Best sounding AJA on LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Was this the sealed one on ebay last week? If your not impressed enough with it, I'll gladly take it off your hands!!

2. Hi,

I just looked at my ABC LP and the deadwax infor says:

AA 1006-A (RE-4) 1C
    AA 1006-B (RE-4) 1B

Does RE-4 mean Release 4? Is the sound on a RE-4 inferior to a RE-3?

John

3. John

John Senior Member Thread Starter

Good question John- No idea, maybe Steve can chime in on this one. Double checked my AJA stampers, not like yours after all James,
    Side 1: AA (scratched out B) 1006 (RE-5) A
    Side 2: AA 1006 (scratched out B) (RE-3) B P3

4. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

About Re-1's

John, I asked the same question about RE-1 and Steve Hoffman replied to it thus:

Starting mainly in the 1970's, when a record was cut for the first time, the master tapes were used, and during the cutting process, a second tape machine was recording the mastering moves on to a tape copy. This tape copy (since it had the mastering right on it) was used for all recuts instead of going back to the original master tape and having to dial in all the mastering again.

This meant that all recuts would sound the same as the mastering of the first cutting (just a generation of tape removed). So any old engineer could do a recut if a metal part wore out or was damaged and have it uniform with any other cutting.

What they didn't take in to account is that there is more to disc cutting than threading up the tape and hitting "start".

This tape copy was usually marked "EQ'D CUTTING MASTER" or "Production Master" and also used to make tape copies for other countries.

Years later when CD's came in, some companies oopsed and used these tapes for mastering CD's. The problem with that is that a CD doesn't necessarily need the same mastering as an LP.

Heckto35 likes this.
  5. James Glennon

STEELY DAN: Question about the "RE's" that were cut from dubs

John,

This is a thread I started a while back, if you search the forum you will get all the responses including Steve's 'succinct' (now there's a big word) answer.

JG

6. crt-user

crt-user New Member

I have what was a sealed copy on MFSL of Steely Dan Aja LP wich I paid $125 on ebay for. Cover and LP all mint. But actually I think the sound on my nice but used (EX/NM-) copy wich is ABC original yellow label mfg. by RCA music services sounds actually better. Seems the highs on the MFSL are over emphised. Just a more natural and punchy sound on the ABC original. And the same goes for Pink floyd DSOTM LP on early MFSL. The original early Harvest records LP just seems more lively and punchy. Any opinions ? I agree with what better-records says that the original always beats the audiophile copy, but I dont think I would ever pay their high prices !

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I had the ABC Aja; played it for years, and enjoyed it. Bought the MFSL sealed, enjoyed it, got rid of the ABC. I think both are fine sounding records, and I've never heard my inner-voice complain about the MFSL. YMMV.

Heckto35 likes this.
  8. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

I came upon a 1st pressing of Steely Dan Aja and it's incredibly reveling! Great flat transfer with excellent dynamic range and clarity. Original ABC records label with AB1006(re-3)-A. 1A. in deadwax. Best I've heard so far! Much more accurate than the mofi version that I've heard. Thoughts?

9. James Glennon

I had two copies of Aja, one was AA1006 and the other AB1006, both were mint. In my ignorance all those years ago I got rid of one of them the AB1006 thinking that the AA1006 was the original, years later I found out that the AB1006 was the original. I have been striving to get an AB1006 ever since without any luck. You lucky b%st%rd!

JG

10. PaulE

PaulE Forum Resident

11. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

James, do you also have the Cisco reissue?

12. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

I've got an AA1006, the MFSL, and the Cisco.
    The winner: Cisco.

13. attym

attym Forum Resident

I have a yellow vinyl Canadian pressing. I wonder how that compares. Same pressing/parts?

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

15. htbomb

htbomb Hot Rod

Love the MoFi. One of my favortie demo albums, too.

Heckto35 likes this.
  16. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

I think the earliest AB1006 with Re-3 and 1A or 1B are the best of the originals, though there might be some other diamonds out there, never heard the Japanese or Canadian. The Cisco is also pretty amazing, if only a bit more polite than originals. Just involving music in any format I reckon.

mikeyt likes this.
  17. James Glennon

Yeah, I do have, I wasn't overly impressed by it when I heard it first, haven't played in quite a while!

JG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.