Best version of Sonny Rollins' 1957 jazz classic "Way Out West"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WPLJ, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

WAY OUT WEST is a very tricky master.

I've heard the stereo masters and the monaural masters.

The sax channel (the left channel) needs a little help or it can sound too brittle. The right channel (bass and drums) needs mastering help of a different type.

If you want to hear (what I feel is) the best version, spring for the Analogue Productions 45 RPM set that Kevin and I mastered.

Don't like vinyl? Get the MoFi silver CD or the original JVC silver CD.

That's it for me on these. Everything else has fake echo dumped on it. I hate that.

Cassius, anth67, Sneezyachew and 2 others like this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

They're not, they do have a certain amount of echo. I've had them all.

Of the redbooks I've heard the MoFi silver CD sounds best to me.

hvbias likes this.
  3. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies ... I shall seek a Mofi disc (I dislike added reverb as well ...).

(Steve: I love vinyl, but not so much for jazz, mostly just Rock/Pop ... looking forward to yr. "Icky Thump" LP!)

4. YorkeS9

YorkeS9 Forum Resident

Here is the MFSL disc on ebay: 120114612462

Not my auction.

5. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Anyone knows if this album has ever been released in Mono on CD?

:confused:

6. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I have the MFSL silver disc and it is great. I haven't felt the need to replace it.

7. Sneaky Pete

I would like to hear the 45 rpm LP mastered by our host and Kevin. But I haven't had the chance.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Released in mono on CD? No.

The Sonny Rollins stereo tape is much more open sounding than the mono. Why? The stereo Ampex 350-2 octal was newer than the old mono 350 in design and had a better sound. I've heard both reels, the binaural and the full track mono and if I had to do a mono mastering of this album I'd use the stereo tape and combine the channels. It's that much better than the mono tape.

This was one of the last Contemporary albums to have a dedicated mono mix. Later on they just decided to fold-down the stereo tape to mono for cutting.

Cassius and kt66brooklyn like this.
  9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Last night I played my original Contemporary mono album, and was blown away by how good it sounds. The drums in particular are very in-your-face, and the recording has wonderful "air."

After reading Steve's comments, I'd love to hear his stereo remaster.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

Good vinyl mastering. If you have time, can you list the matrix numbers, etc. from the deadwax? Just curious. The original mono album was cut three times.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  11. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Thanks Steve.

I love this album, but sometimes that wide stereo separation just feels odd. Sure wish your mono master was available.

12. Steve Hoffman

Reopened by request.

jfeldt likes this.
  13. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

14. Sneaky Pete

That SACD box looks very nice. Unfortunately, I think it’s a hefty price especially for US residents. Which tape was used for Way Out West? Has anyone heard it?

I’ve had good luck with the CD and SACDs from Japan the last few years but the added shipping costs have limited my purchases.

15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The original stereo master was used. Sounds great. It is definitely the best digital version.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  16. action pact

It only took me 14 years years to respond, LOL, but here you go:

LKL-12-12-127-D2 (stamped, not etched)
    LKL-12-12-128-D2 (stamped, not etched)

Elsewhere in the deadwax, there is an H, which I presume means "Hollywood" (mastered by RCA?).

According to Discogs, D2 is the earliest cut. My copy appears to be a c.1959 pressing, with the "High Fidelity" banner at the bottom of the front cover.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
    nitsuj, wellers73 and Sneezyachew like this.
  17. action pact

This is very interesting to me. I'd always assumed that the mono pressing was just a fold from the binaural, since there is nothing in the center of the stereo field.

18. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Mentioned upthread, there were two simultaneous gold disc CD remasterings of WAY OUT WEST for Analogue Productions. One by Doug Sax and one by Bernie Grundman.

AP also did the same thing for Art Pepper's MEETS THE RHYTHM SECTION. FWIW, when I did my personal shootout I slightly preferred Grundman's.

jfeldt likes this.
  19. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I have the cd issued in Japan by Victor (VICJ) and am happy with that but I’d have to think that one of the better ones would be the ERC version.

20. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Generally if I already have one audiophile edition of a title, and I have owned the MFSL for this one, I do not get another and I don't keep multiple versions of albums. In this case I made the change to this...

[​IMG]
    Sonny Rollins – Way Out West
    Label:
    Analogue Productions – CAPJG 008
    Format: CD, Album, Limited Edition, Reissue, Stereo, 24 Karat Gold
    Released: 1992
    Genre: Jazz
    Style: Hard Bop

While I have absolutely no issues with this version and enjoy it I would have been fine keeping the MFSL.

21. action pact

Is that Victor CD the one from the '80s with the alternate cover photo? That one indeed sounds great, and has the original "dry" mix.

22. Steve Hoffman

Thanks for the info. I've been waiting, dang it!

23. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

Here is the original mono I have. Has an H in the deadwax too.

LKL-12-127-D1 H
    LKL-12-128-D1 H

[​IMG]

jgrillo and action pact like this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

Thank you. I wonder why they felt a need to recut it in 1959? They couldn't have sold so many. Maybe they changed pressing plants or farmed out a set of stamper plates? Didn't need to recut for that though. Maybe they cut a set of monos when they cut the first stereo versions? Or something changed in their cutting gear, an upgrade or something. Wish I knew..

action pact likes this.
  25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Steve I agree about your AP 45 rpm, the bandwidth on that one is awesome. I'm also glad to have the Mofi silver CD, no wonky EQ on that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.