Beatles the Solo Years Album by Album Thread: Approaching the 2000s and Beyond!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

I like both albums but if I remember right they were fairly brick walled. Is this version brick walled as well?

2. Dr. Pepper

We have never featured a "Fireman," album on this thread, but I think many of us think of this as a McCartney release, and it has near universal aclaim, so...

[​IMG]

Electric Arguments
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Electric Arguments
    Studio album by The Fireman
    Released November 24, 2008
    Recorded 2007-2008
    Genre Ambient electronic, pop, psychedelic rock
    Length 63:05
    Label One Little Indian
    MPL, ATO Records
    Producer Paul McCartney, Youth

Electric Arguments is the third album by The Fireman, an experimental music duo comprising Paul McCartney and producer Youth. The album was first announced September 29, 2008, on Paul McCartney's website, and was released on November 24, 2008 on the duo's website.[1] It is the first Fireman release to be publicly acknowledged by McCartney, and the album cover features both names of the contributors.

Background
    The album, unlike the earlier Fireman albums, features prominent vocals. Each song on the album was recorded in one day, the album itself done in only thirteen days, spread over the course of a year.[1]

It debuted at #79 on the UK Album Charts, marking the first appearance for The Fireman in the British charts. They also made their inaugural appearance on the Billboard 200, reaching #67.

The duo borrowed the title "Electric Arguments" from the poem "Kansas City to St. Louis" by Allen Ginsberg. In Wired magazine, McCartney stated this was because "he's been looking at the beauty of word combinations rather than their meaning."[2]

Track listing
    All tracks written by Paul McCartney.

"Nothing Too Much Just out of Sight" – 4:55
    An edited version premiered on Radio One on 9/29/08.[3]
    "Two Magpies" - 2:12
    "Sing the Changes" - 3:44
    "Travelling Light" - 5:06
    "Highway" - 4:17
    "Light From Your Lighthouse" - 2:31
    "Sun is Shining" - 5:12
    "Dance ’Til We’re High" - 3:37
    "Lifelong Passion" - 4:49
    Was available briefly as a charity download for Adopt-A-Minefield.[4]
    "Is this Love?" - 5:52
    "Lovers in a Dream" - 5:22
    "Universal Here, Everlasting Now" - 5:05
    "Don’t Stop Running" - 10:31
    The song ends at 5:54; a bonus track titled "Road Trip", according to the copyright registrants, begins 7:57
    "Sawain Ambient Acapella" (iTunes Bonus Track) - 4:53
    A remix of "Lifelong Passion", minus drums and bass.

3. Dr. Pepper

What Amazonians are saying
    ------------------------------------------
    MACCA'S Inspiring Masterpiece !, November 25, 2008
    By Brien Comerford (Glenview, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews

Electric Arguments is arguably the most surprising and inspiring CD of the year. Paul McCartney surfaces with a masterpiece of experimental music and great vocals that fuse hard rock, blues, trance, ballads and electronic music. Producer Youth was integral to this CD. MACCA and Beatles fans will love this trippy and psychedelic CD becuase it has vintage tracks similar to great songs off the White Album and Ram. Paul's roaring vocals at age 66 are priceless.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Really wonderful...., November 30, 2008
    By Shimmy Pilates (United States) - See all my reviews

The more I listen to it, the more I like it. It's such a fresh sound from a man who's help define what "sound" is, so I don't know what more we could want. "Highway" rocks harder than any of his recent rockers, "Sun is Shining" just melts beautifully. Melodies just burrow themselves inside your brain and you can't help but hum them throughout the day, even if your initial opinion is unfavorable. I wrote it off thinking, "If it doesn't say Paul McCartney on the cover, it must be his lesser stuff." So wrong. Electric Arguments is one of his best. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews

McCartney - One of the Greatest Musicians Ever makes a Great Album!, November 25, 2008
    By DH Gummy (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews

McCartney gets slagged down by people who are musical hacks. Hell, we are all musical hacks compared to him and only a handful of others. Yet, despite that fact (oh, and it's an absolute fact), people feel compelled to rip this guy a new one on virtually every album he does. While most reviews for this brilliant album were very, very positive, I did read a few mediocre reviews and in those, you can tell the reviewer didn't even listen to the album. Like anything associated with McCartney automatically gets an "F" grade. Let's face it, while he has made some mistakes here and there, the guy takes risks and has made better, more impactful songs, whether pop, political, heavy, classical, jazzy, avant garde, new wave, dance, country and blues than almost anyone else on the planet, whether living or dead. It amazes me how some people can just give this album one star. Yeah, like you or almost anybody else could do any better. One star??!! Come on... what a joke! At WORST, it is a 4 star album... at worst. The varied songs on this album have so many different treats and varied melodies... The songs range the full gamut and create a wonderful landscape. 'Sing the Changes' probably should be the first single. McCartney has had quite a run of late, with Memory Almost Full, Chaos and Creation in the Backyard and now this, we are fortunate to be living during this genius' time on earth.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    WOW!, November 25, 2008
    By Mark A. Cartier "Cartier" (Portland, Or. USA) - See all my reviews

The new Paul McCartney is the biggest musical surprise I've had all year. I was expecting yet another disappointment in a long line of disappointments or mediocre releases and was hoping there would be one or two good songs.

To me, this sounds like Sgt. Pepper mixed with the White Album. Add liberal doses of dance, trance, elecronic and pop and you have a mind pleasing and teasing mix. For my money this is his best musical release since 1975's Venus and Mars or 1973's Band on the Run. It's the sound of creativity not channeled with commercial expectations. It's melodic and fun, odd and enchanting, foot tapping and mind expanding.

I found myself looking at the CD to get the name of almost every song as I listened because the music interested me enough that I wanted to know the name of the individual song. Surprise yourself and pick up this CD. Put it on at a quiet moment and sit back and enjoy the ride.
    ------------------------------------------------

A Masterpiece from 'The Master', November 30, 2008
    By V. Benedetto "VB" (PA USA) - See all my reviews

There is no question this album is one of McCartney's most unique. However, it finds him up to some of his usual tricks: Backwards masking and messages, unusual instruments, clever harmonies, brilliant melodies, wicked bass & guitar work, and all the elements that made his contribution to the Beatles so powerful. Listen to this album with headsets on and marvel at the creativity in the production and all of the unique elements going on in the mix. There are sound effects and wildly bizzare elements going on all over the place. What makes McCartney such a brilliant composer is that he paints his portrait with his music... Melodies flow from him like a waterfall and those who know what it takes to make a good record are left wondering how one man could have accomplished such a large body of work in one lifetime. This is a must have album for all Macca fans...or those looking to hear something different that changes from song to song and sounds like nothing you've ever heard before. Prepare to be shocked...in a very good way.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    NA NA NA NA NA NA NA !, November 26, 2008
    By Vinny - See all my reviews

Right on! I was at first skeptical, not having experienced the previous Fireman exploits. Honestly, only after reading my new Rolling Stone review did i make the jump and purchase Electric Arguments. I am listening to it this very moment and I am so very glad that Sir Paul has done the kind of music that seems to be saying "this is where I'm at, this makes me happy, I hope it makes you happy also".Hey the man has done so much great work in the past,and some not so great.I'm sure he would be the first to admit to both.I'm 48 years old and admittedly think the Beatles are the greatest band of all time. They will never happen again... ever.It absolutely gives me great joy to listen to something that I know won't be played on what passes as mainstream radio today. As a lifelong fan, again I say RIGHT ON!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Paul's Musical Mystery Tour, January 15, 2009
    By mjd natale - See all my reviews

Not sure the casual listener will understand the sigificance of this release. Of all Paul's recordings this is the closest to a Beatle-like later 1/2 of 1960s production...less the big ballad. If Chaos and Creation was "stripped down" Paul and Memory Almost Full "proper" Paul and both very good CDs .. this is Paul "on steroids" and to me is a great recording and his most musical effort since Ram. More melody here than some of his peers have mustered in an entire career. Youth obviously deserves some credit here for creating an environment that inspired McCartney to create music as he would as a 25 to 30 yr old (while others his age have resorted doing duet albums or covers to chart). Clearly McCartney's prolific output has put him in a market over exposure position but make no mistake... this record stands out. For John Lennon fans (which I am) ..this would have been John's favorite Paul Album. Appreciate Paul McCartney while he is still around.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    ELECTRIC! NO ARGUMENTS!!, December 17, 2008
    By JON STRICKLAND "Jon Strickland" (Smithfield, NC United States) - See all my reviews

Who or what could possibly top Paul McCartney? Why only Paul McCartney! This time, it is not as a Wing or a Beatle or as Percy Thrills Thrillington, but as The Fireman, with Electric Arguments as the third release under this alias and, for the same reason, the third collaboration with the producer, Youth.

Electric Arguments is a sonic parallel with George Harrison's Cloud Nine pairing with Jeff Lynne but more techno. Starting out is the loud and proud Nothing Too Much Just Out of Sight, which is reminiscent of You Never Give Me Your Money or So Glad to See You Here. Following up is Two Magpies, which interestingly enough, sounds like a hybrid of Blackbird and Honey Pie.

The third track is the awe-inspiring Sing the Changes, which, to me, is rightfully the highlighted tune of this release. It is a very in-depth, emotional song very much on par with No More Lonely Nights. The rest of the tracks are also great. Among my favorites are the Beatle-esque Highway, the feel-good Sun Is Shining, Lifelong Passion, and the Enigma-like Lovers in a Dream.

Truly, McCartney is unequalled. As The Fireman he, combined with the production talent of Youth, has created a 21st century equivalent of the tape loop, experimental sounds sampled in Revolver and The Beatles (a.k.a. The White Album) some 40+ years prior.

Vocally, McCartney sounds the best he has in quite some time. The singing is very much in sync with the spontaneous, creative energy that emanates throughout. If McCartney can segue this style into his releases as Paul McCartney, I definitely anticipate more great work from this artist, who is well past sixty. Wow!

Outstanding!, November 26, 2008
    By fro493 - See all my reviews

McCartney's experimental work is what distinguishes him most as Artist. Superb piece, highly recommended for anyone who appreciates quality music.
    ---------------------------------------------
    \
    No argument here! , November 25, 2008
    By Elizabeth Armstrong "bunwhisper" (Long Beach CA) - See all my reviews

I love this cd! OK, I confess I am a huge Macca fan. I own everything he has ever done and love his music. Just being honest here in my bias!

I gave it 4 stars because, well, it isnt my *favorite* McCartney album (Back to the Egg) or even Ram... but it is interesting and very well done. Paul needs his own separate rating system, because nothing he does is less than everyone else's 4 stars. He has so many classics it is impossible to compare them all. So I won't, and that is tedious anyway. Everyone compares everything he does to Band on the Run... whatever. That was 30 years ago. He has moved on.

So back to Electric Arguments. The catchiest, most obvious "hit" is "Sing the Changes". This song is chock full o' melody. Despite its electronic influence, you would pick it out as Paul's anywhere. "Highway" is a bouncy little rocker. I also love "Dance Til We're High", a jangly, soaring ballad. The "Sun is Shining" will burrow itself into your brain and stay there. "Lovers in a Dream" is very cool--a dance/trance beat that let my mind unwind into it. "Travelling Light" is delicate and surprising.

I have the first two "Firemen" cds. and this one is much more of a complete musical experience. Those were more typical trance/dance experiments. This album will keep revealing interesting musical textures every time you listen. BTW, I also like other things Youth has done (especially The Verve's "Urban Hymns").

Much to like on this cd. Go Paul!

4. Easily Macca's best solo work since "McCartney II" and "Tug Of War"! It was a pleasure listening to THIS album!:righton:

JimC likes this.
  5. louisville

louisville Peel Slowly and See

Electric Arguments is a GREAT album, one of the best McCartney has done, and probably the first I have raved about in my record-buying lifetime.

I cannot offer enough praise for this release. Highly recommended.

JimC likes this.
  6. Dr. Pepper

[​IMG]

Liverpool 8 is the 14th studio album by Ringo Starr. It was released worldwide on January 14, 2008 (January 15, 2008 in the United States) and marks Starr's return to EMI for the first time since leaving the label in 1975, following the end of The Beatles' recording contract with the company.[1] Although technically Starr did make a brief re-appearance on EMI in the mid-1990s, as when his 1981 album Stop and Smell the Roses and his 1983 album Old Wave (both originally released on Boardwalk Records) were issued on CD, they appeared on Capitol's The Right Stuff label. Liverpool 8 was released by EMI Music worldwide, Capitol Records in the United States, and Parlophone in the United Kingdom.

History

The album was originally slated for a June 2007 release, and began as another production by the collaborative team of Mark Hudson and Starr (the two had previously co-produced Vertical Man, I Wanna Be Santa Claus, VH1 Storytellers, Ringo Rama, and Choose Love). However, the release date was pushed back to the beginning of 2008 when Hudson was replaced by Dave Stewart after a falling out with Starr. The album's production credits read, "Produced by Ringo Starr and Mark Hudson; Re-Produced by Ringo Starr and David Stewart." All of the songs but one were written with the Roundheads, although Stewart also has several co-writing credits. Starr's attorney Bruce Grakal told journalist Peter Palmiere that the partnership between Hudson and Starr was over and they would never work together again. This happened after Hudson dropped out of Starr's 2006 tour as musical director to do the TV show The One: Making A Music Star. According to Palmiere, Hudson now claims that the split was over Starr's insistence on using synthesized sounds, for which Stewart is known, whereas Hudson wanted real guitars, pianos, strings etc.[1] However, about the parting with Hudson, Starr said (in response to Palmiere's report), "The separation between Mark Hudson and myself was a question of trust and friendship and had nothing to do with synthesizers."

The album was released on CD, MP3, and USB Wristband. It was available as a free audio stream at www.vh1classic.com before its release date. "Liverpool 8" was released on CD and digital download as the first single from the album on January 7, 2008. Liverpool 8 entered the UK Album Chart at #91, and reached a peak of #94 on the Billboard 200.

A few weeks later after the album release readers of the New York Daily News were offered a non-album track [2]. This song is titled It's Love and is a beautiful piece. Unfortunately it was never released on any physical release, but became available as a 1-track download [3].

Response

The album has a 59 percent "mixed or average" rating from Metacritic.[2] Billboard gave a positive review, calling it "full of nostalgia for the good ol' days".[3] Allmusic stated that "it's nothing too flashy and it has not one tune that calls attention to itself".[4] The Times gave a particularly critical review, stating that "it’s hard not to boggle at Liverpool’s susceptibility to flattery" and "Just because it was fun to make, it doesn’t follow that you might enjoy listening to it."[5]

Track listing

All songs by Richard Starkey/Mark Hudson/Gary Burr/Steve Dudas, except where noted.

1. "Liverpool 8" (Richard Starkey/Dave Stewart) - 4:49
    2. "Think About You" - 3:40
    3. "For Love" (Richard Starkey/Mark Hudson) - 3:49
    4. "Now That She's Gone Away" (Richard Starkey/Mark Hudson/Gary Burr) - 3:02
    5. "Gone Are the Days" (Richard Starkey/Mark Hudson/Dave Stewart) - 2:49
    6. "Give It a Try" (Richard Starkey/Mark Hudson/Steve Dudas) - 3:26
    7. "Tuff Love" - 4:33
    8. "Harry's Song" - 4:00
    9. "Pasodobles" (Richard Starkey/Mark Hudson/Gary Burr/Steve Dudas/Dean Grakal) - 4:17
    10. "If It's Love That You Want" - 3:06
    11. "Love Is" - 3:52
    12. "R U Ready?" - 3:59

Personnel

* Ringo Starr – Lead Vocals, Drums, Percussion, Organ, Background Vocals
    * Keith Allison – Background Vocals
    * Gary Burr – Electric and Acoustic Guitars, Keyboards, Mandolin, Background Vocals
    * Brent Carpenter – Background Vocals
    * Jesse Davey – Electric Guitar
    * Steve Dudas – Electric and Acoustic Guitars, Background Vocals
    * Mark Hudson – Electric, Acoustic and Bass Guitars, Keyboards, Harmonica, Bongos, Background Vocals
    * Sean Hurley – Bass Guitar
    * Suzie Katayama – Orchestra Arrangement, Conduction
    * Zac Rae – Keyboards
    * David A. Stewart – Electric, Acoustic and Slide Guitars, Orchestra Arrangement
    * Bruce Sugar – Background Vocals
    * Dave Way – Bass Guitar

Production

* Producer: Ringo Starr & Mark Hudson except Liverpool 8 produced by Ringo Starr & Davis A. Stewart & Mark Hudson
    * Engineer: Bruce Sugar
    * Additional Engineer: Steve Dudas, Gary Burr, Ned Douglas
    * Recorded at: Roccabella, UK and Whatinthewhatatthe, LA
    * Mixing: Bill Malina
    * Mastering: Ted Jensen (Sterling Sound, NY)
    * Art Director: Tom Recchion
    * Design: Paul Moore
    * Photography: Brian Griffin (Apple Corps Ltd.)

What Amazoners are saying:

57 of 65 people found the following review helpful:
    3.0 out of 5 stars Standard-issue Ringo for the most part, January 23, 2008
    By TheBandit (SEA-TAC)
    (VINE VOICE)
    This review is from: Liverpool 8 (Audio CD)
    Don't get me wrong - I love Ringo and have all his albums. It has been great having a new album from him every few years, and they are consistently enjoyable.

But the Mark Hudson formula has really run it's course with this one. Judging by the production credits, this was essentially a Mark Hudson production like each of Ringo's previous album going back to "Vertical Man" a decade ago. Dave Stewart was brought in at a late enough stage that he is credited as "re-producing" the album, while Mark Hudson is still credited as producer of all but one track. Interestingly, I'd say that one specific track - the title song - is easily the best on the album. A Starkey/Stewart collaboration, the song "Liverpool 8" is noticably fresher sounding - lacking the rather tired cliches of Hudson's arrangements.

The thing about Mark Hudson, it seems he ran out of production/arranging/writing ideas for Ringo after "Ringo Rama." I consider him sort of a poor man's Jeff Lynne. In a way, he has served the same function for Ringo that Lynne served for George Harrison. Of course, it should go without saying that Harrison was in an entirely different artistic sphere than Ringo. Jeff Lynne helped shape a new, updated sound for George - who remained in control of his overall vision. Ringo, on the other hand, needs far more creative input from his producer - something Mark Hudson provided, and then some. Hudson is kind of a hack, really, despite numerous highlights throughout "Vertical Man," "Ringo Rama," "Choose Love," and now "Liverpool 8," the songs are generally formulaic variations on one another. There is a sameness to the arrangements - the often too-forced 'Beatlesque' backing vocals in particular - as well as the lyrical themes. I don't think any of the Hudson-produced albums match Ringo's "Time Takes Time," the 1992 album that provided the template for Hudson to base his work upon. Speaking of Jeff Lynne, he was one of several producers that worked on that earlier album.

I was intriqued by the promise posed by a new chief collaborator for Ringo. But as I mentioned earlier, I think most listeners will be hard-pressed to detect any significant differences from the earlier albums. An obvious difference is the absence of the big-name cameo appearances peppered throughout the last few albums. The title track is classic Ringo - the hook is strong, and the lyrics actually sound like Ringo wrote them. They are simple but effective. The Starkey credit is usually listed first throughout the Hudson-era albums, but generally followed by 2-4 additional names. I find it hard to believe anything in Ringo's career suggests he is capable of churning out dozens of clever (though ultimately vapid) songs. He just doesn't have the tools - which is fine. On the song "Liverpool 8," Ringo makes the most of simple four-note phrases as he looks back fondly on his storied past. It's unsophisticated and unpretentious - and it's the one track from this album that would've been great on his recent 'Best Of' release.

As usual, most of the rest here is mid-tempo pop/rock - but the energy and surprises are farther and fewer between. There are a couple of mildly interesting genre exercises; I enjoy the Harry Nilsson tribute ("Harry's Song") and the Latin lounge ballad "Pasodobles" (as overlong as it is). "Gone Are the Days" is an odd, dated-sounding attempt at a modern rocker. "R U Ready," the album closer, would've been better without the strange vocal effects that make Ringo's voice sound like it's coming through a telephone receiver. Actually, something tells me Hudson wouldn't have done it this way - and in this instance I wish he HAD been around to prevent that unfortunate production choice. The song is an otherwise nice country-stomper that contemplates death - one of the only tracks on the album that goes a bit beyond skin-deep lyrics. No song on the album is particularly embarrassing - most of it chugs along at a nice, relaxed rocking pace. But I feel like I've heard it all (or at least most) before.

I'm always glad to have a new Ringo Starr album and I hope that he has more to come. I will have to reserve judgement on Dave Stewart's contribution until he has a chance to work with Ringo from the ground up (should they continue working together).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11 of 11 people found the following review helpful:
    5.0 out of 5 stars Ringo love notes, March 3, 2008
    By Hollis Dana "Peace activist" (Kauai, Hawaii)

Ringo's love message is so welcome! His easy listening style and good 'ol, heart felt lirics make this a real keeper. Some tunes on the CD are not my favorite but many are winners. "You've got to love every breath you breathe, look at the sky and believe, smile a little more as life goes by, with love in your eye, just give it a try." That's worth the whole CD right there! Many sing alongs that are easy to learn. Have fun with this one.
    Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

11 of 11 people found the following review helpful:
    5.0 out of 5 stars Ringo just keeps getting better with age!, February 16, 2008
    By Richard L. Nordmann (Killingworth, CT United States)
    Like a good wine, Ringo just seems to keep getting better with age. His last few efforts going back to 1998's Vertical Man saw a creative rebirth of his talent. He then followed that up with Ringo Rama (and his beautiful tribute to George Harrison, "Never Without You"). His personality, charm and sly humor really came through on that CD, not to mention some flat out rocking tunes. Not to be outdone, in 2005 he released 'Choose Love' which was more or less in the same vein as Ringo Rama, choosing and writing some excellent material that could have been RR-part 2. Now comes Liverpool 8, where he expands on the formula that was present on his two previous efforts. Nostalgic, irreverent, fun and the continual propulsion of the back beat that we've know for 45 years, pardon the pun, hasn't missed a beat. Both he and George were overshadowed in that other band they played in, and if either he or George were in another band, they easily would have been leaders. Liverpool 8 doesn't travel far from the 60's inspired peace and love themes, but like McCartney asked in 'Silly Love Songs', "What's wrong with that"? It's a testament to the man's (often underrated) talent that he can produce fresh, vibrant and creative music, and the age of 67! Do yourself a favor and get this CD, sit back, enjoy and just have fun. There are no deep life-altering lyrics (OK, Ringo I really love ya, but deep lyrics haven't always been your strong suit--sorry) but just listen to one of the great masters doing what he does best, and it sounds like he's having a great time doing it. Keep them coming Ringo, we love ya!

7. Dr. Pepper

[​IMG]

Y Not is the 15th studio album by Ringo Starr, released on January 12, 2010 on Universal.[2] The first single from the album, "Walk With You", released 22 December 2009, features shared vocals with fellow former Beatle Paul McCartney.[1] In addition to McCartney, the album also includes collaborations with Joe Walsh, Joss Stone, Van Dyke Parks, Ben Harper and Richard Marx.[1] It was the first album of his career which Starr primarily produced (he had previously co-produced several albums).[3]

The album debuted at No. 58 on the Billboard Top 200 chart, with 7,965 copies sold in the US during the first week of release. This is the highest Ringo Starr US album chart peak since 1976. As of February 2010, the album has sold over 30,000 copies worldwide.

Track listing
    No. Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Fill in the Blanks" (featuring Joe Walsh[1]) Richard Starkey, Joe Walsh 3:14
    2. "Peace Dream" (featuring Paul McCartney on bass) Starkey, Gary Wright, Gary Nicholson 3:34
    3. "The Other Side of Liverpool" Starkey, Dave Stewart 3:23
    4. "Walk With You" (lead single, a duet with McCartney) Starkey, Van Dyke Parks 4:42
    5. "Time" Starkey, Dave Stewart 3:49
    6. "Everyone Wins" (a re-recording of a song originally released in 1992 as a B-side) Starkey, Johnny Warman 3:54
    7. "Mystery of the Night" Starkey, Richard Marx 4:05
    8. "Can't Do It Wrong" Starkey, Gary Burr 3:45
    9. "Y Not" Starkey, Glen Ballard 3:49
    10. "Who's Your Daddy" (featuring Joss Stone) Starkey, Joss Stone[4] 2:29
    Total length:
    36:49

* Week 1 - #58
    * Week 2 - #136

Personnel

* Ringo Starr – Lead Vocals, Drums, Keyboards, Piano, Backing vocals, Percussion
    * Steve Dudas – Guitar
    * Benmont Tench – Organ, Piano
    * Michael Bradford – Bass guitar
    * Bruce Sugar – Engineer, Co-producer, Keyboards
    * Keith Allison – Guitar, Backing vocals

Guest musicians

* Don Was – Bass guitar ("Who's Your Daddy"), Upright bass ("Can't Do it Wrong")
    * Joe Walsh – Guitar ("Fill in the Blanks", "Peace Dream" and "Everyone Wins"), Bass guitar, Backing vocals ("Fill in the Blanks")
    * Dave Stewart – Guitar ("The Other Side of Liverpool" and "Time")
    * Paul McCartney – Bass guitar ("Peace Dream"), Additional vocals ("Walk With You")
    * Billy Squier – Guitar ("The Other Side of Liverpool", "Can't Do it Wrong")
    * Edgar Winter – Horns ("Can't Do it Wrong"), Tenor and alto sax ("Who's Your Daddy"), Backing vocals ("Peace Dream", "Everyone Wins")
    * Joss Stone – Lead vocals ("Who's Your Daddy")
    * Ben Harper – Backing vocals ("Peace Dream")
    * Richard Marx – Backing vocals ("Mystery of the Night")
    * Ann Marie Calhoun – Violin ("The Other Side of Liverpool", "Walk With You" and "Time")
    * Tina Sugandh – Tabla and chanting ("Peace Dream", "Y Not")
    * Cindy Gomez – Backing vocals ("The Other Side of Liverpool" and "Time")

What Amazon folks are saying:

5.0 out of 5 stars Ringo rock's 80's style., January 12, 2010
    By Landrew
    This review is from: Y Not (Audio CD)
    Ringo Starr's new album "Y Not" is probably the most coherant album he has recorded since 1992's "Time Takes Time". This is simple rock and roll at it's best. Ringo's last few albums have been pop oriented but this one has more grit thanks to Joe Walsh's excellent guitar riffs. The first track "Fill In The Blanks" is the best track he has recorded in years. I'm a hardcore Ringo fan and I haven't been this excited about an Ex-Beatles album since the early 80's. Really. Ringo's vocals on tracks like "Mystery Of The Night" and "The Other Side Of Liverpool" actually soar. The entire album feels like it jumped out of 1988 and that's just fine because the sound is really awesome. "Peace Dream" with Paul McCartney is produced so well that you will not be able to get enough of it - not in an annoying way. Kind of like eating really good french fries and wanting more. Ringo has churned out some excellent music in the past ten odd years and this one tops them all. No kidding. I can be a harsh critic, even for my favourite Beatle. So run to your local record store and say "Gimme that record called Y NOT!"
    -----------------------------------------------------------

5.0 out of 5 stars irrepressibly good--Ringo can't do it wrong, January 12, 2010
    By Matthew G. Sherwin (last seen screaming at Amazon customer service)
    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
    Ringo Starr's brand new release rocks! Ringo is in excellent form here; and his peers all contribute splendidly to the creation of a very well done album that will stand the test of time. The numbers are memorable with sophisticated musical arrangements and Ringo never sounded better, either! His skill as a songwriter remains superb as well. The quality of the sound on this album is excellent and I like that artwork.

The songs here are all so good that there's really not a single dud in the bunch; Ringo and his buddies have really impressed me! "Fill in the Blanks" has a great beat; and Ringo's excellent diction enhances his performance all the more. "Fill in the Blanks" has a catchy fell to it; once I heard it I kept playing it over and over again; the music fits perfectly with Ringo's vocals and it's all brilliantly done. Joe Walsh also does background vocals, guitar and even bass on "Fill in the Blanks!" "Peace Dream" has some mighty awesome guitar work that combines with percussion, drums and more to make "Peace Dream" shine! Of course, Paul McCartney on bass made this even more special--not that Ringo really needs help making good music; but it all works wonders anyway.

"The Other Side of Liverpool" has a fine rocking beat; Ringo sings this with panache and the key modulations sound great just as the different tempos add to the quality of this tune! "Walk with You" has Ringo front and center, too--which is quite all right by me! "Walk with You" gets a sensitive treatment from Ringo, Paul McCartney and the rest; I really like the way they turned out this song. "Time" also has a terrific sound that features Ringo singing squarely front and center--and that piano arrangement makes the music really wonderful.

"Everyone Wins" has a strong beat while Ringo sings this with heart and soul; this is a fine number and Ringo never lets go of a single superfluous note! "Mystery of the Night" is another rocking tune with a sensitive arrangement at the same time; I marvel at how well Ringo and the others make this music sound so good! "Can't Do It Wrong" has one of the best arrangements on the entire album; this is another major highlight. "Can't Do It Wrong" leaves nothing to be desired--this music is all THAT good! Listen also for Don Was playing upright bass on "Can't Do It Wrong."

"Y Not" is yet another magnificent number that showcases Ringo's superb talent; and the CD ends very well with Ringo, Joss Stone and their peers performing "Who's Your Daddy." "Who's Your Daddy" has so much energy that it can't be easily forgotten--and it also leaves me wanting more.

Ringo Starr possesses a genius that I rarely hear or enjoy; and albums like this one clearly prove he's still performing at the top of his game. Ringo should be touring this year; catch him in concert if you can! I highly recommend this for Ringo's fans; fans of the other artists on this album just might want to get this, too.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing Change for Ringo, January 12, 2010
    By David Cooper (Vancouver, Canada)
    To be honest, I didn't like Ringo's last 2 albums. He just seemed to be repeating the same tired formula over and over. On this album, he goes in a new direction and thankfully has stopped using the same tired formula of writing bridges on every song and using bad Beatle like backing vocals. Is this album great? No, but for the most part it is an enjoyable album with just a few clunkers.

Here is my analysis of the songs:

1) Fill in the Blanks - 6/10 - I didn't care for much for the opening song, which is a basic average rock song and quite forgetable.

2) Peace Dream - 7.5/10 - This is a much better song than the opener. It may grow on me more, but from one listen I can tell you it is positive, uplifting, sung well and the backing singers are a nice touch and not overdone. The chorus is just not as catchy as great peace songs like Imagine & Give Peace a Chance and the song is a bit repetitive. Mentioning John in the song is a nice tribute to him by Ringo.

3) Other Side Of Liverpool - 8/10 - This song is darker and grittier than anything I have heard from Ringo before and it is a refreshing change. And thankfully he resists his formula writing style and doesn't write a bridge, for the song doesn't need one. The backing singer is good.

4) Walk With You - 8.5/10 - Best song on the cd. The intro is simply gorgeous and Paul's vocals make it simply magic.

5) Time - 6.5/10 - Good guitar work, but the song is pretty average at best.

6) Everyone Wins - 7/10 The guitar work is very good and the song isn't bad, but I don't like the use of the hip hop beat in the beginning and throughout. Thankfully he employs this sound just once on this album.

7) Mystery of the Night - 8/10 - This is a very good song. It has a very catchy chorus and good lyrics. It is one of the highlights of the cd.

8) Can't Do Wrong - 5/10 - One of the weakest songs on the cd. This song just isn't very good and dressing it up with horns and guitar solos doesn't make it make better.

9) Y Not - 4/10 - This song is bad. Not interesting musically or lyrically and rates up there with some of his worst songs. The additional of the Indian music to me sounds out of place and just throw in for effect and really doesn't flow with the song in my view. Too bad he kept it, for he can do much better. Rather he kept the album title and dropped the song like Roger McGuinn did with Back to Rio.

10 Who's Your Daddy - 8/10 - To be honest I have never heard of Joss Stone before and didn't even know Joss was a woman. Someone said this song doesn't fit with the rest of the songs, but I strongly disagree. This song is very good because of Joss Stone. The woman can really sing and Ringo made a wise decision letting her losse. She does most of the vocals on it. The horns on it are a nice touch too.

I rate this 4 stars for despite 3 or 4 weak songs, most of it is enjoyable to hear and a much better effort than the sub par Liverpool 8.

8. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

The current issue of Mojo seems to imply that Maybe I'm Amazed was written sometime in the autumn/winter of 1969, when Paul was closeted on his Scottish farm. That sort of timeline would make sense.

9. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I think Y Not is Ringo's weakest since Bad Boy. I admire the fact he wanted to produce & write all the songs, but it is just not his forte. He should record his best 3 originals & then have other people contribute songs ala Ringo, Goodnight Vienna& Time Takes Time.

I find most of the songs on Y Not really light weight & corny, however well intentioned. "Walk With You" w/McCartney is great, but sounds like nothing else on the album. "Fill In The Blanks" is a decent rocker featuring Joe Walsh, but there is nothing else I would really recommend.

I'm not sure how much music Ringo will give us over over the next few years now that he is 70, but I would love to hear a rockabilly album in the "Honey Don't" vein....as long as he doesn't write & produce all the tunes. ;)

10. Dr. Pepper

Great idea! I would be all over that! Ringo is the most prolific Beatle right now, which is impressive considering Paul was on quite a roll himself in the past decade, or at least last half of it!

11. Dr. Pepper

When did we think it was recorded before?

12. Let me start off with the good stuff. I Love "Liverpool 8"- as strong an effort as I've heard from Ringo since his comeback took off with "Time Takes Time" in '92...and for all attempts to appear otherwise...this is the last of the Mark Hudson Collective era with The Roundheads...too bad. I can honestly say that while there are tracks I like less than others- there isn't a track that I don't like to some degree, and I few that I love.
    Now "Y Not" his worst album since...you pick it, I'd go back past "Old Wave" & "Stop & Smell The Roses" to "Bad Boy", but it's all hair splitting...no it's not as bad as "Bad Boy", but if it's as good as those other two, who really cares because we are back to grasping at straws for the few good tunes on an otherwise also ran, at best, album. What I dug- "Walk With You"- great single, great song..."Everybody Wins"- good, but a recycled old song really...and then we start stretching..."Mystery Of The Night" with Walsh, or the eastern parts of the otherwise pedestrian title track? Great run there for awhile...now I honestly don't expect much from here on out...but it was great & surprising while it lasted (5 albums worth, and 16 years without anything less than fine work- from '92-'08- pretty darn impressive)...got to see him live one last time too, and dug that as well...

13. Dr. Pepper

[​IMG]

Ringo 2012 is the 17th studio album by Ringo Starr, released on 31 January 2012 in the United States and 30 January 2012 elsewhere. It was released on CD, LP and digitally by Hip-O Records / UMe. The title is a reference Ringo's most successful solo album Ringo, which was released in 1973.

Track listing
    1. "Anthem" Richard Starkey, Glen Ballard 5:01
    2. "Wings" (lead single, a re-recording of a song originally released on Ringo the 4th in 1977) Starkey, Vini Poncia 3:31
    3. "Think It Over" (cover of Buddy Holly song) Buddy Holly, Norman Petty 1:48
    4. "Samba" Starkey, Van Dyke Parks 2:48
    5. "Rock Island Line" (cover) (Arrangement by Starkey) 2:59
    6. "Step Lightly" (a re-recording of a song originally released on Ringo in 1973) Starkey 2:44
    7. "Wonderful" Starkey, Gary Nicholson 3:47
    8. "In Liverpool" Starkey, Dave Stewart 3:19
    9. "Slow Down" Starkey, Joe Walsh 2:57
    Total length:
    28:55
    Amazon.com Exclusive DVD Version
    Weeks on Billboard Album Chart

Week 1 - #80
    Week 2 - #192

Personnel

Ringo Starr - Drums, Percussion, Vocals, Keyboards, Guitar, Backing Vocals
    Joe Walsh - Guitar
    Benmont Tench - Organ
    Dave Stewart - Guitar, Keyboards
    Van Dyke Parks - Keyboards, Accordion
    Amy Keys - Backing Vocals
    Kelly Moneymaker - Backing Vocals
    Don Was - Bass
    Edgar Winter - Organ, Sax
    Ann Marie Calhoun - Violin
    Kenny Wayne Shepherd - Guitar
    Bruce Sugar - Piano, Horn Arrangement
    Steve Dudas - Guitar
    Matt Cartsonis - Mandolin
    Charlie Haden - Bass
    Richard Page - Bass, Backing Vocals
    Michael Bradford - Bass

Reception

The album debuted at #80 in the US, selling 6,348 copies, and at #181 in the UK, selling 752 copies.

14. Dr. Pepper

[​IMG]

Kisses on the Bottom is the sixteenth studio album by Paul McCartney, his first since 2007's Memory Almost Full. It was released on Hear Music on 7 February 2012 on LP and CD format.

History

The album's title comes from the lead track "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter", originally a hit for Fats Waller in 1935.[1] Said McCartney in the liner notes, "I worked with Diana Krall, and great jazz musicians like John Clayton. This is an album very tender, very intimate. This is an album you listen to at home after work, with a glass of wine or a cup of tea."[22] The disc was helmed by jazz producer Tommy LiPuma who has previously worked with Miles Davis and Barbra Streisand, among others.[23][24]

McCartney said, "For years I've been wanting to do some of the old songs that my parents' generation used to sing at New Year...But we tried to work out a slightly different approach, and used a selection of songs that wouldn't be the obvious ones...that everyone tends to cover." McCartney also said working with LiPuma reminded him of his Beatles days with former producer, George Martin, in that both were knowledgeable and influential veterans in the music industry.

"My Valentine", composed by McCartney, the first song released from the album, features Eric Clapton on guitar. Stevie Wonder plays harmonica on "Only Our Hearts".[25][26] McCartney plays acoustic guitar on "Get Yourself Another Fool" and "The Inch Worm", but otherwise contributes only vocals.[27]

Track listing
    1. "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter" Fred E. Ahlert, Joe Young 2:36
    2. "Home (When Shadows Fall)" Peter van Steeden, Jeff Clarkson, Harry Clarkson 4:04
    3. "It's Only a Paper Moon" Harold Arlen, E. Y. Harburg, Billy Rose 2:35
    4. "More I Cannot Wish You" Frank Loesser 3:04
    5. "The Glory of Love" Billy Hill 3:46
    6. "We Three (My Echo, My Shadow and Me)" Sammy Mysels, Dick Robertson, Nelson Cogane 3:22
    7. "Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive" Arlen, Johnny Mercer 2:32
    8. "My Valentine" Paul McCartney 3:14
    9. "Always" Irving Berlin 3:50
    10. "My Very Good Friend the Milkman" Harold Spina, Johnny Burke 3:04
    11. "Bye Bye Blackbird" Ray Henderson, Mort Dixon 4:26
    12. "Get Yourself Another Fool" Haywood Henry, Monroe Tucker 4:42
    13. "The Inch Worm" Loesser 3:43
    14. "Only Our Hearts" McCartney 4:21
    Deluxe edition

The deluxe version of the album includes two additional tracks (including "Baby's Request", a cover of a Wings song from the Back to the Egg album), a download code for access to an exclusive live show available from McCartney's website a week after the album's release, and longer liner notes and expanded album packaging, including three postcards.[1] The US deluxe edition of the CD comes in two versions: one with fourteen tracks, and the other with sixteen and available exclusively through Target stores.
    15. "Baby's Request" McCartney 3:30
    16. "My One and Only Love" Guy Wood, Robert Mellin 3:50

Live From Capitol Studios

1. "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter" Fred E. Ahlert, Joe Young 2:42
    2. "Home (When Shadows Fall)" Peter van Steeden, Jeff Clarkson, Harry Clarkson 4:45
    3. "Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive" Arlen, Johnny Mercer 2:51
    4. "My Valentine" Paul McCartney 3:22
    Reception

In a review of the album for BBC Music, writer Patrick Humphries referred to the collection as "an album of neglected dishes from the great banquet of American popular music", before concluding that "what McCartney accomplishes here, in the best possible sense, is an album ideally made for Easy Listening".[6]

Neil McCormick, reviewing the album for The Daily Telegraph, noted that of McCartney's two original compositions on the album it is "impossible to pick them out as contemporary songs amongst the standards" and that whilst "Only Our Hearts" is "unremarkable", the album's other original, "My Valentine", "has the ring of a classic".[9]

Release and promotion

A stream free live performance was hosted by iTunes on 9 February 2012. McCartney performed live from Capitol Studios in Los Angeles, where much of the album was recorded. People tuned into the show by accessing iTunes on their PCs or Macintosh computers.[28] McCartney performed "My Valentine" live at the 2012 Grammy Awards with Diana Krall and Joe Walsh. The single climbed to #20 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary Chart after its debut at #28. "My Valentine" reached #23 on the Japan Hot 100, #1 on the Billboard Jazz Digital Songs chart, and #23 on the Billboard Rock Digital Songs chart.[29] "Only Our Hearts", which features Stevie Wonder on harmonica, debuted at #84 on the Japan Hot 100.

Kisses on the Bottom has debuted at #3 on the UK album chart and #5 on the US Billboard Top 200 Album Chart, 48 years to the month after the album Meet The Beatles! cracked the US Top Ten in February 1964. It also debuted at #17 on the Billboard Jazz Album Chart in the US. In its second week on said chart, it jumped seventeen places to #1. The album also hit #2 on the Billboard Tastemaker Albums Chart, just behind Van Halen's A Different Kind of Truth and ahead of Adele's 21, the album also debuted at #5 on Billboard's Digital Album Chart. Kisses on the Bottom was McCartney's eighteenth Top Ten charting album in the US as a solo artist, giving him a Top Ten album in five consecutive decades as a solo artist, and six consecutive decades including his tenure with The Beatles.[30]

Chart performance
    Chart (2012) Peak position
    Australian Albums Chart[31] 15
    Belgian Albums Chart (Flanders)[32] 8
    Belgian Albums Chart (Wallonia)[33] 6
    Denmark Albums Top 40[34] 3
    Dutch Mega Album Top 100[35] 5
    Finnish Albums Chart[36] 18
    France Albums Top 200[37] 4
    German Albums Chart 9
    Canadian Albums Chart 4
    Hungarian Albums Chart[38] 34
    Italian Albums Chart[39] 15
    Norwegian VG-lista Albums Chart[40] 7
    Swedish Albums Chart[41] 8
    UK Albums Chart 3
    US Billboard 200 5

15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

752 copies? Can that be serious? I'm amazed that less than 1000 people in Ringo's home country are interested in his new album!

16. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

752!
    It's scary and confronting seeing that.
    Still made 181:laugh:

17. Calico

Calico Senior Member

753!
    Because I just belatedly ordered my copy from Amazon.
    And since I actually also bought the vinyl, we'll say 754!

18. somnar

somnar Senior Member

I love that you're into this album and have written about it so much. Been fun to read the posts since my rediscovery of the record over the last week or so.

That said - and I mean this with good humor attached - "Vanity Fair" = weakest song on the album? That's ridiculous! That song was my point of entry for CaC, without it I'm not sure I would've given it a second spin. Great melody, very compelling (and non-graceful, in terms of word sounds) lyric matched with brilliant production.

Still can't listen to "English Tea", but maybe that's just me.

Dan

19. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Well, what can I say? :winkgrin: I suppose my biggest problem with "Vanity Fair" is that it sounds like it's from a different album. Most of the rest of the tracks have an organic, earthy feel to them, and "Vanity Fair" is very smooth and synth-y. I certainly don't hate it, but it's one of my least favorites on the album. "English Tea," on the other hand, is a hoot -- it's a very winking almost-parody of the thumbs-aloft/"Honey Pie" Macca image, and I just love it. Plus, I always appreciate a song that can teach me a new word -- peradventure you might agree with me? :agree:

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  20. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Funny. Again, I think this is a great example of how two people can really like the same record, but for very different reasons (as indicated by my love of Vanity Fair and yours of English Tea - the former you'd excise and the latter I would). Maybe perversely, I'd say this is even further proof of what terrific record this is, how it's loved by one listener for one set of reasons and another for another.

Again, cheers to you. Glad you dig it as much as I do (and very happy that neither of us has the power to change it!).

Dan

21. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Indeed, and I think it's what makes Paul McCartney such an intriguing artist -- the fact that ALL periods of his career have ardent fans and vocal detractors. Other than a very few universally-agreed-upon albums (Band On The Run, maybe Ram and Tug Of War), every album can be passionately defended as a classic or just as passionately declared a piece of garbage -- and both sides can make a compelling argument. It sure makes being a Macca fan interesting.

somnar likes this.
  22. Dr. Pepper

I too love English Tea, but also find Riding To Vanity Fair an intriguing song. There is not a track that I would lose or change on Chaos, and it is the only McCartney album that I can say that about.

23. Dr. Pepper

Now there are two, including Paul's 2013 album "New".

UncleHalsey likes this.
  24. Dr. Pepper

Not a new album exactly, but this repackaging with bonus tracks and the inclusion of Paul's complete Live Kisses from Capital Studios concert with between songs banter intact warrants a new listing. This is an awesome version of this wonderful album.

[​IMG]
    'KISSES ON THE BOTTOM – COMPLETE KISSES'

Paul has announced a very special Christmas treat for fans with the release of an exclusive iTunes album 'Kisses On The Bottom – Complete Kisses' on November 26th in the UK / internationally and November 27th in the US.

'Kisses On The Bottom – Complete Kisses' will feature the hugely acclaimed album 'Kisses On The Bottom' alongside the entire 13 tracks from 'Live From Capitol Studios' concert performance, and four bonus tracks including a special festive recording of 'The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)', which Paul recorded at Avatar Studios in New York in September. The album will also feature a previously unreleased version of 'My Valentine' arranged by Johnny Mandel alongside the tracks 'Baby's Request' and 'My One And Only Love'.

'Kisses On The Bottom' was previously released in February this year to global critical acclaim and chart success. Recorded with the aid of Grammy−winning producer Tommy LiPuma and Diana Krall and her band, it is a collection of standards plus two brand new McCartney songs 'My Valentine' and 'Only Our Hearts' which feature guest appearances from Eric Clapton and Stevie Wonder respectively. The album topped the Billboard Jazz Charts upon its release and has remained in the chart for 40 weeks. It also reached the Top 5 of the UK Albums Chart, Paul's highest UK chart position in 15 years, and charted Top 5 all around the world.

Paul celebrated the album's release with 'Live From Capitol Studios', a very special and intimate concert at the legendary studios in February which was the first and only time that multiple tracks from 'Kisses On The Bottom' have been performed live. The stunning and unique show saw Paul reunited with the cast of all–star musicians who had joined him on the record as he performed behind the microphone without either his famous Höfner bass or any other instruments to hand. This magical once–in–a–lifetime performance will now be included on the forthcoming iTunes release 'Kisses On The Bottom – Complete Kisses'.

TRACKLISTING:

'Kisses On The Bottom':

01. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter 02:36
    02. Home (When Shadows Fall) 04:04
    03. It's Only A Paper Moon 02:35
    04. More I Cannot Wish You 03:04
    05. The Glory Of Love 03:46
    06. We Three (My Echo, My Shadow And Me) 03:22
    07. Ac–Cent–Tchu–Ate The Positive 02:32
    08. My Valentine 03:14
    09. Always 03:49
    10. My Very Good Friend The Milkman 03:04
    11. Bye Bye Blackbird 04:26
    12. Get Yourself Another Fool 04:42
    13. The Inch Worm 03:43
    14. Only Our Hearts 04:21

Bonus Tracks:

15. The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire) 03:35
    16. Baby's Request 03:30
    17. My One And Only Love 03:50
    18. My Valentine (Johnny Mandel Original Arrangement) 03:12

Live From Capitol Studios:

19. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter (Live) 02:44
    20. Home (When Shadows Fall) (Live) 04:26
    21. It's Only A Paper Moon (Live) 02:55
    22. More I Cannot Wish You (Live) 03:28
    23. The Glory Of Love (Live) 03:53
    24. We Three (My Echo, My Shadow And Me) (Live) 04:14
    25. Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate The Positive (Live) 02:51
    26. My Valentine (Live) 03:31
    27. Always (Live) 04:21
    28. My Very Good Friend The Milkman (Live) 03:14
    29. Bye Bye Blackbird (Live) 04:45
    30. Get Yourself Another Fool (Live) 07:48
    31. My One And Only Love (Live) 04:16

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  25. Dr. Pepper

[​IMG]

New
    is an album by Paul McCartney, released on 11 October 2013. It is his sixteenth studio album and his first since 2007's Memory Almost Full to consist entirely of new compositions.[4]

The album was executive produced by Giles Martin with production by Martin, Mark Ronson, Ethan Johns and Paul Epworth. McCartney has stated that the record was inspired by recent events in his life as well as memories of his pre-Beatles history. He added that some of the arrangements are unlike his usual rock recordings, and that he specifically sought out younger producers to record the album.[5] He and his stage band performed in various venues to promote the record, along with promotional events held through social media.

The first single "New" and the album as a whole has been greeted positively by music critics. The song became BBC Radio 2's record of the week and was placed on their A-list. The album later debuted at number three in the UK Album Chart.

Recording

McCartney had initially intended to trial four of his favourite producers and select the best to record the whole album with.[6] McCartney ended up recording with all four:Mark Ronson, Ethan Johns, Paul Epworth and Giles Martin.[4][6] Martin produced the majority of the tracks and acted as executive producer on the album. Recording took place at Henson Recording Studios in Los Angeles; Avatar Studios in New York;Abbey Road Studios, Air Studios and Wolf Tone Studios in London; and The Mill in East Sussex.

Ronson had been selected following his set as DJ at McCartney's wedding to Nancy Shevell two years before production began. The producer noted that he was preoccupied with his own wedding occurring at about the same time as McCartney's, and had nearly forgotten to call him back to accept the offer. A few months after Ronson served as DJ for another McCartney event in New York, Ronson received a call inviting him into the studio. In total Ronson recorded three tracks: "New", "Alligator" and "Secret Life of a Party Girl", although the third track does not appear on the album.[7]

Composition

"I just started knocking something out on the piano, he started drumming to it, and I stuck a bit of bass on it and we had the basis of the song worked out."[8]

—McCartney on songwriting with Epworth, BBC News, August 2013
    McCartney has said that the album would be "very varied. I worked with four producers and each of them brought something different".[8] The songs produced by Paul Epworth "weren't written" but improvised.[8] The title track, "New", is a "love song but it's saying, 'Don't look at me, I haven't got any answers.' It says, 'I don't know what's happening, I don't know how it's all happening, but it's good and I love you.'"[8]

Other tracks are autobiographical: "On My Way to Work" was written about his pre-fame past alluding to his time working as a driver's mate for Speedy Prompt Delivery inLiverpool.[9] Similarly on the day McCartney composed "Early Days", he had been reminiscing about his past in Liverpool with John Lennon: "I started to get images of us in the record shop listening to early rock and roll and looking at the posters and the joy that that gave me remembering all those moments."[10] The refrain of "Queenie Eye" was also taken from a childhood game McCartney had played in Liverpool.[11]

Regarding contemporary inspirations, McCartney expressed that the album had been influenced by his marriage to Shevell: "This is a happy period in my life, having a new woman — so you get new songs when you get a new woman." He felt that New is generally joyful, but with an undercurrent of "pain getting changed to laughter".[10] Ronson referred to the song "Alligator" in particular as being "brooding" and "quite tough".[7] McCartney wrote "Everybody Out There" specifically to "get the audience singing along" and that he was particularly proud of "Early Days" and the hidden track "Scared".[12]

Promotion

A "drive-in" listening event took place at the Open Road car dealership in Manhattan.

"New" was released as a single to the iTunes Store and SoundCloud on 28 August 2013.[4] The single came with the announcement that the album would be released on 14 October in the United Kingdom, and a day later in the United States.[8] A deluxe edition was also announced featuring two bonus tracks.[4] An official McCartneyInstagram account launched at the same time the album was revealed.[13] McCartney debuted the songs "Save Us" and "Everybody Out There" at the third annualiHeartRadio Music Festival.[14]

On 23 September 2013, McCartney's news blog unveiled the final artwork for New, replacing the earlier minimal black and white logo used as a placeholder for online retailers. The logo and cover concept was conceived by UK art and design team Rebecca and Mike, with CGI created by Ben Ib. The imagery of fluorescent lights was inspired by the sculptural work of Dan Flavin.[15][16] The titles of the deluxe edition bonus tracks were also announced: "Turned Out" and "Get Me Out of Here".[15]Promotion later included a Twitter interview on 4 October, when McCartney answered fan questions related to the album.[12]

On 6 October, full-album listening events took place in the form of drive-ins: in the Los Angeles area fans brought their vehicles to the Vinland Drive-In, whereas in New York City listeners were taken to the rooftop of an Open Road Volkswagen dealership to sit in new cars belonging to the company.[17] The drive-in idea came about late into the promotional campaign, when McCartney had been listening to the album in his own car about a week before the event took place.[18]

On 10 October, McCartney and his band performed a surprise concert in Times Square after posting two short tweets announcing the event about an hour before it occurred.[19] The brief performance consisted of four tracks off the album ("New," "Save Us," "Everybody Out There," and "Queenie Eye"), lasting about fifteen minutes. The event gathered a large crowd and came a day after another surprise concert to 400 students at Frank Sinatra School for the Arts in Queens, New York. The performance at the school was filmed and was streamed on Yahoo! on 14 October.[20] McCartney has also performed songs from the album onJimmy Kimmel Live and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.

Reception

Professional ratings
    Aggregate scores
    SourceRating
    Metacritic77/100[21]

The first track to be released, "New", was greeted positively by critics and the musical press. As well as being selected as BBC Radio 2's Record of the Week[8][31]and placed on their A-list,[32] the track was greeted as the 'Track of the Day' by Mojowhich praised its "doe-eyed optimism, irresistible melody" and "orchestrated pop arrangements".[33] Rolling Stone's Will Hermes, praised its "bouncy harpsichord-laden melody", giving it a four-star rating and drawing comparisons to the Beatles' "Got to Get You into My Life",[34] a view shared by The Daily Telegraph which described it as a "jaunty, Beatles-esque stomp".[35] J.C. Maçek III of PopMatters said "New is no Abbey Road, but it is a remarkable album from the 71-year-old version of the man who has brought us decades of great rock ‘n’ roll songs."[29]
    Commercial performance
    The album debuted at number three on the Billboard 200 chart, with first-week sales of 67,000 copies in the United States.[36] The single "New" debuted at number 9 and peaked at number 4 on the Japanese Singles Charts.[37] The album debuted at number 1 in Norway; number 2 in Denmark, France, and Japan; number 3 in Canada (selling 8,500 copies in its first week),[38] the UK, and the US; number 4 in Italy; number 5 in Croatia; number 6 in Austria and Germany; and number 9 in the Swedish charts;[39] this represents McCartney's highest solo career chart placement since 1989'sFlowers in the Dirt album.[original research?] Until the end of 2013, 15.000 copies of New have been sales in Brazil.

Track listing

All songs written by Paul McCartney, except "Save Us", "Queenie Eye", and "Road" written by McCartney and Paul Epworth.

New – standard edition[40]
    No.TitleProducer(s)[5][41]Length
    1."Save Us" Paul Epworth2:39
    2."Alligator" Mark Ronson3:27
    3."On My Way to Work" Giles Martin3:43
    4."Queenie Eye" Epworth3:47
    5."Early Days" Ethan Johns4:07
    6."New" Ronson2:56
    7."Appreciate" Martin4:28
    8."Everybody Out There" Martin3:21
    9."Hosanna" Johns3:29
    10."I Can Bet" Martin3:21
    11."Looking at Her" Martin3:05
    12."Road" (includes "Scared" as a hidden track)Epworth, Martin ("Scared")7:39
    Total length:46:11
    New – deluxe edition bonus tracks
    No.TitleProducer(s)[15]Length
    13."Turned Out" Johns, additional work by Martin2:59
    14."Get Me Out of Here" (includes "Scared" as a hidden track)Martin6:15
    New – Japanese edition bonus tracks
    No.TitleProducer(s)Length
    15."Struggle" (includes "Scared" as a hidden track)Epworth, Martin ("Scared")7:58

Personnel

Adapted from liner notes[42]

• Paul McCartney – vocals, guitars, lap steel guitar, bass guitar, bouzouki, piano, glockenspiel, harpsichord, Wurlitzer,keyboards, mellotron, percussion, synthesizers, harmonium, celesta, drums, tape loops
        • Rusty Anderson – guitars on tracks 2, 3, 5–8, 10, 11, backing vocals, bouzouki on track 6
        • Paul Epworth – drums, production on tracks 1, 4, 12, 15
        • Ethan Johns - drums, percussion, production on track 5, production on tracks 9, 13
        • Abe Laboriel, Jr. – drums on tracks 2, 6–8, backing vocals on tracks 5–7
        • Steve McManus – bass guitar on tracks 3, 8
        • Toby Pitman – keyboards on track 11, programming on tracks 3, 7, 8, 10, 11
        • Richard Pryce – bass guitar on tracks 3, 8
        • Brian Ray – guitars on tracks 2, 3, 5–8, dulcimer[disambiguation needed] on track 5, backing vocals on tracks 6, 7
        • Paul Wickens – keyboards on track 2, guitar, piano, accordion on track 3, Hammond organ on track 10

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.