Bill Evans OJC vs. XRCD vs SHM-SACD (Bill Evans Trio - Definitive digital versions?) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kimo, Feb 3, 2009.

1. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

The piano is always the thing that bothers me in these great discs RVG recorded in the 50s, that I'm still discovering! Nice to read an explanation!

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm not sure I'm reading your post correctly, but RVG did not record anything for Riverside, Bill Evans' label until the early 1960s. This thread is about the preferred CD versions (OJC or XRCD) of the Bill Evans Riverside albums that were mentioned earlier.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Van Gelder was always searching for a way to get the piano "out there". He tried almost everything and was never happy with any of them. Jack Higgins and the Reeves people seemed to just ignore the blatant distortion of the piano on many famous Riverside albums like Kelly Blue, Everybody Digs Bill Evans, etc. Like it didn't matter or didn't exist. Weird.

When Bill Evans recorded at Bell Sound or Nola Penthouse or whatever, the sound improved (piano overload-wise). Of course, this has nothing to do with performance or "feel" or anything of a musical nature, just sound reproduction. Bill hated the actual piano at Reeves and wouldn't record there after PORTRAIT..

Roy DuNann or Howard Holzer in Los Angeles never had a problem recording a good, distortion free piano sound at the Contemporary Records' mailroom studio. Listen to JAZZ IMPRESSIONS OF MY FAIR LADY from 1956 in stereo to hear what could be done by a small (tiny) studio setup..

kt66brooklyn, Jimijam and Tommyboy like this.
  4. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Great pic, Steve.

5. fredhammersmith

Sorry, it just happened that by contributing to your thread, SH answered a question I always had. Thread-crapping (is that the right word?), I'm afraid. Completely un-voluntary. Please go on.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It's not my thread :)

7. Yes, Steve, that is what I meant: The best digital transfer of a problematic tape.

8. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I noticed this too. A few months ago I was comparing late '20s/early '30s Ellington tracks from different labels. You hear the piano on the Victors like you would sitting in the audience of a concert hall. One of the others, I think Vocalion, sounded like the mic was put up close. More upfront and dry but kind of boring.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  9. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I think he went too far with his experimentation. The piano usually sounds weird on Van Gelder's recordings. Nothing like a real piano. Hard to describe in words, anyone unfamiliar with the sound needs to hear it for themselves.

10. fredhammersmith

Sorry, can somebody direct me to a reference to that disc? Can't find it.

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Shelly Manne - My Fair Lady - originally on Contemporary

[​IMG]

McLover likes this.
  12. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

I picked this up on your recommendation Hans. Let me tell you, this boxset is absolutely wonderful! I have not yet done any direct comparisons with my current references, but I am digging this set. :cheers:

13. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

DCC GZS-1043 1993 Gold CD Manne, Shelley (Shelley Manne & His Friends) Modern Jazz Performances of Songs from My Fair Lady

14. blue

blue Mastering rules

Great I found that answer because I wondered why the Ap 45RPM "Everybody Digs Bill Evans" is so distorted as it sounds as if the cartridge is misadjusted. So it seems to be on the tape and no pressing fault.

Steve, what I wonder is...why is such a recording reissued with such effort, as there might be other better tapes of other recordings around?

When I often read about a decision " this tape was to bad for choosing it for remastering" I wonder why this tape wasn't too bad? Same with Joe Pass/Sounds of Saranyon where bass and guitar is distorted...

kt66brooklyn and Tommyboy like this.
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

To make searches easier: Manne's first name was Shelly :)

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm glad I found this post. I just listened to the Everybody Digs Bill Evans XRCD (0020-2) and I find it almost unlistenable. I have always thought this and posted it in this Bill Evans thread awhile back. I'm certainly not very well versed in the recording process. But Steve's comments of "full of distortion and piano overload" is basically what I found on this recording. I have a fair amount of Bill Evans' CDs, XRCDs and SACDs and this one has to be one of the worst sounding titles of his I own.

Bill

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm looking to get Bill Evans' Green Dolphin Street and was looking at the XRCD version. Is the XRCD the best version or are there other versions that have similar SQ at a lower cost?

Bill

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Great thread for many reasons..should be required reading.

19. Steve Hoffman

XRCD is the one. The cheap OJC CD is fine as well.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks, Steve :). I see there is a SHM-CD but I can't find any information as to the mastering.

Bill

21. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The XRCD is OOP Bill, I assume you know that.

22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

All of those XRCDs sound great IMO.

23. Brian DeWitt

Brian DeWitt Senior Member

I have the XRCD of Live at the Village Vanguard and the sound is phenomenal.

George P likes this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

That's the best of all of them.

kt66brooklyn, SOONERFAN and jfeldt like this.
  25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The classical titles sound great too IMO.