Big Star's #1 Record and Radio City - Classic Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CardinalFang, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

2. mike75

mike75 New Member

3. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

4. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

5. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Ted, please let us know if #1 Records' sound qualities fairs any better on Classic Records.

6. THD

THD Forum Resident

Great review! Definitely sounds like they weren't sourced from a cd!! I'm wondering though, do you have any idea where they were sourced from? Tape or digital?

In any event, these sound like they could be a worthy alternative to the Classic pressings.

7. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Thanks for the reviews, 51nocaster, Any idea who mastered these? Any deadwax clues?

8. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Please post specific questions in the comments section of the review and I will try to address them all when I have access to a computer tonight. Thanks.

9. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

I have just posted an update in the comments section of the review.

10. brstp

brstp Active Member

You're doing quite a nice job trying to get people to click through to your blog :rolleyes:

Here's the relevant info:

11. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Well...until I actually have FACTS from Concord as to what sources they are using...(also remember...Terry Manning actually has the master of #1 Record...) I am not going for all this speculation...

12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I'll let somebody else review these, but I just got mine from Classic and they sound amazing. I have minty originals, and these sound every bit as good, maybe even better. I can't imagine how anyone who buys these would have any issue. And no, I'm not a Classic fanboy.

13. Expanding Man

Expanding Man New Member

Great to hear. How'd ya get 'em so fast?

14. bigdogpress

bigdogpress Forum Resident

i just got in from work and had an e-mail that says mine are in my town and out for delivery. hours away...... i can't wait!

15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Good question. Ordered direct from The Music and I live in California so maybe that had something to do with it.

16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I can't believe how great these sound. So clear and detailed, and yet so lush, which is not a word I thought I would ever use to describe these albums. And yes, these now have a terrific bottom, with Jody's drums much more prominent in the mix. And the covers are really nice.

The only thing that is puzzling to me is that Chris Bellmans' initials are not in the deadwax. Wonder why?

17. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member Thread Starter

What IS in the deadwax? Can you post the matrix... maybe it's the same as the Concord? :shrug:

18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

That would suck for me, wouldn't it?

#1 Record: ADS-2803-A/ADS-2803-B

Radio City: ADS-1501-A/ADS-1501-B

19. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Ok....now those with the Concords....

Matrix UP!

20. Bill

Bill Senior Member

See link on Post # 52.

21. mike75

mike75 New Member

"Neither of these reissues from Concord Music Group contain any mastering information or credits. The deadwax for each album simply has the Ardent catalog number, followed by an "a" on side one and a "b" on side two."

Uh-oh...

22. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member Thread Starter

The blog simply states:

So does that mean the Classic is the same? I'm not sure.... does sberger's post of the Classic matrix contain the "Ardent catalog number"? It looks to me like it does... confirmation? Can 51nocaster confirm please?

23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

The Classic matrix is indeed the Ardent catalog number. I've just sent an email off to TheMusic.com to get their comments.

The Classic is 200g, and on their Clarity vinyl. It's a great package, but I will agree that if Concord is using the exact same mastering, then I'll be kinda pissed.

24. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I got my Classic version of #1 Record today and it does sound wonderful! Comparing it to the original vinyl my first impression is that they definitely tempered the high end and the detail is better. It's overall just so smooth that its kind of like listening to a different record. I'm real happy with this...extremely nice.

My only issue is that, for all of the hoopla The Music makes about "clear vinyl," "hand select service," "200mg" etc the record is not dead quiet. It's nice but is it worth $33?

Anyway, fans of #1 Record are going to be real happy about this. At least I'm pretty well blown away. And it does sound like the only difference between the two sets of releases is the wax used. So it's probably best to go with the $11.99 versions.

Lastly, it's remarkable how the cover matches the original, lamination and all. The only minor difference that I can see is the color of the highlights on the front are more blue than the original.

25. bigdogpress

bigdogpress Forum Resident

these just dropped from ups. i'll post my impressions in a little while. nice wed. night treat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.