Best Peter Gabriel on CD - PG 1 - 4 and So...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OldJohnRobertson, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

I think the WG target version of PG4 is fantastic. I haven't heard the remaster, but I really don't need to as the target offers everything I need for this album.

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The SACD of UP is really good!

3. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less Thread Starter

I agree. The WG target is very dynamic and full of power and life.

4. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I like the remasters, but honestly I've never head a PG cd that didn't sound good.

5. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

Isn't an SACD of 4/Security sort of pointless because it was an all-digital recording to begin with?

It's good to hear that PG on CD has been for the most part good. Also, since there are no bonus tracks on the remasters, we can cut straight to SQ and not have to consider other enticements.

Alas, I have no PG CDs, so I'll be interested to see the final verdict

6. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Peter Gabriel 4/Security was an all digital recording, but still must have had an analog stage between the digital master and CD/SACD for transfer.

Either it was mastered twice for the European CD, or it's possible that it's a variation on the first mastering.

7. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

Does anybody know what sample rate and bit depth Security was recorded at?

8. LesPaul666

It depends. Not sure if it was done on a Mitsubishi or a 3M. I think they both had a sampling frequency of 50Khz at 16 bits. I guess it's possible that it may have been done on a Sony DASH machine, which would probably use 16/48khz.

9. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

They are different masterings. These are the waveforms from track 1.

800 091-2

Attached Files:

10. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

PGCD4

Attached Files:

11. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Sounds fantastic to me...

12. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

For 'So', I have the black triangle, and the SACD, and a fond memory of the US
    Gefen release. I bought the black triangle because of the reviews on the forum, but I am not overly impressed with it. The SACD sounds better to me, but I remember the US Gefen sounding better, especially on certain parts of 'Mercy Street'. I will have to track down one for $5 or $6 at the used store and have a shootout.

13. PG3 was first released in the USA on Geffen in 1987 on CD, distributed by WEA. The disc is pressed by Sony DADC USA. I have it and got when it was released.

PG4 (Security) is the same disc as the first pressing of Charisma version. PolyGram (Phonogram) distributed Charisma early in the CD age, prior to Virgin acquiring Charisma. The CDs are the same, save for label and inserts. Same matrix, etc.

When EMI acquired Virgin, they pressed the CDs at their Swindon, UK plant and later their Holland plant. The mastering may have changed.

PG1 and PG2 first pressings were on ATCO & Atlantic made by WEA Mfg USA for the USA. These are WEA mastered discs and are different compared to the V/Cs.

danielbravo likes this.
  14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The US cd release is fantastic.

15. LesPaul666

I guess they mastered it more than once then. There may be more just going on how many different versions of V/C's we seem to find here. My WG PGCD4 Blue faced V/C has the 800 091-2 matrix, like the Target. I guess it's time to start checking out some more PG masterings.
    :D

16. LesPaul666

For So-(PGCD5), I found that the original Geffen U.S and Black Triangle CD masterings were the same, IIRC. The original JVC Japan for U.S. was slightly different, and lower in level.

17. herky10

herky10 Forum Resident

The complete "Plays Live" double set is available on Japanese "mini-vinyl" CD.

18. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less Thread Starter

Cutting that album down to 12 tracks was so unbelievably stupid. I have the US Geffen double LP set and I've gotta say...that's an awesome album start to finish. Not a bad moment to be had.

19. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

I prefer the redbook remasters for all ('Car' through Us, including the Japanese complete Plays Live, also remastered by Cousins) to the original US CD releases, with the possible exception of So, which just sounds ever-so-slightly too bright to me. I always thought Us sounded too muddy originally, and the remaster helps that (without causing the reaction I had to So). I & II are the clear "no-brainers" in terms of standout improvements.

20. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Sounds like I can go cheap with these and get the common US Geffen discs and be okay. I am looking to get 3,4, and So.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.