Best Sounding Goblin on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sentinel90125, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HumanMachinery

HumanMachinery Forum Resident

I just found out about Perché Si Uccidono. Any advice on which CD to pick up?

2. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

This one from Cinevox for certain:

http://www.discogs.com/Il-Reale-Impero-Britannico-Perché-Si-Uccidono/release/530340

The first Japanese release will be more costly and is extremely similar if not digitally identical, and the later Japanese pressings would be poorly remastered.

I used to have a great needledrop from the original LP before the Cinevox CD came out, and when I compared the two by ear, I couldn't hear a clear difference.

The_Windmill and HumanMachinery like this.
  3. HumanMachinery

Thank you. Much appreciated.

4. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

Did you ever get a chance to do another spin of the Japanese version of this LP? I have my eyes on one for what I think is a fair price but if it's a dud I'll pass.

5. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Unfortunately I haven't listened to it recently enough to give you a better, more detailed response. However, I don't recall it being a "dud" as such. After listening to the same CD mastering for many years, I just felt that some of the highs were tamed on the Japanese LP in comparison. To be fair, some might feel that's a good thing. I can't recall if that was more of an observation or if it actually bugged me. Given that neither of the original Italian LPs is absolutely perfect (though one is clearly much better than the other), I'd say if you really can get the Japanese one at a good price in nice condition, go for it! Then let us know what you thought. :)

6. whiskeyvengeance

Thanks! I'll be sure to let you know. On a related note: would $50 plus shipping from Japan be a good price on the Cherry Five Nexus LP? They don't seem to turn up on Discogs that often...

7. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I hope I'm not too late on this, but at that price, GRAB IT!!!!

8. whiskeyvengeance

You're not too late. In fact, within a few minutes of the auction closing it shot up to over $120, which priced me out right then and there. Such is life. At least I have the King CD en route from Japan. Maybe I'll get the AMS reissue to get my vinyl fix for this album.

9. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Goblin. Hoy, can't say I've heard of them. I've heard of Jareth the Goblin King (David Bowie in "Labyrinth").

10. Django

Django Forum Resident

I have the awakening boxset & the fantastic voyage of goblin compilation both on CD.

Scope J likes this.
  11. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Progressive, mostly instrumental and sometimes funky rock perfectly suited for film soundtracks. I used to compare them to Pink Floyd, but that is not to say that either band sounds even remotely like the other.

hi_watt and the sands like this.
  12. Harrysong

Harrysong Well-Known Member

I have found that any of the Japanese releases of the Goblin albums are far superior sounding to any other release.....especially the European ones. They are poor in comparison. Profondo Rosso is stunning on the original Japanese CD release.

13. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Glad you enjoy the Japanese Profondo Rosso. I still prefer the first Italian Ciak CD to all others, but you're right, the older '80s CDs issues are definitely better than the mid-90s Cinevox CDs in general, though my specific preferences are outlined earlier in this thread.

14. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

after searching, this seems like the most logical thread to post this. . .

just locked my order in for synapse film's 40th anniversary edition (limited to 6000) of argento's suspiria:

Suspiria - 40th Anniversary Synapse Exclusive 4K Remaster [Limited Edition Two-Disc Blu-ray + CD Steelbook] (Only 6000 Produced) - Synapse Films

noted in the features section is the following:

• Exclusive CD remaster of Goblin’s SUSPIRIA motion picture soundtrack, containing additional tracks not included on the original 1977 soundtrack release
    anyone have any additional info on this? wondering if it's the same master that the now OOP anchor bay dvd edition that came out years ago. . .which is the version of the album on cd that i have.

would be nice to know for certain whether or not this is a new remaster.

i suspect it's not but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. . .

hi_watt likes this.
  15. HumanMachinery

So now I'm interested in the Cherry Five self-titled album. I see a number of CD editions floating around, includin Crime (KICP 2709), Vinyl Magic (VM 035), Cinevox (CD MDF 349), and Nexus (K32Y 2054).

Does anyone have recommendations?

izgoblin likes this.
  16. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

There's another great Goblin thread floating around here. It may have the answer you're looking for. Try a search.

HumanMachinery likes this.
  17. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

"Official" Goblin Thread & Album by Album

HumanMachinery likes this.
  18. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Don't know, but I can't wait to receive my copy!

19. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Yes, whichever one of those you can get at a fair price EXCEPT the Cinevox MDF 349. It starts off incredibly quiet and then the volume increases gradually during the first or second track. Totally careless.

I haven't checked it since I upgraded my system (and ears, heh), but whereas Vinyl Magic releases often could be from vinyl, I don't think that one was. I recall it sounding very similar to the early Japanese discs which are the ones I come back to and would say you should grab if they're still out there cheap. I know the Vinyl Magic disc is certainly affordable.

Stay away from the more recent Japanese releases though on the Arcangelo and Belle Antique labels. Compression city.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    The_Windmill and HumanMachinery like this.
  20. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I don't know for sure, but here's my educated guess:

1) It's either not an exclusive remaster, or
    2) It still isn't going to sound as good as it should

This was a good recording made at the very capable Orthoponic Studio in Rome. Unfortunately, most of the CD issues don't show off how good that album can sound.

I believe the Anchor Bay disc is pretty much a copy of the then-current Cinevox CD which is decent enough.

21. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I have a cd called Goblin 1975-1989. How's the sound quality?

22. HumanMachinery

Wait, wait... there's a REGION 1 version?!

*knows what to do with his next paycheck*

23. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

That disc made use of digital noise reduction which the Cinevox mastering guys didn't use, even with all that could have been done better. It's a cheap disc and not bad if someone wants a taste of what Goblin is like, or even to get the rare one-offs "Wampyr" and "Chi?", but the use of no-noise or similar is unfortunate.

driverdrummer likes this.
  24. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

whiskeyvengeance likes this.
  25. whiskeyvengeance

Question for @izgoblin: Is there any reason to upgrade to vinyl from my Profondo Rosso Ciak CD? If so, what pressing would you recommend?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.