Big Star's #1 Record and Radio City - Classic Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CardinalFang, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Well, the Classic's aren't clear, more like light brown. And we still don't know for sure if the Concord's are the same mastering so until we do, let's not speculate.

2. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Whatever color the vinyl, my point wasn't about the color. :confused:

Anyway, it makes no sense to me that the two sets are different masterings. I don't know for sure but I'll predict it right here and now. Count me a daring speculator. :wave:

3. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Hello. I've been out of town for a few days, so I can't re-check the Concord matrix numbers right now. But, it does appear that the Classic likely has the same ones. Although I don't have the Classics yet, I had originally planned on reviewing them--and I probably still will, especially if I get requests to do so.

One other thing that probably is of little consequence, but that I did notice: When I checked the Big Star Concord reissues against my Classic 150 gram copy of Who's Next, I came to the conclusion that they were probably pressed at the same facility. Similar card stock for the cover; very similar weight vinyl; exact same barcode sticker over shrink. Sberger: Are the mids scooped on the Classic version of #1 Record?

4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I was just joking about the color...should have done the smile thing.

As far as the mastering, my point is we don't know. I'm in the camp that they probably are the same. We will see.

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Everything about #1 Record sounds great. No scooped mids on my system.

It will suck if I could've bought these cheaper, but I'm still happy with the package.

6. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Ah! :D

This is the first Classic Records vinyl I've purchased and I'm curious why the dead wax doesn't have a stamper number. They guarantee that the first 50 orders would be the first stamper but there's no indication that it's a fact. Is this typical?

I'm still listening to the record. It's really nice. I'm not as big a fan of Radio City but now I'm tempted to get it.

7. THD

THD Forum Resident

200g, clear vinyl, clarity, whatever. All that can still result in a noisy record. I think I'll be sticking with the Concord reissues and use the savings to buy even more records!

8. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

90 second samples of "Feel" -- #1 from the Classic Reissue (kudos to Music.com for getting to me in Japan so quickly!), #2 from a UK Stax 1978 reissue matrix STX 3021 A-1:

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=UmNJYUowdVV5UkVLSkE9PQ

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=UmNJYUp6SEJEbUtGa1E9PQ

Question: is anyone doing a cleaning on these before play? I don't always do that with newly pressed vinyl. Should I?

Dale

PS: someone please tell me if the links work. Thanks.

9. brstp

brstp Active Member

Hrm, I can't say I'm all that happy about this turn of events. We'll see though. My supposed hot-stamper copies are arriving on Monday according to UPS.

Thanks for doing the work to get needledrops up, dgsinner! I like the new one a lot. I'm just not all that happy about possibly having paid $50 more than I had to.

10. bigdogpress

bigdogpress Forum Resident

o.k. these sound great. nice extension of the bottom end and smoothed top end that might take me a while to get used to.... not that it's not "right" sounding or rolled off, but i've been listening to top heavy versions of these for years including my originals. all in all i'm very happy with them and will more than likely pick up the concord versions just to have them. if you know these two records you owe it to yourself to check these out. if you don't know these albums and love 70's rock find a way to hear these.

11. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Does anyone know how the white vinyl Line Records pressing of #1 Record from 1986 compares to some of the other vinyl editions? I have it and I'm pretty happy with it, though it sounds a little compressed in some sections. I don't have anything to compare it too, so I'm not sure if it's worth replacing.

I don't have Radio City on vinyl, so I'll probably be picking up one of these new releases soon.

12. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

My copies arrived today. Can't wait to spin them this weekend!
    Thanks for the tip!
    Peace-
    Norm/t5

13. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Amazon is listing an April 14th release date for ($13.98) vinyl versions of #1 Record and Radio City, on the 'Hi Horse Records' label. What's going on - are three labels all releasing this at the same time?

14. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

I received my Classic pressings of these titles yesterday. The "clarity" vinyl was perfect on both titles and dead quiet. The description of the album covers from the Concord standard version seem to fit the classic covers to a tee. The deadwax inscription is simply the original Ardent matrix number as indicated already.

I have listened to #1 Record in its entirety and the first side of Radio City. I did notice a little sibilence on "Watch the Sunrise" on #1 Record and "O' My Soul" on Radio City. Sibilience for me has never really been an issue before, so it may have to do with the bright nature of these recordings.

I thought the sound was really good and I do not think anyone is going to be disappointed, however I do have the suspicion based on the review of the Concord pressings at "51nocaster's" blog that the mastering is the same. I will wait to hear a definitive on that from someone who hear's them both, but I am hearing the same things described at that site from the Classic set. I had to throw on my Line 2-fer CD of these titles to notice the lack of mid-range bite to some of the guitars on #1 Record. Overall though, the vinyl is a much better listen though in my opinion.

15. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

As much as I love #1 Record I rarely play it these days because I find "Feel" to be so shrill - and I have original issue vinyl, later vinyl, various CDs... You name it, I've grabbed it for all of the Big Star releases. These things are like Beatles stuff for me - every note memorized - I can really just play them in my head if I need to (with my own EQ), but I'm curious.
    Guess I'm gonna buy them again, but the less expensive route for me.
    So glad these are still getting so much loving attention.
    Thanks for all the info on this thread.
    God Save Big Star.

16. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member Thread Starter

Are the first 50 pressings supposed to have 1S in the deadwax, or do we just take their word for it? The text on themusic.com website is vague. I've never done the "first 50" before.

These records sound fantastic. I haven't compared Radio City to my original Ardent, but the vinyl is quieter. My original Radio City came out of the Ardent warehouse when I was interning at the studio... it had never been played. Came with a complete press kit... I think I posted photos a few years ago. Anyway, I was always disappointed that the virgin Ardent pressing was so noisy. My Classic copy is dead quiet. :righton:

17. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I asked the same question earlier. Seems we have to take their word for it.

18. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Phew, due to a shipping snafu I was able to cancel my Classic order. I then picked the Concord pressings up locally for $15 each (New Yorkers: Academy (no affiliation) in Brooklyn had plenty of copies behind the counter yesterday).

Love the sound on these. My only other copy is the two-fer SACD. Initially it sounds a lot less bright than the SACD, much smoother and balanced; less fatiguing for sure. When I put the SACD on after listening to the Concords my head hurts and I reach for the remote. Not pleasant at all. As was mentioned earlier the vinyl is dead quiet. It's not flimsy vinyl either. Can't imagine the Classics sounding $18 better each.

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Well, since I have not received any replies from either Concord Music nor TheMusic.com regarding who did the mastering on the Concord titles I have sent off an email to Classic. We'll see if I can get any response from them. I mentioned that this topic is receiving heavy attention here. If it is the same mastering, I'm going to be really pissed that no disclosure was made, because as nightenock has said, paying almost $20 more because we didn't know we had an option for a less expensive version is as deceitful as it gets.

I'm wondering about this 1S deal as well(and also asked Classic about this) I ordered a first stamper pressing and there is nothing in the deadwax to confirm I got one. Does anybody who ordered a first stamper have 1S in their deadwax?

20. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

No 1S on my pressing.

21. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Do they ever do theses "the first 50 people to order will receive 1S stamper" promotions on other issues? Maybe Classic knew the Concords were coming simultaneously, at over half the price, and cooked the offer up to make some quick sales.

22. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

The only reason I discount that is that they only advertise it in the product listing. Once someone is there they are probably there to buy anyway - and the main selling point for classic seems to be that "Clarity" vinyl. My concern is more that they don't know what pressings they are getting from the manufacturer. It seems like a crapshoot to me. Also given that the matrix is the same on both the Concords and the Classic who's to say they aren't from the same stampers?

I'm not overly worked up about it but it seems like the offer aught to be backed up some how (not that stamper numbers are even a guarantee).

23. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Upon reflection, we should feel very lucky that we now have high quality vinyl versions of these albums. It is a shame that this fact has been over shadowed by the controversies surrounding the mastering and the two near simultaneous releases. Yes, I spent more for the Classic clarity versions but I am going to look at this way: if they indeed are the same mastering at least now I do not have to obsess over whether the Classic clarity has any advantage over the standard issue, because I know the obsessive audiophile in me what always wonder that if I had purchased the standard Concord release.

I mean we spent hundreds (and some of us thousands) to get that next little bit of resolution or detail out of our systems. I will look at the purchasing of the Clarity Classic issues this the same way (for a $50 premium).

24. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Yeah, but what if the Concords sound better than the Classics?
    Think about it-- better sound for a fraction of the price.
    Could happen.

25. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

This is kind of a confusing issue.

So, to be sure you have the proper mastering just go for the Classic? Or do we know yet whether the Concords are a safe bet?

And do they both sound great on Concord or only Radio City?? Has anyone compared the Classic #1 Record with the Concord to see if its better if the Concord isnt so good?

Has anyone compared th Concords and Classics in general?

I didnt see the advertiisement from Classic about the first 50 pressings thing-still not clear what this was about. Hot stampers for the first 50? Why would they change the mastering after the first 50? Thats weird unless Ive misunderstood. Ive never known them to do something like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.