

Thanks for your thoughts. Any input on why the difference in the packaging? As I mentioned earlier some have Japanese text and plastic trays where others are all in English and do not have the plastic trays. Then some come with OBI strips and others do not. Would it be that some were for the US market and others were for the Japanese market? Just curious :).

Bill

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have no background info on the difference in the packaging. Perhaps the gatefold covers turned out to be too expensive to manufacture, but that's pure speculation on my part.

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just went through my XRCD collection and found three different types of packaging. All of those with the Japanese text have the plastic trays. Then there are ones with the gatefold with a flap to keep the disc in place and another that has the gatefold for the disc but no flap. I wish I could post pictures but my I-Phone will not cooperate.

Besides the packaging the question I still have is why some do XRCDs have Japanese text and others do not. I have to believe that there was different packaging for the US and Japanese market. That is why I thought some were produced in the US and others in Japan.

* (Actually four types of packaging if you include the Audio Wave Blue Note series)

Bill

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Is there a list of all of the Bill Evans XRCDs? I believe I have them all but wanted to be sure. Thanks :)!

Bill

Jimijam likes this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Bill Bump.

Jimijam likes this.
  15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I also have Workin' and Cookin' and Steamin' and Relaxin' as LP Facimile / mini lp XRCDs.

16. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

So the original XRCD is not the best sounding "Waltz for Debby"?

17. George P

George P Notable Member

Haven't heard that one, but I love the sound of my gold AP CD.

18. Jimijam

Jimijam Forum Resident

Bill bump

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Doing a search on Discogs for "Bill Evans XRCD" I came up with the titles listing in the link below. Not sure if that is all of the XRCDs from Bill Evans. I have all of them except "Know What I Mean". Although I'm not sure if I have the "Waltz for Debby" XRCD. The one that's not listed is the Tony Bennett/Bill Evans Album XRCD. I do have that one as well.

Searching for "bill evans xrcd" within on Discogs

Jimijam likes this.
  20. Jimijam

Jimijam Forum Resident

Excellent bill great job ! :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

22. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

How do the Bill Evans XRCD and SHM SACD discs compare?

23. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

(Pointlessly closed thread reopened by request.)

Jam757, kt66brooklyn and Turmatic like this.
  24. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

This is almost a threadcrap, but "The Complete Village Vanguard Sessions" is cheap and sounds great.

25. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Opinion on XRCD vs SHM-SACD vs other for the classic Bill Evans titles?