Big Star's #1 Record and Radio City - Classic Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CardinalFang, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member Thread Starter

I do believe that's the going rate for Classic 200g vinyl.

2. mike75

mike75 New Member

Is there a release date for these?

3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I've got the originals and love the way they sound, but I've got my order in for the reissues. Why? I'm real curious to see what Chris Bellman can do with these. I love his work on The Who reissues.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  4. CardinalFang

April 7.

5. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I did. I was a sucker for the first stamper/hand check the vinyl sales pitch. Having said that, there's nothing wrong with having a back up for two of your all time favorite albums.

Dale

6. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

If the Classic Vinyl LPs for these two albums are coming out on April 7, what are these two LPs that are priced at $11.99 and coming out in May?

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/85052
    BIG STAR - #1 RECORD (LP)
    Mfr/Label: DOMESTIC LP
    Sku: LDB2803
    Category: Standard Vinyl
    Release Date: MAY 2009*
    $11.99

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/85051
    BIG STAR - RADIO CITY (LP)
    Mfr/Label: DOMESTIC LP
    Sku: LDB1501
    Category: Standard Vinyl
    Release Date: MAY 2009*
    $11.99

* All specified ship dates are estimates.

Craig(VC).

7. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Good question. No info on the label, just "domestic LP". ??????

Dale

8. AbsolutYYZ

AbsolutYYZ New Member

now that price is a little more like it! $11.99 is doable!

9. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Another big thank you for the head's up on this one. I ordered both from themusic.com.

10. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

Interested in these but two comments:
    a) Classic often do standard weight or 150g pressings for $20--will they do so here?
    b) I must say "taming the top and" and "Classic" are not two concepts that mix easily in my opinion.

11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

According to Music Direct it's being reissued by Concord Music. I've sent an email to them asking for information about mastering.

12. bigdogpress

bigdogpress Forum Resident

thanks. please let us know what you find out.

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Music Direct emailed me back stating that there is no mastering info available to them at this time. We'll see what Concord comes up with.

14. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Chris Bellman has done a wonderful job with the stuff I heard...I am going for the Classic's...at least I know they will be done correctly...

15. bigdogpress

oh boy! i'm getting all worked up and excited for these to get to my turntable.

16. CardinalFang

My credit card was charged for these... received an email from themusic.com saying they will ship shortly. :righton:

17. bigdogpress

i got the same e-mail. also got one that stated "now shipping"
    won't be long now........

18. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I assume that they are shipping Monday.

Also, I see that the first 50 are finally sold out.

19. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Despite the May 2009 date advertised above, both of these arrived in my local audio shop yesterday and I picked them up. I will be posting a full review on myvinylreview.com in the next few days comparing them to the original Ardent vinyl as well as previous reissues.

20. THD

THD Forum Resident

I'd be very interested in what you have to say, seeing as how there's a $42 price difference depending on where you get both records from. If it turns out the Concord versions sound like they are sourced from a CD or are otherwise subpar, I'll grudgingly go with Classic, or maybe just skip this release altogether. My track record with Classic is not very good. Their stuff is, in my opinion, way overpriced. They are still selling the Neil Young Live at Massey Hall record for $44 when the EXACT same record is available for $29 elsewhere. And half of the records I've bought from them have been scuffed and noisy. Very bad QC on their end.

I bought the 4MWB Third reissue for $18 and think that it's top notch. Sounds great, record is clean, and somehow they manage to sell it for under $20! Why couldn't they do #1 Record and Radio City?

21. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Expect to be very pleasantly surprised by at least one of the Concord reissues.

22. THD

THD Forum Resident

Awesome. Hoping it's Radio City you're referring to, but will take either one!!

Isn't it odd that two different labels would release reissues of the same two albums within a week of each other? Something similar happened with Neil Young Live at Massey Hall, although in that instance it was even weirder as it turns out both releases were of the exact same vinyl.

In any event, I imagine the dual releases would lead some people to end buying neither, or at least delaying their purchase until definitive information comes out. Bad for business!

23. sbroache

sbroache Forum Resident

looking forward to these

24. Does anyone else find it appropriate that Chris Bellman is remastering (I know he's no relation to Chris Bell but still)...

25. Expanding Man

Expanding Man New Member

Hoping for the best with these. :cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.