Beatles Red & Blue Albums Remastered Oct. 19 (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommyzax

tommyzax Member

Haven't seen this answered yet. Is "Please Please Me" the LP Mono (wet) or the 45 Mono (dry)? Please give an identifying mark.

2. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

My copy has the "x" in "Except"..must be a blooper outside of the US...or is the UK version the same as us?

3. Selteab

Selteab Free-hand sketcher and dancer of the hokey-pokey.

My version is 'printed in Australia' and has 'except' on the back: no typo.

4. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

Hmmmm. Thought I read that New Zealand copies came from Australia.
    Maybe it was messed up here or maybe all our copies are German imports? :D

5. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

The Blue album was the first Beatles album that I ever bought. It is excellent.

The only thing close to a criticism that I can muster for it is that the White Album is under-represented, but even that is a stretch. Besides, that is what you buy the White Album for anyway.

6. Selteab

Selteab Free-hand sketcher and dancer of the hokey-pokey.

It should say where it was printed on the back somewhere.

7. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

I didn't buy it. Was really annoyed by the typo ....and got POB and Imagine instead to satisfy my craving.
    Still deciding based on info in this thread as to where I'll source it.

8. SolarWind

SolarWind New Member

What did the Beatles members themselves say about Red and Blue albums

I just stumbled over some quite interesting quotes from 1973, what The Beatles themselves thought of the release of the Red and Blue album compilations back then. It is from this book:

Monday, April 2 (USA)
    The Beatles’ 1962-1966 and 1967-70 greatest hits double-album compilations are released in the UK . . .

UK music reporter Roy Carr unflatteringly reviews the four discs “Listen kids and listen hard. It is alleged that the only reason why this brace of Beatles double-albums has suddenly been unloaded upon an unsuspecting public is purely a political manoeuvre. The prime motivation is to combat a similar American bootleg pack (Alpha Omega) that has been extensively advertised on US TV. Such is the structure of both American and International laws, it is apparently easier (and less costly) to bung out an officially endorsed compilation than take on the entire kit ‘n’ caboodle before a High Court Judge. And at just two pence under eight bloody quid for the whole four albums, what do you receive for such expenditure? I’ll tell you, a shoddy and overpriced package of most of The Beatles and our greatest moments . . . If this is supposedly a ‘definitive’ Beatles collection, then someone somewhere has blatantly sold the lads and the public short. Taking into account the price of £3.99 per double-album, here was an opportunity to do a truly remarkable job of premium packaging, with photographs, notes, recording data and just about everything that would have made it more indispensable than it already is . . . The tracks are still as compelling as the day we first heard them. But the cardinal sin about these albums is that in the illustrious name of The Beatles, someone has seen fit to perpetrate the ultimate industry rip-off. All I can add is if George Harrison could see his way to release two three-album sets of newly recorded material at a reasonable price and The Rolling Stones could put out their Hot Rocks collection at a reduced retail price, why not The Beatles? Considering that all these tracks have recouped their original production costs a thousand fold and that there is a minimum of overheads, how come such an inflated price? The Fat Man lives.”

John “Allen Klein knocked out the basic list for the Red and Blue albums and then we’d just look down it and say, ‘Yes, no,’ and so on. I made sure they put that picture which I got Linda (McCartney) to take of the same pose as our very first album . . . No one can release old Beatles product without an okay from each of us. I like packages, you know. I approve of anything I would buy myself. I’d buy The Beatles’ one . . . I asked for George Martin to reproduce the tracks. I was involved in that respect, just checking on the condition of them, because I didn’t want lousy versions going out. I wanted them to be as it was. I asked Capitol/EMI, ‘Please ask George Martin to take care of this . . . at least he knows what to do. I don’t want some strange guy, you know, making dubbed versions of it and putting it out . . .’ I want to talk to George Martin, why were we always putting drums on the right and why wasn’t it in the middle? I was surprised. I was always thought in terms of mono. Anyway, I wasn’t that sold on stereo.”

Ringo “People who had the old records bought the double-albums, because their old copies were scratched. But I think a lot of new people bought them as well. To the kids of today, we are just like a myth, like some legend of the past. That’s what is going on. It’s a new crowd every year.”

Paul “I had a new record out and the old re-packaged records were out. I knew they were good but I didn’t actually know they were going to do that well. So when both records were up at the top, obviously I was chuffed to see mine did even better than The Beatles’ stuff, which I knew was great stuff, so I was pleased with that, not from a competition thing, knocking The Beatles off the top spot, or anything. But just the danger that our new record wouldn’t do as well because of the new (Beatles) one, that was a bit of a hang-up, you know, your past catching up with you.” ​

9. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Wow! Linda took that shot of them in 1969, holding the same pose on the Blue Album cover? Now I really know everything there is.

10. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

No it isn't tough. How come nobody can figure these things out? I've never come close to tearing or scratching anything. It's not hard. I know people here have to find SOMETHING to complain about, but this is not the rubix cube it's made out to be.

11. Must have been a mistake. I've never seen the black trays only the Blue ones.

12. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Interesting, this quote from John in Melody Maker, 3 November 1973 says George Martin actually selected the Red/Blue content, no mention of Klein.

John Lennon: George Martin controlled the choice of material on those albums more than any of us....they sent me lists and asked for my opinion, but I was busy...

13. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I've seen early issues of the Red and Blue with black trays. Most Canadian sets I've seen have had black trays as well.

14. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

"Please Please Me" has a slightly different EQ (the high end is a bit brighter).

15. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Really? That's interesting because that's the only mono Beatles track for which I don't use the 2009 mono remaster as my main source - it sounds too dull, especially compared to the 1993 Red Album version.

16. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Ditto here ... and I bought 'em on day of release back in '93.

I will say that my THE BEATLES (White Album) CDs originally came in two separate jewel cases, but even then the trays were white.

17. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

What's the verdict on the song "A Hard Day's Night" on the new 2010 RED CD? Improvement over the crappy 2009 remaster with muffled intro?

18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I actually ordered a 4-CD import copy of 1962-1970 from HMV.uk. I'm very curious about the packaging for that, too. Won't be out 'til next week.

19. So did I, more out of curiosity since I already got the regular issue.

20. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

From what I've read on this forum, it's exactly the same as the 2009 remaster.

21. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

:shake:

22. Rottenstain

Rottenstain Forum Resident

Gee, i don't know where to start with these sets so confusing:

The 93 CDs are different mixes to the ones found on any other versions?

If so, have they used the 93 mixes on this re-master or have they just used 2009 masters ?

And what would you do, if you had purchased the mono set with the stereo 2009 masters of Abbey Road, Let It Be, Past Masters. but also had Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, White Album 80s masters. Which Red and Blue master would be more beneficial to my situation ?

Sorry i am just kind of lost in this thread and would appreciate the help :thumbsup:

:)

23. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

As I have wondered up-thread.

Others have seen a slip-case edition which simply packages the two standard digi-packs together. (In Germany and Australia.)

I do have this on pre-order from amazon.uk, but I believe release has been pushed back to November.

24. There were no remixes made for the 1993 discs. A few tracks made their stereo CD debut and one or two tracks were folded in a bit. No new remixes, though.

The new Red and Blue remasters use the 2009 remasters and not the CD masters compiled in 1993.

Hopefully this post answered your questions. There is a lot of misinformation in this thread and frankly, it's to your benefit you did not wade through it.

25. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

OK,Billy,I got it now! Your explanation is way better than mine! That will make my listening to it way more pleasant!:righton: I'm gonna get the "Blue" Album on Tuesday! Once again,THANK YOU!:thumbsup: (Hope I
    Didn't get your dander up too much! I Apologize!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.