Best versions of John Coltrane's Atlantic Albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hypnotoad, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Anyone hear the new Bernie Grundman mastered LPs? How do they stand up to originals or the 70's issues with the red/green labels?

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

This is my question as well.

Evan

3. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

Does anyone have some of the Japanese Warner Pioneer set?

And has anyone compared late 70s/80s George Piros titles (AT/GP in dead wax) with earlier, say 1841 issues?

4. jazdoc

jazdoc Forum Resident

I own the "Heavyweight Champion" vinyl and it is pretty good. Recently purchased an original pressing of "My Favorite Things" and its excellent.

5. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

Pulled my Warner Pioneer Coltrane's Sound to compare against an 1841. Guess what: both have AT/GP deadwax. The Japanese copy sounds a little better but it's also pristine.

shutdown66 likes this.
  6. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

I have a bull's eye stereo pressing from the first stampers. It is a truly great way to hear this record. The closest sounding re-release I have heard is the 45 rpm set that came out a couple of years ago, although as mentioned before, the tape is now damaged.

7. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

HDTracks has a 192/24 download of Atlantic's "The Art of John Coltrane." I plan to download it this weekend.

8. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

I have Giant Steps LP reissue from 1969 (red/green label-Broadway address) and also My Favorite Things LP reissue from 1972 (red/green label-Broadway address).

Next to my original US issue CD's my Lp copy of My Favorite Things sounds better than the cd, and Giant Steps sounds like poop.

Does anyone have an opinion of how Coltrane Jazz LP reissues sound? I'm looking for an LP that may best my cd copy. There are three pressings available at soundstagedirect.com ranging from $25 - $13. The most expensive was mastered by Bernie Grundaman.

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

His name is Bernie Grundman :)

10. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

That's on sale for $15 at the big three audiophile dealers.

11. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Not sure about "Countdown", but I know "Equinox" missed the beginning notes. In fact, being used to that version, I was surprised when I got the album on the Rhino vinyl and found out the intro was longer!

12. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Mine as well. Have it on the way.

13. crispi

I also have the 1969 Giant Steps stereo reissue. Side B uses the original 1960 stampers. I think it sounds smokin' and have never encountered a better sounding CD version (it also bests the 45-r.p.m. cut in my opinion), since the stereo soundstage sounds very three-dimensional (which is small miracle for such a badly "left-right with nothing in the middle" mixed album). Maybe something wrong with your copy?

14. eyeCalypso

Perhaps there is something wrong with my copy. I'll have to revisit side 2. How does your side 1 sound?

15. crispi

Side A sounds thin and having less bottom end compared to side B, which sounds warm, tubey and meaty. On the other hand, the drums sound crisper on side A. Also, the channels are very slightly more panned towards the center on this side, you can hear that on Coltrane's sax. I definitely prefer the sound of side B, so I understand why people prefer the first (or second) pressing.

16. eyeCalypso

Thanks. I'm definitely going to revisit the '69 reissue with an ear towards the second side.

17. eyeCalypso

Thanks for pointing that out.

So how does his cut of Coltrane Jazz sound?

18. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Does anyone know whether the Original Album Series uses the old CD masters or the new ones? I'm not very familiar with Coltrane but the set doesn't appear to include bonus tracks.

Features
    • Record Label: Rhino

• Catalog#: 8122797710

• Country Of Release: NLD

• Year Of Release: 2011

• Notes: =Giant../Coltrane../Coltrane Plays../Coltrane'S Sound=
    Product Details
    Original Release Date:
    13 Jun 2011
    Label:
    CLASSICAL
    ASIN:
    B0050I2OXI
    Amazon.co.uk Sales Rank:

George P likes this.
  19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have all the 24 bit Japanese remasters released in the new series and really enjoy them. With these and the Heavyweight Champion vinyl I'm set.

20. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Old masters. This is a good thing. No loudness wars.

George P and Robert C like this.
  21. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Thanks!

22. Nathen

Nathen Forum Resident

I have both the Original Album Series box and the original Atlantic CDs and the mastering is different on each. There are bonus tracks on some of the original CDs too, unlike the ones in the box.

23. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

I am not a fan of Rhino's jazz remasters so I have original Atlantics for Trane. Most other jazz remasters have all been fine (sans BN RVG of course).

24. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

25. rogerthomas

rogerthomas New Member

I've got one...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.