Best Sounding Goblin on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sentinel90125, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Honestly, if you're just concerned about sound quality, I'd say no. I think the original Italian LP pressing is too bright, the old Japanese pressings are from a needledrop, and the Ciak LP isn't as good as the CD. There are tons of foreign pressings, but each one I've tried has issues, usually due to being made from a copy tape. Believe it or not, my favorite LP is the recent AMS release which is digital. Go figure. No clue how they got that one right.

whiskeyvengeance and albertop like this.
  2. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

You're awesome. Glad to have a resident Goblin expert 'round these parts.

izgoblin likes this.
  3. sentinel90125

sentinel90125 Forum Resident Thread Starter

To izgoblin and other Goblin experts out there, any preference on which CD masterings for the following titles?
    • Buio Omega
    • Contamination
    What about these Simonetti titles?
    • Opera
    • Demoni
    As always, thanks for your expertise!

4. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Buio Omega had two different CD releases. The second one improves on the first IMO in that the tracks run more or less in the order as they appear in the film instead of putting the tracks originally prepared for an unreleased LP at the front. I *think* they may have improved on the mastering a little but I'm not sure, as I do recall that the first version gets really weak and quiet on the track "Bikini Island". Anyway, the CD I'd say you wanna get is this one: Goblin - Buio Omega (The Complete Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) It could be mastered better, but it's the best we've got.

Contamination is easy - get the current 2016 pressing seen here: Goblin - Contamination The original Japanese CD *may* sound just a hair better, but this one is not only very good but it also contains some essential bonus tracks. Since the original album repeats tracks from Buio Omega, you're better off with this long version of the score. Last I checked, this was very affordable on Amazon. Don't hesitate!

For the Simonetti stuff, you're giving me a bit of a challenge here.

Opera - I haven't compared the available CDs, but I know the first 2003 version on Simonetti's DeepRed label is loud, compressed, modern-sounding. I'd bet the ones that followed are either as bad if not worse. For that reason, I'd say go with whatever one you can find for the least amount of cash.

Demons - The DeepRed issue of this is also loud and compressed and frankly I don't find the bonus tracks all that useful and the best ones can be found elsewhere. Since the original Japanese CD is rare and expensive as hell, I'd actually recommend that you buy the Simonetti comp called "Evil Tracks" which contains the six tracks composed for the film which are found on the other discs plus three other Simonetti scores. Sure, it won't say Demons on the cover or spine and it is missing the remix of "Out of Time" (credited in the film but not heard), but this is a nice sounding disc with music not currently found elsewhere. Claudio Simonetti - Evil Tracks (check around as I was told these were repressed more recently and should be relatively cheap)

The_Windmill likes this.
  5. sentinel90125

sentinel90125 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is very helpful! Thanks, izgoblin!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.