Best Living Stereo SACDs to start a collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill Mac, Sep 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M.Deutrom

M.Deutrom Forum Resident

The Mahler 4th by Reiner/CSO is excellent. The Chopin Scherzi by Arthur Rubinstein is
    a wonderful recording and performance.

2. moops

moops Senior Member

CD box arrived today. This is an absolute steal. This is a European manufactured set, the discs carry a 2004/2012 Made In The EU credit. The discs are housed in single mini-lp replica cardboard sleeves for each album. From inspecting a few they are in perfect condition, no scuffs or scratches, they can be removed easily without scratching the CD. A fantastic little 250 page book contains historical notes about the project and each individual CD performance. There is also a short essay from Soundmirror's John Newton with regards the DSD mastering process used for the project. I grabbed this new from Amazon France about 2 weeks ago, however the price since then has jumped back up - I got it shipped to Australia for $62.00 EURO ?? Anyway, it may be on sale again, keep and eye out and grab it !

PhantomStranger likes this.
  3. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Sorry I didn't catch your post a while back. I see you have bought the box. Enjoy!

For anyone else interested, to be clear: the SACD layer and the CD layer of the SACDs were mastered by the same people from the same transfer. The CDs in the 60 CD box are the CD layer of the SACD releases.

moops likes this.
  4. That can't be true, since there are 60 CDs in the set, and only 54 if them were released on SACD.

5. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

It is. The 60 CD box includes a bonus "Living Stereo Sampler" not included in the SACD lists (not the earlier CD) and 5 of those 54 SACD titles were double disc. It says "60 CDs" not "60 titles." :)

6. What are the tracks on the sampler?

7. The_Rover

The_Rover Senior Member

Nightfly, Do you Know where can I get the complete listing of the original releases of the 54 SACD Tltles?

Thanks!

8. Say

Say Forum Resident

[​IMG]Analogue Productions makes an SACD of this title

[​IMG]

They all are good. Here's a couple to get you started.

9. David.m

David.m Forum Resident

10. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

Adventure is what it's all about. I just remind you, you are checking it out because it's different.
    It is. So your first impression in many cases will be boredom simply because it's a vernacular you are not
    acquainted with yet. If you are not making it on some symphony, do not force yourself to listen for thirty minutes.
    Maybe, just stop after the first movement. Maybe the next day take another shot at the first movement.
    The point is that forcing it, or making it into work never works. Just like with people, give yourself the time and space
    to get acquainted. and as the other guy said...... have fun. :) You may find your favorite all time music in this world
    After all, there's five hundred years of it!!!! :)

11. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

12. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

Well, I told you guys, that I’m a late bloomer … But I ordered a couple of these. I’ll let you know then what I liked about them. It’s nice that I can order where the prises are best. Can’t order from US, because it might get customs interested …
    TCB/JJ

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.