Beatles Remasters on Vinyl, part 3, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larry Johnson, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

15 ips quarter inch masters.

Like I said (about six months ago), can't use those anymore. G-d knows why.

2. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

:righton:Or the Target 45s. I have two of the four 45rpm singles that were released last year at Target and they sound terrific to my ears, but my system is very modest.

3. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

Roger (Waters) knows? :D Maybe we should ask him in an email?

Best Steve,

Bob

4. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

OK - totally WILD guess, but I assume those tapes are insured for a gazillion dollars - maybe two gazillion. Is it possible that there would be considerable insurance premiums to pay when they are used? Thus the digital safeties?

5. PostalBlowfish75

PostalBlowfish75 Senior Member

I'm going to get a few for sure, looks like the SH forum discount works at Soundstage Direct. At least on the individual titles.

6. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Could this have been cut and pasted from the CD box set description or...?

7. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Cut and pasted. I also noticed that the listing for Past Masters had one long stretch and not broken down by LP (the White Album does, but there were two CD's for that as well. Not the case for Past Masters).

Honestly, it looks like they took the Stereo CD Boxed set description, changed "CD" to LP and nothing else except the first paragraph which looks tacked on. It even states extra liner notes and packaging, but until the dust settles I don't trust that description yet.

8. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Not that excited here. Will keep waiting for the monos as I have a blue box. Could be a long time I guess.

9. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Would have loved all analog LPs...

Oh well. Might buy LIB to join the party. I don't have a UK 1st pressing.

10. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

Yeah!

(sorry, couldn't resist)

11. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The McCartney re-issued vinyl of the past couple years might be a better example of what to expect. I believe it's the same team of mastering engineers and the same process. FWIW, I happen to (surprisingly) like the sound of the McCartney re-issued LPs I purchased.

12. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

For about $400, I would think you can score a pretty nice BC-13 Blue Box.

13. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Pretty cool news for vinyl fetishists who still haven't jumped for a Blue Box, I guess. I play the cd mono remasters every now and then, but they'll never be my go-to choices. We'll have to see how the new records stack up against the BC-13s. (Or my versions of them, anyway).

Jeff

14. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I'll buy Sgt. Pepper since that's the one remastered Beatles stereo CD I do like. Will skip the rest and hope for a Mono box.

15. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

I read that comment and was puzzled as well. Is the commenter inferring that the source was 22/44.1 up-sampled to 24/192, or was the commenter calling out the claim that the vinyl transfers were sourced from 24/192 as bogus?

16. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I will wait for the reviews (and shipping updates) and for the price on the box to drop to under $300.

17. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I asked my contact at EMI last evening and it was news to them. I sent them the Elusive Disc email saying the LP's are coming and up for pre-order to which they replied with "Interesting". Hopefully there will be an official announcement/Press Release today.

18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The description sounds like the process used for the CD's. A big no no then unless they have dumped the no noise and compression. Probably will wait for the mono box !

19. moon unit

moon unit Forum Resident

A buyer should expect a discount for buying the box set, not to pay $50+ more vs. buying them separately.

Is the box and book worth more than $100+ extra when buying at the list price (or $50+ at the pre-order price)?

20. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Though I'm going to pass (I can't believe Digital Transfers to Vinyl are going to come close to nice original [or 70's represses]) of UK, German, etc., pressings), the price is pretty good considering I paid $300 or $320 (I think) for my MFSL Box when new in 1982.

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

This sounds like it will be a beautiful product. But like most other EMI Beatles-related vinyl reissues, I would expect it to sound highly detailed, but ultimately less satisfying than the original vinyl. Don't sell your first press Parlophones (or your blue boxes, for that matter). At least not yet.

22. Classicrock

They got out the analogue tapes to transfer them to digital for the CD's. No insurance problem if they remain at Abbey Road. There is no good reason not to cut from analogue as they have the capabilities. Hi-Res can sound great but it didn't improve the sound of the recent PF Lp's and they were rather disappointing against original pressings.

They will have to have uped their game and removed any or most of the sound tweaking applied to the CD mastering for these to work. They will have to be up to the standard of the recent Ziggy and Fog On The Tyne, but that would probably mean Air and Ray Staff being employed.

23. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

So the Lp's will be cut from the 24/192 digital files. When transferd and pressed to Lp's, added distortion is what you get.

It's a strange world we live in. They offer no customers to listen to those 24/192 digital files, neither as downloads, blu-ray, SACD or whatever. But they do offer Lp's from these digital files. Silly.

I'm one of those who did not like the re-masteres stereo CD's. It's clean and clear, but it's like listen to the music thru a thin glass, the "organic" feeling and the emotional feeling is not there. Imo. But I really want to listen to these 24/192 raw files.

24. Classicrock

25. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.