Beatles Red & Blue Albums Remastered Oct. 19 (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think that should be the forum's motto in general. :laugh:

2. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I own the 1993 CDs, as well as not-exactly-VG-condition 1973 Apple Records LPs (I also once owned the Red and Blue albums on 8-track). Nevertheless, I bought the new CDs from Amazon and have been listening to them all day, especially the Blue album.

3. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I saw the new booklet for the Red album. At least two of the pictures are reversed. The last one, and the most noticeable one with the crate where the letters are backwards. Any photo program could have simply reversed these to look correct. How can nobody catch these things when nobodies like me can see it on first glance?

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Do you like them better than the 1993 CDs?

Evan

5. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

That is FUNNY!

6. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Senior Member

WOW....I laughed out loud at this picture. Very well done! :edthumbs:

7. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

On a more absurd note...

(...or a bit like Escher...:)

Attached Files:

8. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

The more I read this thread, the weaker I'm getting. :eek:

9. JOSERENATO

JOSERENATO Forum Resident

Great!!!!! :):):):):)

10. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I just saw your posts about the £7.99 price - I was fearing they'd be cheap, that's why I've been trying to avoid the temptation to go to Sainsburys all week!

What are the booklets like?!!

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

We know the '93 CDs didn't come from EQ'd cutting masters because they used the remixes from Help and Rubber Soul, had the clean intro to ADITL, etc. I.e., plenty of differences from the original LPs.

The original transfers were, according to EMI, mostly/completely flat, from the master tapes. The '93 CDs had additional EQ and noise reduction, in some cases adding more bass and high end.

So, no.

12. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

The booklet to the Red Album is back to calling "Please Please Me" a #1 single. The history that was abandoned when "1" came out.

13. Jeez, there is so much misinformation in this thread that I don't know where to start.

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

You sound surprised.

15. :laugh:

You've been doing double duty to straighten everything out. I wish I had that patience.

16. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:laugh:

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

But, if they had issued the remastered red and blue CDs first, that would have reduced the demand for the proper albums.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  18. Grant

Exactly! I compared the early 90s R&B CDs against the new ones.

19. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

Pre-ordered the Red (19.88) and Blue (13.99) from Amazon with price match guarantee.

Both were delivered Tuesday afternoon. Amazon then refunded 5.89 on the Red album due to the price match guarantee. So 27.98 total for both sets delivered on 10/19 with no chasing around. I can live with that.

20. Grant

And, in some cases, possibly slashing the low end because, remember, back then, many people could not handle such deep bass, and would have thrown fits if they encountered distortion because their cheap Sony square aluminum driver home speakers, or their cheap Soundesign system couldn't deliver. I am not saying that's what they did, but from my A/B comparison, that's what I hear, the bass slashed on the older CD. If you take the remastered CD, feed it into your Pro-Tools, and slach the bass up to, say, 25-30Hz, you will hear the effect I hear on the old CD. The remaster's bass sounds full and rich, not boosted.

21. Grant

Different country.

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What on earth are you talking about? Now you're trying to claim the low end was "slashed" on the '87/'88 and '93 CDs because...why, exactly?

As I've asked you before, Grant, without having heard the master tapes, how can you know if CDs have the bass "slashed" or "restored"?

23. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I think you need to look closely at the photo with the crate. I believe that one is correct. John is just sitting on top of the upside down crate. Of course when you turn something upside down with lettering on it, it's going to be reversed (and upside down.) Nothing wrong with the photo.

As for the other one you are talking about, I wouldn't know since there is really nothing to orient, except for the building, and I have never seen the photo before. Of course anyone familiar with the building they are posing in front of would be able to comment on it. Paul is left handed and he does appear funny looking in the picture. But I did a scan of that photo myself and then flipped the horizontal and it still looks funny looking. So, I don't know about that one.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, different chart.

25. Grant

Well, Luke, neither you or I know the exact truth as to why there is more bass on the new CDs and less on the older one, and which one is "more accurate". And, from the looks of things, the Abbey Road team is content to let us all bicker for eternity about these small issues.

I hear what I hear, and maybe you don't. If you do, we still have disagreements on why. Like I said earlier, I really no longer care why one sounds different than the other, just that they do, and I like the full bass.

So, it's "agree to disagree" time. I will continue to read your arguments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.