Best Sounding "What's Going On"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scocs, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I'd like to figure this out too..I bought this on recommendation from namretsam a few months ago and my UK copy has the 530 022-2 with the matrix number being 5300222/H 01 & It also says Made in the UK by PMDC, and also has another smaller inscription that reads IFPI 0462.

No credit for remastering on it...

2. Bob Olhsson

Bob Olhsson Motown Legend

James played bass on about half of the album and Bob Babbitt played bass on the other half. As far as I know only the Funk Brothers and Marvin himself played anything on the album. Just to add to the confusion, I understand there may also be two "Detroit mixes" and I have no idea which is in the deluxe set. My copy seems to have disappeared for the moment.

David del Toro likes this.
  3. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Between the '94 slipcase version and the Deluxe Edition, I prefer the '94 by a mile for the actual album. I've never heard the vinyl. I absolutely hate the sound of every Deluxe Edition I own. Really a terrible series for sound quality. I also find the content of a lot of the Deluxe's bloated. Sometimes it's nice to just listen the original 40 minutes of a classic piece of music and enjoy it for what it is. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

The Marvin Gaye Chronicles set is listed as being remastered by Gavin Lurssen and contains What's Going On, Let's Get It On, and I Want You. Maybe someone who owns it can confirm this.

http://www.answers.com/topic/chronicles-rhythm-blues-album-2?cat=entertainment
    http://wm06.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:gnfyxqlsldhe

Places to purchase:
    http://answers.shopping.com/xFS?KW=Chronicles+Marvin+Gaye&FN=Media&FD=96649&linkin_id=7000800
    http://wc10.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:0bddylo5xpcl~T4

Attached Files:

5. ivor

ivor Senior Member

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Now, that's interesting! The Detroit mix of the one on the DE set has the title cut with the strings mixed up, like the common stereo mix, but it also has the rhythm section mixed like the single, if that is of any help.

Yes. I used to own it.

7. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I saw a post from nam stating Dan Hersch has a credit in the tray card? I'd imagine Bill was involved too...

9. George P

George P Notable Member

You mentioned on another thread that the 1998 mastering by Lurssen is probably the same as the 1994 one that many on this forum enjoy, just with less packaging.

Can anyone confirm this?

10. Francis

Francis Active Member

I have the 1998 Lurssen-mastered CD (using 20-bit technology as stated in the 4-pages booklet). It sounds very good to my ears but I would like to know if it's the same mastering than the 1994 CD many people here are talking about. I would be surprised if What's Going On had been remastered twice in 4 years by the same mastering engineer but who knows ?

Anyone ? :help:

11. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I like the 2fer.

12. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Is the The Marvin Gaye Chronicles set the same mastering as the '94 Gavin Lurssen mastering?

Anybody? :help:

13. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

I have the Lursson and an early Japan for US that matches your peak levels. The Japan CD has the "Motown Compact Classic" packaging. I'm currently trying to decide which I like best. The Lursson has heaps more bass, a bit over the top for my tastes. However the Japan sounds a bit aenemic in direct comparison. Listen to the Japan in isolation though and it comes into its own a bit - it's lovely and smooth, with perfect upper EQ (early Japan CD's are often too bright for me). I wouldn't call the Lursson harsh - the difference is like comparing the Doug Sax The Wall to the WG Blackface, for example.

I wonder if this is the mastering used on the twofer?

14. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Hi, The twofer is a different mastering.

Twofer = Tamla, mastered by Tom Baker
    Compact Classics = Motown, mastered by John Matousek

rxcory likes this.
  15. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Thanks, do you know how they compare for SQ?

16. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I only recently acquired my 2fer and for under $2 USD :) Have not yet compared. I also have the R28M, when I have some time I will a/b/c all 3.

17. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

That should be an interesting shootout, although you lost me on R28M :confused:

18. George P

George P Notable Member

I compared the 1994 Lurssen to the 1998 Lurssen and my ears hear no difference.

19. Francis

Francis Active Member

Good news, I won't have to look for the 1994 CD... Thanks, George ! :righton:

20. Francis

Francis Active Member

The R28M is probably an early Japanese pressing.

21. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Hi. Correct. Just acquired recently it was pretty cheap so I figured why not. It also appears to be a unique mastering as it differs from the twofer and the MCC. Here are the EAC peaks for the few of us who are actually interested in them.

Attached Files:

22. George P

George P Notable Member

:righton:

23. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I decided to pull out my original 1971 domestic Tamla pressing, and I am grooving over the clear separation of the instruments, and the presence of Marvin's voice. The mastering is smooth and fluid, and the song transitions are jolting like they are on CD. I'm starting to wonder if it can ever sound this good on a CD. I'm beginning to wonder how the new 180 gram pressing sounds in comparison to this LP.

I highly recommend all who can afford to do so to get a turntable. Steve just said the same thing on another thread. More fun!

24. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

25. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident