Big Star's #1 Record and Radio City - Classic Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CardinalFang, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

So I picked up a copy of their debut on Concord and it sounds great - 180gm yellow vinyl. Its pretty much perfect - nothing off centre, no sibilance....

I'm going to go back and get 'Radio City' - this is as great as I have heard this album, and i have been a Big Star fan for a looooong time.

2. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

After reading through this thread I found myself confused with which way to go for vinyl, so I didn't and just grabbed the sacd. I'm spinning it right now and actually listening to Big Star for the first time. I'm blown away! This is stuff is very good, they're so soooo tight!

Of course I knew Alex from the Box Tops but kept hearing the Big Star name thrown around this forum and now I know why. Geeez, I graduated HS in 72' and feel like I just climbed out from under a rock :o.

3. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I would find the original LP's if you can...they are the best there is in any format...

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You are kidding right? They are bright as a hot white light blub with no shade, at least the ones I heard, #1 Record in particular. And they are expensive as hell, starting at $50 each for good clean copies if you can find them.

It's like saying I suggest one stick with yellow and black Beatles UK records for best sound. Or UK Vertigo swirls are what you want for Black Sabbath. And people in hell want ice water too!!!

Except the Stax cuts of Big Star do not sound really great. So you are suggesting expensive originals that are rare, and not known for a nice warm balanced sound. And about impossible to find in Mint condition anymore without skipping car insurance for one payment.

I have owned them, sold them, and I kind of prefer the CD for deeper bass.

5. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

so I picked up 'Radio City' today - coloured vinyl (limited edition), and absolutely no sibilance.

6. attym

attym Forum Resident

I got a concord Radio City yesterday and it was off center. Played well, but annoyed me to look at. I passed on buying it again. Has anyone else had an off center radio city concord?

7. Paradiddle

Paradiddle Forum Resident

Resurrecting this old thread just to add that my Concord copy of Radio City has the exact same sibilance on On My Soul that everyone else reported. I just wish I had been a member of this forum when I first picked it up last October...at least it's good to know I'm not the only one that experienced this.

8. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Just got new black-vinyl Concord copies of the first two albums. #1 Record sounds amazing!

9. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Playing O My Soul now, and while there's some sibilance, it's not horrible--I've heard worse.

10. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

You might want to get a better system then, I have originals of both and have heard the other versions..no comparison...at all

11. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Playing Concord's Radio City and other than some warpage it sounds good to me. For 12 dollars who am I to complain?

12. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Agreed...

13. mitchcortes

mitchcortes Forum Resident

Hi, sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was wondering about the deadwax information on these colored vinyl issues. These are EU pressings from around 2010 according to discogs. Could it be these share the same mastering as the US releases from 2009?
    At the moment I have both #1 record and radio city (standard concord issues) on order at my local record shop.

14. mitchcortes

mitchcortes Forum Resident

Received both albums on concord 2009 US pressings. They sound great! Radio City is indeed very bright, which gives some sibilance, but overall certainly tollerable. Both discs have some warping, luckily not too bad as they play perfectly. I am very happy with the sound.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The original vinyl, which I have, may be the best ever vinyl. I haven't tried any other vinyl pressings. But they are hardly good. Possibly the best of a bad lot.

Listen to the 2004 SACD 2-fer (or the recent reissues which are derived from that). That bright high end with limited bass is what the vinyl sounds like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.