Best Living Stereo SACDs to start a collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill Mac, Sep 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

:righton:

2. sean3089

sean3089 Forum Resident

The Chicago Symphony under Fritz Reiner wasn't too shabby.

The Charles Munch SACD's are a good bet too.

The Strauss/Don Quixote/Reiner is great, but the SACD is getting top dollar. I have the Red Book version and the sound is top-notch.

3. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Reiner in Strauss, Mussorgsky and Respighi must be at the top of the Living Stereo list.

4. David.m

David.m Forum Resident

One thing to consider though, particularly if you have SACD playback, is a common theme from reviews that the SACDs are a significant improvement over the Living Stereo CD releases. I don't know if the CD layer of the hybrids are the same master as the CD only releases & I've not listened to any of the CDs myself, just some info worth mentioning.

5. CRSearle

CRSearle Member

This is one of the Living Stereo SACDs I've passed on. I think I'll give it a shot now. Thx for the recommendation.

6. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I finally got around to comparing a couple of the SACDs to the CDs from the box. I prefer the CDs. I have two more SACDs to compare this weekend.

7. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

anything Munch or Reiner

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident Thread Starter

I finally have had some time to listen to the two Living Stereo SACDs. I am presently listening to Rhapsody In Blue and I am enjoying it very much :). This is a first for me as I have never owned any classical music so it is all new to me. I definitely find the music to be quite dynamic which I'm sure is quite common in classical music. I'm finding the SQ to be excellent for a recording from 1959-1961. My second SACD is Ravel Bolero La Valse which I will listen to next. Even at the low prices of the LS SACDs I wonder if buying the CD box set would be a better choice. I guess it depends on whether I feel the need to have the whole LS collection.

Bill

9. Bill Mac

pw,

Would you mind commenting in what regard you prefer the Living Stereo CDs over the SACDs. Thanks :)!

Bill

10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

IMO get the SACD's. At the price they are you really can't afford not to get them. Given people are spending far far more on Japanese SACD's that are not as good.

The SACD layer sounds better, and you have the option of three channel if you want that.

I have some very recent different redbook masterings of some of this material (Sony Europe have a newish series of LS redbook releases) and they sound excellent but the SACDs sound better.

11. Bill Mac

Jim,

Thanks for your thoughts :). I was just looking at the 60 CD box set on Amazon and I highly doubt I need the complete box set. I think I will buy a few more SACDs from those recommended here and on sa-cd.net. I will build on the collection as the prices are less than what an average new CD goes for. I agree that some SACD prices specifically SHM-SACDs are very overpriced for the sonic improvement over the RBCD.

Bill

12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Yes.

Mind you the SHM-SACDs are cheap compared to the Esoteric SACDs. Lots of great vintage material but 10 times the cost of what I could get a redbook cd for. That's pretty hard to justify, even for a favourite work.

But the LS SACDs are without doubt the best bargain on the music market, classical or rock or anything, that you can get at the moment. Get as many as you can now.

13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I ordered it the other day on the recommendation of a forum member whom I know well and who's opinion I respect. It should arrive today.

Admittedly, I don't know if all the titles in the CD box were released on SACD.

14. Bill Mac

Keith,

I would be interested in your thoughts on the differences between the CDs and the SACDs that you own.

Bill

15. :wave:Regarding the Living Stereo box set, which contains 60 titles: only 54 albums were released during the commercial shelf life of RCA's SACD series, so you'd be getting at least 6 titles that aren't available on SACD...

16. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I haven't seen mentioned above the Stokowski "Rhapsodies" disc, which is one of my favorites.

[​IMG]

peteham and Robin L like this.
  17. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Many years ago I had similar results until I learned about proper Analog B*** Management. Those who listen to SACD via analogue out and get a "thin" sound need to learn about ABM.

BTW try to type the word BASS using bold on the B, if you do so it is "corrected" to B***

18. moops

moops Senior Member

I'm looking to grab a few of these, I don't have SACD playback but thought well, they're hybrid discs anyway so it doesn't matter. Then I thought does the 60 CD box set represent better value ? But I'm kind of confused and after a lot of reading still confused. How many editions of the box has there been as some suggest the mastering on the current 60 CD edition differs from the mastering that you would find on the CD layer of the hybrid discs ? Is that right ? Should I just play it safe and get the hybrid SACDs ? :help:

19. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

You should read this thread started by our host. Includes his recommendations.

I already have the last two symphonies by Schubert (the Unfinished and the Great) recorded in the 50s because I liked them when we were learning about them back in high school. Great recordings.

I also have Puccini's Madama Butterfly with Leontyne Price. Although I have never been to the opera and do not listen to any other ones, this double disc sacd is so fascinating, that I can always sit though it with awe. I love it.

And I am looking forward to hearing the Grand Canyon Suite recommended by our host in the above mentioned thread (my order is on route).

20. moops

moops Senior Member

Thanks, I have read it, but what I'm trying to confirm from anybody who has recently purchased the 60 CD set released 2012, does the booklet mention anything about the CD mastering, is it the same mastering from the CD layer of the SACDs, or is it different ? Anybody ?

21. moops

moops Senior Member

Well I've taken a gamble on the 60 CD box as it contains the harder to find titles as well. $92.00 delivered to my door from Amazon France. Pretty sweet deal ! :)

PH416156 likes this.
  22. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

I can't disagree more, but it is a system dependent observation. There are a few SACDs that don't sound any better than the CD's in the boxset, but I don't think that the SACD sounds worse.

I would not take anything away from the CDs in the Boxset since they are excellent in content and sound for the most part.

Along with the others that have been mentioned, here are a few SACDs that I would like to add to the list.

Franck: Symphony in D Minor
    Cello Concertos
    Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3- Organ / Debussy:
    Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra / Music for Strings / Percussion & Celesta / Hungarian Sketches

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  23. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

AP is apparently doing some of the LPs again, but they're doing mostly the same titles Classic did, I mean why not give us something new, lots of LSC which have never been reissued, lot's of Fiedler's etc.

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Gary Freed likes this.
  25. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Thanks for the link. I just grabbed 10 more of these. At this price with free shipping, this is a steal!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.