Best Digital Versions of Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tlake6659, Mar 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Interesting story about BSS. I had both the Rhino and the Victory card release (there was also a regular Victory CD release) and thought that apart from the interview, the CDs sounded the same, so I sold the Victory, as the Rhino cover looks more anatomically correct and the interviews are cool. I also sold the first Castle remaster as I didn't like the altered mixes and different takes.

2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

By the way Sanctuary released a 3 CD Box "At The Movies"

The complete Soundtracks... composed by Keith Emerson. Good sound!!!

3. Are you referring to the Victory/London CD with catalog number 828 464-2 which was pressed in Germany?

I just compared this Victory CD to the Atlantic/Diament mastering, and I would say it is more a matter of personal preference and/or equipment which version is better.

Roland

4. Pioneer

Pioneer New Member

Since the two masterings (and quite possibly the source tapes) are different, then it can ONLY ever be a matter of personal preference which one sounds 'better'.

5. You are right about that.

What I meant to say was, both sound nice and decent, the Atlantic has better highs and better imaging/sound stage, the Victory sounds fuller and maybe a tad warmer, but is missing some of the high range.

None of them has the bad signs of mastering like compression, no-noise or heavy EQ'ing.

Which version you prefer is always a matter of personal preference, but with some issues, when we are discussing on this forum, these opinions can turn into "facts" for the absolute majority of people here (e.g. I consider it a fact that the DCC Aqualung sounds better than the Anniversary remaster, even though there might be people on this planet who prefer the latter).

Roland

6. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

I think the Palmaccio stuff done for Victory is superb.

But as for s/t album, the Atlantic Diament did is tough to beat.

I also like Zal's version of _Tarkus_ for Atlantic! Haven't compared it as yet, and haven't felt much need to compare.

7. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Is this the first Atlantic CD issued in the 80's or the remaster?

8. Jeff Carney

The Atlantics were mastered in the 80s.

9. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I've picked up most of the ELP on CD, but not yet Works V. 2. The 2004 Sanctuary release includes 3 bonus tracks. Is that the one to get?

10. Jeff Carney

I'm sure it's fine and that would use the Victory remastering done by Joseph Palmaccio. I don't know much about ELP releases from after 1974, but I'm sure that's good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.