Best vinyl Dark Side of the Moon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andyinstal, Nov 7, 2006.

1. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

A-8 and B-7 would have been pressed much later than 1973.

2. FieldingMellish

FieldingMellish Active Member

3. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

4. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

huuuummmm let me ressurrect this topic :D

I'm finally going throught the hard & expensive process of getting a great Pink Floyd Vinyl collection.

It's time for DSOTM. :righton:

I already have the 30th anniversary reissue, that sounds good on my setup, but I would like to try something from the early original releases.

Many people prefer the early UK blue-rimmed triangle label A/3, B/3 pressing (which seems to be better than the A2/B2 pressing), or the Japanese EMI/Odeon solid blue triangle label.

Also, the UK first pressing with solid blue triangle label and A2/B2 matrix should be the best one, and the most expensive... right?

Are these considered the best sounding pressings? Any other option I should consider?

The blue rimmed A3/B3 is not easy to find, and even harder if one looks for at least "true excellent" condition (as I do). The UK solid blue triangle A2/B2 is also quite hard to find in Excellent condition and it will cost a lot of $$$...

Well... I might consider spending a lot of $$$ for this stunning masterpiece. But can I avoid it?

I've been disappointed with japanese vinyl before... so I'm really surprised to read such great reports about the Japanese solid blue triangle (Odeon A2/B2). Is it really that good? Did they use the master tapes for this pressing? How does it compare to the other preferred pressings?

The Japanese option is difficult to resist, it probably has very quiet vinyl, I can find it easily in Excellent (almost Mint) condition for a fair price (still expensive of course). Is it worth it?

Thanks for helping me with this :righton:

5. SergioRZ

- Early UK blue rimmed black triangle label with A3/B3 matrix.
    - First UK solid blue triangle label with A2/B2 matrix.
    - Japan Odeon/Toshiba solid blue triangle (EOP-80778) first pressing.

Are these the best three pressings?

I've been disappointed with japanese vinyl before... so I'm really surprised to read such great reports about the Japanese solid blue triangle (Odeon A2/B2). Is it really that good? Did they use the master tapes for this pressing? How does it compare to the other preferred pressings?

The Japanese option is difficult to resist, it probably has very quiet vinyl, I can find it easily in Excellent (almost Mint) condition for a fair price (still expensive of course). Is it worth it?

6. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

Hi Sergio,

I would add an early German release to your list of ones to audition. It's very, very good.

I don't believe any of these used the master tape for the pressing. It wasn't done back in the day (other than MFSL).

Reel to reel tape is what you are hearing on every pressing, in one form or another.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

+1. My German LP is the best one I own. Incredible sounding. Plus I pretty much trust TommyTunes on any British rock vinyl.

8. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

didnt post 21 clear this up?

9. SergioRZ

Certainly helped a lot :)

Still, I wanted to get other opinions, specially regarding the Japanese Odeon/Toshiba LP.

10. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Hi Sergio .. enjoying those samba cds btw :) To me the japanese didnt impress as much as the A3/B3. I am solid state ymmv.

11. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

I haven't heard the Japanese Odeon but the UK A-3/B-3 is the only one I listen to. Its fantastic. I much prefer in to the MFSL, the 30th and a late 70s Canadian Captial pressing I have.

12. SergioRZ

Why so many prefer the A3/B3 to the earlier A2/B2 version?

Any problems with the A2/B2? Or is it just a matter of it not being much better than the cheaper A3/B3 version?

13. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

sungshinla's post above says that 'money' has a glitch on the A2/B2. Aside from that the sound quality will be much the same as the A3/B3, however, the A3/B3 will be cheaper.

14. progmog

progmog Senior Member

Sergio,

Like you, I sold a large part of my CD collection and used the proceeds to reinvest in vinyl. In my quest to find the best-sounding vinyl pressing of DSOTM, I have compared the following versions:

UK solid blue triangle A2/B2
    UK blue-rimmed triangle A3/B3
    Japanese EMI/Odeon solid blue triangle
    Japanese Pro Use
    MFSL

The best-sounding to my ears was the UK solid blue A2/B2.

With respect to the so-called "glitch" during "Money", yes, it does exist but only on some pressings, not all of them. The first A2/B2 that I bought did have the glitch, but the second A2/B2 that I bought (yes, I do have more money than sense!) didn't have a glitch.

If you have the money to spare (because it certainly won't be cheap!), then go for the solid-blue triangle A2/B2, but try and listen to it first before buying if you can, just in case the copy you find does have the glitch.

In answer to your question, I think that the reason for the A3/B3's popularity is because it is cheaper, not too far-off in terms of sound quality when compared to the A2/B2, and because people are worried about the glitch. As I state above, however, this glitch is not on all A2/B2 pressings.

Good luck! :wave:

wwright likes this.
  15. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I have a wonderful sounding UK blue-rimmed triangle with A3/B2 matrix numbers, and I've never heard a glitch during "Money". What was the glitch in "Money" that has been mentioned throughout this thread as appearing on a B2 matrix side?

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

16. progmog

progmog Senior Member

Part-way through the track 'Money', there is a small skip. Unfortunatley, I no longer have the copy that skipped, so I can't tell you exactly whereabouts in the track it occurs. Upon inspecting the vinyl, I recall that I couldn't detect any noticeable scratches or stitches, so I assume that it must have been a pressing flaw. As I mention above, though, this pressing flaw must have only occurred with certain mothers/stampers used for the A2/B2 pressing.

17. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

In'rsting, thanks prog. In what ways do you think your A2/B2 surpasses the A3/B3? To me, the thing that makes the A3/B3 stand out is the warmth of course but even more so what I look for is that 3D/ floating around the room soundstage that the best pressings have.

What r you hearing that makes that A2/B2 stand out from the A3/B3?

thanks for your input!

ODShowtime likes this.
  18. progmog

progmog Senior Member

DSOTM is one of those albums where you really can't go wrong; it's such a fantastic recording and you will get that warmth and soundstage with whatever version you go for, including the "holy grail", non-TO, black triangle CD!

I seem to recall that the A2/B2 was just a shade smoother & richer overall. Bottom line is that there really isn't a significant difference in sound quality between the two. The A3/B3 is certainly cheaper and you don't run the risk of ending up with a flawed pressing.

Hope that helps. :)

19. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

Thanks for clearing up that issue for me; my LP certainly does not skip during "Money", so I'm guessing that I have good B2 side.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

20. SergioRZ

I remember our host Steve Hoffman made some interesting comments about the Japan Pro Use LP (and I think he also commented on the UK/JP solid blue triangle LP's).

Did he say that the Japan Por Use was the only vinyl version made from the master tapes, flat transfer and all? Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

21. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

I like the MFSL LP, but I imagine some people will think there's a little too much EQ on it.

GyroSE likes this.
  22. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

My UK LP is an A3/B2 Gramophone rimmed. S1 is 5 GTM, S2 is 3 GMT. I've cleaned it on my RCM. It does not have groove wear and plays very nicely, with a little crackle here and there. Overall, it's in EX visual and playing condition.

Firstly, each side sounds about the same. We all have LPs where one side may sound significantly better than the other. On this pressing, even with different masters and slightly different mothers/stampers, each side is about the same.

Secondly, there is no glitch on Money. It plays perfectly, even though my S2 has a B2 matrix.

My question for the group is do any of your A2/A3 B2/B3 LPs play too hot? On quiet passages, my LP plays just fine. When things get busy, such as the loud passages of Time and Money, the LP has that Berry Gordy "over-saturated" sound. I assume the master tape does not do that, so either:

1) the stampers that made my LP were a bit tired; or
    2) the A3/B2 masters were cut too hot.

I have very few LPs that do this, so I know there is nothing wrong with my TT, cart, and so on. As I said, it's as if the busy loud passages have that over-saturated Motown 60's sound. I'm wondering if I should buy a later UK pressing, since some members say it was not cut as hot.

Thanks for your insights.

23. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Why doesn't anyone like the 30th anniversary? Between a US, a MFSL, and the 30th, it's the only one I kept. I don't think there is a boost in the top end, just that they didn't roll off the top end during mastering. There's just so much more there that was never cut to disc before, it's not like it was added in or anything. I love the high level of detail and the nice heavy disc.

24. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

If you want the best search out a German -2 pressing after comparing many different copies from early UK, Japanese, US, and numerous audiophile versions the German is the king. However it needs to be the -2.

25. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

I didn't like the 30th Anniversary LP because of the amount of sibilance. With my turntable/cartridge combination, it was unpleasant to listen to. Of course, YMMV. :shrug: