Best Sounding "What's Going On"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scocs, Nov 20, 2007.

1. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

Do you know if I Want You on the 2fer has the same mastering as the older single disc version? Or if you're not sure, any chance you could post EAC peak levels for the 2fer? Thanks...

2. ted209

ted209 Forum Resident

Here are the levels for What's Going On / Lets Get It On:

77.8 / 88.1 / 67.7 / 87.2 / 71.1 / 74.0 / 96.0 / 71.1 / 86.3 / 100 / 84.7 / 72.0 / 99.0 / 84.3 / 89.4 / 88.4 / 58.1

Let's Get It On starts at track 10 (100%).

EDIT: oops, just seen this is already posted. Oh well, I can confirm it!!

3. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Ricks... no offense intended. I suspect what you hear is not the result of volume differences. Since they are different masterings, it's probably an EQ difference. :shrug:

I don't care if it's a new remaster or an 80s transfer from a tape copy. Whatever sounds best to me is what I prefer. :)

4. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

EAC values from my 1986 West German Tamla ZD 72456 2fer are different -

100.0 / 99.9 / 72.6 / 96.1 / 77.5 / 69.8 / 100.0 / 73.8 / 96.8 / 100.0 / 92.5 / 80.7 / 100.0 / 87.9 / 85.3 / 85.5 / 55.7

The mastering is credited to Tom Baker at Future Disc Systems.

5. Emerlist Davjack

Emerlist Davjack New Member

EVERY original US pressing I ever saw was a Dynaflex.

6. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

That's very strange. Is your WG twofer a Made in Japan disc? I have a German ZD72456 Made in Germany disc, and the What's Going On tracks have the EAC-levels of the MCC single disc. It's the same one as Emerlist Dayjack reports. Also more in this thread/post: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...mpact-classic-cds.150248/page-3#post-10594675.

7. Yost

Sorry, didn't mean Emerlist Dayjack, but John Cantrell:
    I would really like to know if the US release also has a Made in USA version and a Made in Japan version. And if the mastering differs?

8. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

This version is the one that I have, except there is a 1993 copyright date on the rear cover. It's made in France by PMDC. These are the same peaks as the MCC version, and I wouldn't be surprised that it is the Matousek mastering (doesn't some like the Lurssen master as described on this thread).

CrawdaddySim1 likes this.
  9. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I have the Japan 2fer R40M-1002 and like it very much.

Yost likes this.
  10. Yost

A bit off topic, but since you asked, and I own this disc, here are the EAC and DR levels for the twofer I Heard It Through The Grapevine / I Want You. Mine is a Japan for US disc (disc says "Made in Japan", booklet says "Printed in U.S.A."), Tamla TCDO8010TD, matrix TCD08010TD-T2F1. Mastering is credited to Matousek in the booklet.

I bought this disc for the I Want You tracks (starting from track 13) and love how it sounds. It's not compressed, an warm sounding. It's much better that the Reeves remaster (Deluxe Edition, 2003) and also better as the Lurssen remaster (1998, single disc). In comparison with the Lurssen disc, the horns are better sounding on the Lurssen disc, as if the twofer is based on a lesser quality master tape. But the Lurssen disc is more bass heavy and the twofer sounds more natural overall.

Code:
    EAC     DR         Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

87.4    DR14       01 Marvin Gaye - You.wav
    79.5    DR14       02 Marvin Gaye - Tear It On Down.wav
    94.4    DR14       03 Marvin Gaye - Chained.wav
    76.8    DR14       04 Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine.wav
    79.4    DR13       05 Marvin Gaye - At Last (I Found A Love).wav
    67.4    DR13       06 Marvin Gaye - Some Kind Of Wonderful.wav
    74.6    DR13       07 Marvin Gaye - Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever.wav
    77.2    DR14       08 Marvin Gaye - Change What You Can.wav
    88.0    DR13       09 Marvin Gaye - It's Love I Need.wav
    91.7    DR13       10 Marvin Gaye - Every Now And Then.wav
    87.3    DR15       11 Marvin Gaye - You're What's Happening In The World Today.wav
    73.1    DR13       12 Marvin Gaye - There Goes My Baby.wav
    81.6    DR12       13 Marvin Gaye - I Want You.wav
    66.4    DR14       14 Marvin Gaye - Come Live With Me Angel.wav
    67.2    DR12       15 Marvin Gaye - After The Dance (Instrumental).wav
    66.3    DR13       16 Marvin Gaye - Feel All My Love Inside.wav
    55.0    DR14       17 Marvin Gaye - I Wanna Be Where You Are.wav
    39.9    DR16       18 Marvin Gaye - I Want You (Intro Jam).wav
    81.8    DR13       19 Marvin Gaye - All The Way 'Round.wav
    66.9    DR12       20 Marvin Gaye - Since I Had You.wav
    74.6    DR13       21 Marvin Gaye - Soon I'll Be Loving You.wav
    62.1    DR16       22 Marvin Gaye - I Want You (Intro Jam).wav
    64.2    DR13       23 Marvin Gaye - After The Dance (Vocal).wav
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. To bring this thread back from the dead...

I have the 1994 and Deluxe Editions (the latter for the alternate mix). Since then, I notice the following high-res versions, all of which seem to be available at one price or another.

MFSL SACD
    SHM-SACD
    HFPA Blu-Ray
    24/192 HDTracks download

Are any of these worth springing for over the two I already have? If so, which would be your preference (of the ones you've actually heard, that is). Needless to say, I don't really want to be shelling out for all of them!

12. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The best I have heard is the platinum-SHM mastering.

haastilecreation likes this.
  13. Are you referring to the SHM-SACD or the SHM-CD? Or are they the same mastering?

14. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Description reads: "HR cutting from the DSD master which was newly flat transferred from US original analogue master tapes in 2013."

So the Platinum SHM-CD is not the same as the 2010 SHM-SACD (remastered by MFSL).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  15. I'm surprised no one else has seen fit to comment on this. (It also seems odd to me that there seem to have been three recent, completely-different remasterings of this in the past couple of years: the SHM-CD, the HDtracks, and the HFPA. Normally, HPFAs seem to be either the SHM remastering or the one on offer at HDtracks, but, this time, it seems all three are different.)

16. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Sounds like folks are spoiled for choice when it comes to this album. I've settled on the original Motown CD (thanks to a recommendation I received here), and it's the best one to my ears.

17. "Original Motown CD" = the two-fer?

18. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

19. I guess what strikes me is that I can imagine a new remastering that may be better (or not) than what was available before. I can even imagine a second remastering, if the producers thought the first wasn't as good as it could have been. But a third -- and all of these produced by the same company? I could understand multiple remasterings if, say, they were being done by competing specialty companies like MoFi or AF, but we're talking about three different mastering jobs, all coming from divisions of Universal over the course of a couple of years at most -- and, in the case of the HDtracks and HFPA versions, likely both from the same division.

:confused:

20. The 1994/1998 Lurssen remaster of What's Going On is still my favorite in the sound department.

andy75 and RomanBlade like this.
  21. And, just to add the to the confusion, from what I can gather, two of those masterings -- the HDtracks and the SHM-CD, were both done by the same engineer (Kevin Reeves) on two different occasions, using two different studios. The HDtracks was transferred to 24/192, while the SHM-CD was transferred to DSD, then converted to 24/176 before being reconverted to Redbook for final output. That's right...when they did the SHM-CD, they did a new DSD transfer, even though they had already done the SHM-SACD a couple of years before, and any possible use for the transfer would be in a PCM format. And, while you might expect the same engineer to come up with results that were pretty much identical, the DR Database indicates not just minor differences in DR levels on most tracks, but pretty substantial level differences between tracks from one version to another. :wtf:

22. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Do you guys have any idea how I can get my hands on that CD?

CrawdaddySim1 likes this.
  23. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

24. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Make sure it's the 01 matrix. The later versions are a different mastering.

Monosterio likes this.