Beatles Remasters On Vinyl: Please Post News Here

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dgsinner, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

No they didn't. Besides, not all the 2010 ATMP pressings are bad. Quite a few of us have no problems with our pressings at all. Mine was fine in terms of the pressing. The mastering is another issue. It's a bit detailed on the highs compared to my -1U UK pressing but the bass blows the UK pressing away easily.

Still, I repeat what I wrote above, if the Beatles vinyl reissues are to be digitally sourced, I'd like to see GZ do them as everyting I've bought from them in the past year or two that was digitally sourced rivals some of the best analog-sourced pressings I have and their overall pressing quality is easily as good as Pallas or RTI (if not better than the latter).

2. That sounds about right for 16 records. $25 per lp, probably UK or Pallas (Germany) pressed too.

3. den0iZer

den0iZer Forum Resident

There are still better pressing plants in Europe and much better cutting rooms with mastering engineers than GZ, sorry. For me, GZ will be only the last choice. The problem with GZ is, that they cut masters flat, their cuts are using only 3/4 of the space, grooves are shallow and mostly their cuts are quiet. And when you get the vinyl out of the inner bag, it became automatically graded as VG. Many of their presses are faulty, records are warped and color vinyls do not match the color scheme you want to have.
    I also hate their egoistic advertising that GZ is the only producer of vinyl and only pressing plant in the whole world (which is rubbish).
    So, Beatles remastered LP's should be cut in Abbey Road Studios and pressed in Hayes, Middlesex.

4. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

The iTunes deal, however much of a non-event it was for Forum members, was a much better move for the Beatles than ignoring that in favor of the vinyl set.

5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I'm a big fan of GZ's mastering, having used them for my last project. I sent them a digital 96k/24bit master (their preferred resolution) - They sent back a test pressing that sounded stunning. Loud cut, full of dynamics and presence. No easy feat, considering the sides were over 22 minutes long with lots of bass and stereo craziness.

Pallas is great as well, but if it is GZ I'll be buying them up for sure.

6. Onder

Onder Senior Member

What's wrong with cutting flat when customer demands that? I think that nobody suggested Beatles remasters should be MASTERED by GZ. It was about pressing the vinyl. And judging by experience of the other member and the recent Stones box the pressing quality of GZ is more than good. Where does your bad experience come from? Plus nowhere on their site is a statement that they're the only vinyl pressing plant in the world. Where do you have it from? Ondra

7. den0iZer

den0iZer Forum Resident

Nothing is wrong with flat cut, but sometimes masters needs some little tweaking, while GZ engineers just try to cut what they got and sometimes it sounds thin, sometimes unbalanced, etc. The bad experience come from not only my experience when they simply ignore some mastering notes and even they primarily use digital masters, they don't try to tweak the sound of recording to not sound like CD, even when cutting vintage analog recordings. Back To Black edition releases cut and pressed in GZ sounds pretty appaling. Maybe the Stones box is superb, but still it is only one of the few positive experiences with GZ, while there are so many negative experiences. I dislike that they rely on digital technology to "do best cuts ever", but they simply didn't use ears and vintage equipment. And their preferred DMM technology isn't as good as many people expect.
    Their statement about that they are only one producer of vinyl and one pressing plant comes from them and they use it as their advertising on their page few years ago. From now on, they are "the best"...

8. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Well put. As Jiri (George Z) of GZ has pointed out in other threads, they often are not included in the mastering decisions but are given the final prepare master files to simply cut to vinyl.

Plus, how many officials from Pallas and RTI bother to come into audophile forums to get feedback, share inside info when they can, or put up with biased comments about work they did 20 years ago?

9. PatrickO'Donnell

PatrickO'Donnell Active Member

I've noticed the uptick in GZ's quality over the last year or so and I appreciate Jiri coming on here to answer questions, but I'm still not willing to put GZ on the level of Pallas or RTI. I still want to know what's up with that weird grit that's all over so many of their pressings!

As for the weird Stones/Beatles rivalry speculation, it's obviously a non-issue. I'm assuming that when new Beatles vinyl appears (and I'm sure it will) it'll be available as individual albums, and AFAIK the Stones reissues are exclusive to the boxes for the foreseeable future. I'm curious to see how a vinyl rollout will work, just because pressing enough CDs to meet demand is obviously a lot easier than pressing enough LPs. If everything is released at once I wouldn't be surprised if they have to use multiple plants.

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I highly doubt that

11. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

If Apple/EMI really comes out with (a) Vinyl-Box(es), i think, they will use their Contract-Factory in Roebel/Germany.
    Roebel is on of the biggest European CD/DVD/Blu-Ray-Vinyl-Factorys, they have a big machine-park,
    with full In-House-Service from Mastering, Printing/Pressing etc. and were new build up after 1990.
    The Beatles-Stereo-CD-Box / Lennon-CD-Box is also in production there.

http://www.optimal-online.de/English.65.0.html

EMI is also using actually the "Vinyl-Factory" in England when they release Titles on Vinyl.

http://www.thevinylfactory.com/

But with the big "Beatles-Vinyl-Thing", i think, EMI goes with Optimal/Roebel in Germany.
    They have become a big "Box-Competence" in the last 3 years together with EMI.
    The Master-Cut, in the Case of The Beatles, of course, will come from Abbey-Road.
    Optimal/Roebel is doing DMM-Cut when they do self-cutting, i think Abbey-Road is doing the same.

12. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Dear Apple. Please get with the program and issue it. Regards vinylfan.

13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Were your Sleeves busted at the seams from the record edge?

Who did press ATMP??

14. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

15. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Nope, they were fine. I have no idea who pressed them.

16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

But you know GZ did not.:confused:

17. emkay

emkay Senior Member

They didn't press mine!

18. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I've seen it stated here several times that they did not. Plus, forum member Goerge Z works at GZ and participates in threads for any of their releases, so since he hasn't chimed in here, it backs up what others have said.

19. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

I'll say again ==

What makes you think The Beatles remasters are going to be released on vinyl.
    There's more work and very little money to be made from vinyl.

20. That could be the reason why the vinyl releases have yet to come out--perhaps EMI and/or Apple doesn't see them as money makers. Maybe even Paul, Ringo, Yoko, and Olivia do not see them as money makers. Who knows?

21. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Jeff Jones has said they're working on them, so I doubt he'd say that if they weren't seriously planning a release.

22. attym

attym Forum Resident

A mono box would be nice... That, I would buy.

23. I do believe we will soon see the new mono and stereo vinyl, first the box sets and then the single album releases, maybe even starting by this coming fall/winter.

IMO, with that customized iTunes deal finally happening, it placed any vinyl editions immediately further down the rank and onto the back burner for a while.

24. PatrickO'Donnell

PatrickO'Donnell Active Member

I'm sure there's money to be made, otherwise major labels wouldn't be getting into the game. And really, it's the Beatles - if any band can sell just about anything with their name on it, it's them. If there wasn't demand I doubt I'd be seeing that old "new" pressing of Abbey Road in shops all over the place.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if there are issues similar to the iTunes negotiations regarding pressing new LPs - perhaps the band/their estates are still locked into old royalty rates for vinyl?

25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

They released all the other recent Beatles projects on vinyl ("Love," "Let It Be Naked," "1") regardless of whether or not they were money makers.

Given that the crappy post-'87 version of "Abbey Road" is still in print and the biggest selling vinyl LP of 2010, I'd say there's money to be made here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.