Best Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andrewi, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What he said! The dead giveaway is that all the tracks have a slightly different character.

I play the Target cd 5-6 times for each one time I play the DVD-A.
    The bonus track in the middle of the album isn't enough to get me
    to play the DVD-A, it's too bright and pinched sounding.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  2. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I have the Classic Albums Rumours special on DVD. IMO it is a must for all big fans of the album. Apparently, there were safeties made of the keeper drum tracks during the original sessions. It was explained that there had been so many overdubs and passes on the multis that the cymbals began to sound dull. So, IIRC correctly, they copied the overdubs over to the safety multitrack copies of the drum tracks.....manually!

Perhaps the multis were missing for awhile, but seeing the VH1 special and the discrete 5.1 mix, I'm assuming they turned up somewhere. I always wondered if they locked up the original overdub reel with the safety drum track reel in an effort to improve the sonics when mixing the 5.1. Anyone know?

Dan

3. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

I'm going to hazard a guess that the Aldsdorf German pressing that is somewhat underwhelming is based on the original WB CD, as there is a glitch on it towards the end of Dreams. Agree/disagree?

4. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

the R/S Alsdorf pressing plant were the main European source for WB product from 1982 or so when WB ceased pressing in the UK. Even before then - many stores were parallel importing when stock couldn't be found elsewhere. I had two copies of Christopher Cross (1979), and the Alsdorf smoked the UK. Many Alsdorf pressings are actually from US stampers (Nightfly is particularly nice...)

It will be from a copy tape. Dropouts happen. The pressings we generally like here are from the original mixdown master and all 'mastered by capitol' (comments on the Bob Ludwig mastering welcomed, especially if anyone has both side 1 and side 2, or even a side 2...).

The rot started with the Nautilus Superdisc (also mastered by capitol but not the same tape)

5. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

6. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

My best sounding LP versions are (Side A/Side B respectively):

UK: F12/F20, F20/F21
    CAN: F13/F11
    US: F3/F15

The Canadian has the "Go Your Own Way" sticker on the shrinkwrap so I think it's from the initial run here.

7. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

What matrix #'s should we look for with the old target CDs?

8. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

There's at least one really good Australian version of the album that was mastered by Ken Perry at Capitol. IIRC, mine's an F34/F34 cut, well worth picking up.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  9. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Bought an Aussie F16/F18 (Mastered By Capitol), yesterday and could not believe how nice it sounds. Clean, bright and punchy, my best vinyl copy thus far!

Rumours, there are plenty of second hand vinyl copies out there and me, I'd rather risk one or two bucks on an LP as opposed to $25+ on a CD version that, according to the general consensus of the forum, has yet to be done properly. Eight copies and counting, only two are keepers!

marcfeld69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.