Beatles Remasters On Vinyl: Please Post News Here

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dgsinner, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. odysseyrevolver

odysseyrevolver Member

That sums up my thoughts.

2. I think that EMI and Apple are taking things in steps--1) the CD remasters 2) itunes 3) vinyl reissues--I suspect also with EMI being in the shape they are in financially they couldn't afford to do all of these at once (or at leas the vinyl/CD remasters at the same time) and, perhaps, they look at it as a way to continue to generate revenue on The Beatles brand over a longer period of time.

3. den0iZer

den0iZer Forum Resident

4. pronghorn

pronghorn Forum Resident

not a threadcrap i promise

Honestly, I hope they do re-release the Beatles on vinyl.

However, unless they are all-analog, I wouldn't buy them.

I don't see the point in digital vinyl.

I understand that hi-rez files cut to vinyl will retain the extra stuff,

but still, digital vinyl contains the limitations of both digital and analog

3 conversions instead of 2: A->D->A vs. A->A or A->D

Sterling has their all-analog setup, do it there

if not, give us hi-rez digital of the original 24/192 files (blu-ray audio, hi-rez downloads, ect.)

digital vinyl is blah

5. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

It would be funny if Slovakia turns out to be the first (and only?) country in which the new vinyl gets a release!:righton:

6. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

7. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

So for approx 150 Pounds Sterling I get a new vinyl set? And no mention of stand alone vinyl....
    No issue with digital lps from Hi-rez. Mine sound fine thank you.

8. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

That's a decent price for 16 LPs!

As for digital vinyl, no problems with it here either. As I write, I'm listening to my needledrop of the Stones' Black and Blue from the 2010 box set sourced from 16/44.1 digital and I doubt the finest all-analog chain could make it sound much better (excess compression on the digital master notwithstanding). This is why I'd like to see GZ do these vinyl boxes, they really seem to know how to produce LPs from digital sources better than some of the other pressing houses.

9. Onder

Onder Senior Member

10. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Well, they already gave you the USB with high-res digital on it.

11. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Only if they can be made from existing stampers, or if they can run enough cutters in parallel to minimize any further wear and tear on the tapes for the foreseeable future. No difference to me, as I don't have a turntable, but I can understand the desire for analog pressing. However, preservation of the masters tapes is becoming a priority, I suspect. They can run as much vinyl from the digital masters with no concerns.

12. pronghorn

pronghorn Forum Resident

The USB stick was only 24/44 and did not include any mono tracks :thumbsdn:

13. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I think you mean "2 conversions instead of 1 (or none)".

Perhaps EMI could stand to do one more 1:1 copy of the original masters, preferably to half-inch, 30IPS analog tape - not just for this project, but for future posterity as well. I'll bet most discerning audiophiles wouldn't mind a cut from something like that...

14. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Actually, the Beatles remasters went through two conversions already.
    A->D(24/192)->A->D(24/44/1) for each track with the compilation of each album occurring only after they were in 24/44.1.

I also wonder why they didn't archive the analog master tapes the way Abkco apparently did for the Stones in 2002. When transferring the masters to DSD, they also did 30ips flat copies of the tapes for archival purposes. It was also mentioned somewhere I read that they were potentially going to cut LPs from those copies of the master tapes but decided to source them from DSD to ensure consistency between Bob Ludwig's mastering on the SACDs and the LPs. I think the same logic might apply to the Beatles LPs in that the 24/192 transfers were flat and had no mastering work done on them, just some low-level digital fixing of tape glitches, etc.

So if their concern is consistency among the four formats (CD, USB stick digital downloads, and LPs, either they source the LPs from 24/44.1 or they redo all the mastering moves for each track using the 24/192 files converted out to analog, then recompile each album on analog master tapes and cut from that.

15. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Psssst . . . I already have The Beatles on vinyl. All analog. No digital limiting. Pass it on.

16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Not everyone is so fortunate. I was born 20 years too late to get nice original pressings, so if they actually put out a vinyl box and did it right, it would be a major event for a lot of people too young or too far removed from the 60's & 70's to have the Beatles on vinyl.

17. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Psssssst.... There are some nice Blue Boxes out there.

18. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Psssssst...not in mono!

19. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Psssst...is the sound a lot of my Beatles vinyl makes, because it's wrecked :(

20. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Is this an offer?

21. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

You're right, good mono is had to get. I have some good late 60's French pressings on Odeon before Pathe-Marconi switched to stereo. Believe it or not, Beatles records were released in mono only in France until 1965. Revolver was the first LP released in stereo here. Until 1974, PPM, AHDN, H! and RS were mono only here. After their initial release, WTB and BFS were available as imports from Odeon Germany until 1977.

22. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Not true, :angel: but of course you mean other than "Love Me Do", "P.S. I Love You", "She Loves You", "I'll Get You" and "Only A Northern Song". :nyah:

23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Demand for a vinyl box set would be massive. There is a whole generation out there who want it. It's a no-brainer.

24. GeorgeZ

GeorgeZ Forum Resident

Elton John/Leon Russell LPs were cut to lacquer foils elsewhere, not in our cutting studios here in GZ Vinyl:shake:.
    I have no time to find out who cut those foils according their handwritten signatures so try it by yourself.
    We only pressed the records - the same procedure as for many titles for Back to Black. I will not comment the quality control of our plating/pressing department because I have no opportunity (and knowledge) to change anything there.

All DMM Cu plates and lacquer foils cut here are galvanized without any handwritten signatures and numbers. It could help you to identify our cuts better.

25. GeorgeZ

GeorgeZ Forum Resident

We do some tweaking sometimes, but only to accommodate the master to limits of mechanical cutting technology. Our approach is to cut the plates to have the sound as close to the supplied master as possible. There are some exceptions, for some customers we do more mastering work if they order an additional audio mastering, but for most of them is so called "Flat cut" better.

Of course our ears are used, do you think we mute all audio outputs during processing of master files?:realmad:

I think that our two Neumann cutting lathes VMS-82 + cutting amplifiers SAL-84 and SAL-82 from eighties and VMS-70 + SAL-74B from seventies are enough old to be treated as vintage. Also three Telefunken and two Studer analogue tape recorders/players which can be used for cutting.

Without the new mastering system there would not be possible to increase the quality of our cutting last 1-2 years and at the same time to keep up the number of plates cut per day to supply the plating/pressing dept.

Yes, DMM technology has some drawbacks, but the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. We can cut both ways and can compare the results. How many people propagating lacquer cuts only can do the same?

If you have any questions or critique, please post in the appropriate topic:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=224348 and NOT HERE. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.