Best Sounding OJCs? (Original Jazz Classics) Fantasy/Prestige/Riverside/Contemporary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Trevor_Bartram, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Reopened by request

2. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

One 1984 OJC I can highly recommend is Vince Guaraldi Trio. The original 1956 Fantasy issue is very rare and was pressed on red vinyl, which in my experience never plays quietly. For a piano trio, the quiet vinyl is a big benefit. There is a 2015 OJC reissue that is a different cut and might be great but I've never heard it.

[​IMG]

ETSEQ and yasujiro like this.
  3. Jazz Man

Jazz Man Forum Resident

Does anyone have any info on the sound quality of Miles Davis' Blue Moods OJC CD?

I'm looking for the best CD version of it, but hard to find info on it since it was during the prestige years, but not on prestige

[​IMG]

I can see from the booklet online that it was mastered by Kirk Felton, who used Sonic Solutions on one of the OJC Sonny Stitt discs he did and would like to avoid that if possible

4. Steve Hoffman

Avoid.

5. Jazz Man

Jazz Man Forum Resident

Good to know, thanks Steve!

Might be a little off topic, but what would you recommend for this title on CD? It's one of my favorites of early Miles and not found in any of the Prestige box sets since it was recorded for Debut?

6. Steve Hoffman

Haven’t heard any others. Sorry.