Beatles Target (store) exclusives

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dave-gtr, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I don't like the t-shirt designs. They should have just put the picture sleeve artwork on the T-shirts. That would have looked much nicer.

I hope they sell the singles separately, for those of us who don't want to fork over extra money for the shirts.

2. readandburn

readandburn Active Member

Funny...I like the shirt designs because they aren't just the sleeve artwork.

3. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident Thread Starter

So.... you Beatle people, should I buy this vinyl version, or hold out for an original single? Don't care about collectibility, but I just want a good vinyl single version...

And is "You Know My Name" in mono?

4. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

Why is Target on the inside track with Capitol / EMI / Apple money is the answer.
    These should be in real record stores like Record Store Day.
    I said long ago all new product would be a surprise Thanks to the original poster.
    I want to buy these for sure ==I'm not stupid==

5. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

What part of the store?

6. bward

bward Senior Member

Back in 1997, Capitol issued 3 Summer of Love Beatles CD promo singles, replicating the sleeves for SFF, HG, AYNIL. The talk back then was that Capitol had to go to the collecting community to recreate the sleeves, as it no longer had the original artwork.

Don't know if that's true.

And if it is, i'm sure they had to go to the well for these.

I find it interesting that in 40 years since all of the Beatles singles and picture sleeves were released Capitol has reissued a handful of them only 3 times.

First, in 1984, the second, the 1997 CD's, and today these Target exclusives.

I don't know how I'm going to resist buying a set of unopened packages, and then a second set to open.

The damn T-shirts just muddy up the water.

And why Target exclusives? Can you imagine the buzz if these were out for Record Store Day?

BW

7. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

For $20 I would think that you could find an original single (analog) in very good condition.

8. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

Right == Record Store Day would be a RIOT to get these
    Now just fork over $85 and you have it.

9. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

"You Know My Name" is mono, and as someone has said, an original should be easy to get under $20, assuming you don't want the sleeve.

The original single version is also available on the 1967-1970 "blue" album and they are pretty common, too.

10. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Then get a UK pressing. The re-pressings from the late 70s are great, affordable, and can often be found in near mint condition. And the sound will blow away the original US pressings.

Here's Can't Buy Me Love cheaply on eBay right now (not my auction):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beatles-Cant-buy-me-love-You-Cant-do-45-NM-R5114-UK-/220845092541

11. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Great, now let's see these in the UK :laugh:

12. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

This is the only way I'll ever get a Can't Buy Me Love sleeve. I have all the others but at $700+ that one was always too steep for me. $20 I can do and not feel bad about it.

I was in a record store in 1982 and watched a guy swing a deal for $500 and some other items to trade to get one. He was so happy he finally got one he gave me a Love Me Do Tollie sleeve in the process. Talk about right place right time.

13. bward

bward Senior Member

I traded a set of Beatles colorforms (incomplete) that I bought at a flea market for $1 for a Can't Buy Me Love Sleeve. My sleeve is not in mint condition. But I love having a copy. NM copies are up over a grand now. Could be higher, but I got out of that a long time ago. Just glad I have the one I have!

BW

14. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

:thumbsup:

Great deal! I would be happy with a less than mint myself just to have one.

15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Would be interested in hearing more about the sound of these. I don't really collect 7"s, but it'd be a good indication of future vinyl product, especially mono stuff.

16. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

17. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I went down to Target this afternoon and picked up "Hello Goodbye"/"Walrus" and "Help"/"I'm Down". My wife said those are too expensive and for TARGET, I almost have to agree. I mean, why is TARGET selling these and unadvertised, at that? Weird, but cool

18. Horace Wimp

Horace Wimp The 39,891st Beatle

If I recall, the shirt sizes are marked

S/M

L/XL

Would like to know if the shirt was actually a large or an extra large before I bought it.

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

What section did you find them in? Was it electronics?

20. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Just a thought. Are these 45 reissues, just a precursor to 12" LP reissues? :D

21. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I found mine in the CD section. They were on an endcap.

The original Capitol 45 mix of "I Am The Walrus" with the extra beats in true mono (as opposed to the Rarities abomination) was enough for me to get the "Hello Goodbye" package. It, also, has my favorite of the four t-shirt designs. Had no use for the other three.

The record is quite sturdy for a 45 and the sleeve is the thickness usually reserved for EPs.

Well played, Capitol.

22. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

This is making me nervous, as I can't get to a Target until tomorrow. How many of each 45 is on display?

23. Runt

Runt Senior Member

There weren't a ton at my Target, maybe three or four of each title/t-shirt size. I picked up all four.

24. oboeman123

oboeman123 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the head up on these. These are a little pricey, however my wife likes the shirts. So I call it $10 for the 45 and $10 for the shirt. Even though they are digital, they sound very good to my ears. Plus the quality is amazing. Heavy card stock and I was surprised how heavy the vinyl is. I hope this is just a sneak peak of things to come. I would love a box set of all the capital singles and their sleeves.

25. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I saw about four each. Two with S/M shirts. Two with L/XL shirts. I got one of the latter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.