Beatles Mono Box - best way to listen?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by imarcq, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

No one's mentioned it but...if the center image is hollow, most likely your speakers wiring may be out of phase. In other words, one speaker's + and - wiring may be reversed from the other speaker. This will cause the center image to "phase out".

I found this out with a speaker setup I had in another part of the house that's hooked up to my main system last weekend when listening to the mono "White Album" LP. I reversed the speaker wire one one set and my center was reinforced.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This thread should help everyone:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=41802&highlight=speakers+phase

3. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Is it nine if you like stereo too? :confused:

4. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

Does mono really sound better on speakers than headphones?

5. Grant

It sounds good either way to me.

6. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

Be careful when you're high and listening through headphones though, sometimes it sounds like the music is coming DIRECTLY FROM YOUR BRAIN!!!
    Just a bit upsetting.

7. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

I thought that was why Lennon was such a prodigious song writer :confused:

8. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

9. Grant

It's been five years. I suppose there are enough new-generation forum members to resurrect it.

10. Jan

Jan New Member

Imagine that you have been quadraphonic listeners for years. That would be four speakers. Then someone asks the best way to listen to The Beatles Stereo Box.

Well, naturally you're all going to say, don't be a dink, of course you listen to it through all four speakers! :agree: Why wouldn't you listen to it like you do all of your quad recordings! :cheers: It just isn't right to listen to stereo with two speakers! :laugh: It's like totally weird, man! :edthumbs: I've always listened to stereo with my four quad speakers, man, for decades--you think I've been wrong for all these years or something! :winkgrin:

The guy who points out that stereo works great with two speakers, that four is the wrong way to do it, well--what does he know anyway?! :nauga:

11. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

I only read the 1st page of this thread.
    My Gosh!
    I've not known such rudeness at SHF B4 (I've been away for a while; maybe a good thing).
    This is a valid thread cause of a 1st timer (so, its really a Q of how do you listen too mono in general) & a valid Q because not everyone system is setup right (very few are).

Too the OP fr: Down Under,

Are you seated in the "sweet spot"?
    Are your spks in the "golden triangle"?
    Or are you just listening on the computer?

If you are indeed setup for "phantom center channel" soundstaging; your good too go!

Enjoy (and sorry 'bout the Yankee wankers)!

12. aaron313

aaron313 Member

Check yo'self before you wreck yo'self.

13. Mike Ga

Mike Ga Formerly meredrums and MikeG

Just find a nice place to sit down in front of your Stereono, and find the spot where the sound is coming from the middle. Move your head around a bit till you find it. 'It" being a nice block of sound that done right will whack you into next week. You'll be suprized with what you hear.

14. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

:laugh:

15. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

No, that wouldn't do it. You would need to cut out one half of your brain.

16. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

I have taken acting lessons, and before I took those lessons I would probably not have been able to come up with that kind of reply, so I can only conclude that I have some potential, based on your review.

17. Growl

Growl Member

I confirm. Listened to mono "Their Satanic Majesties Requests" on headphones last time, was very disturbed with my brain's sound.

18. camrock

camrock Active Member

It's part of a conspiracy to make you upgrade.

19. Jan

Jan New Member

So, have any brave souls out there tried listening through one speaker?

20. Runt

Runt Senior Member

I can't bring myself to stop staring at these beautiful little mini-LP sleeves and drooling...we're actually supposed to listen to 'em? :D

21. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

The mono sounds nice when sent to 7 channel stereo mode on my Klipsch speakers.

22. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

I have a 5.1 sound system in my car with Dolby Pro Logic II (plus Alpine amp and Infinity subwoofer.)

Can't wait 'till my Mono box arrives from Amazon (3-6 weeks). This will be fun!

23. titaniumman

titaniumman New Member

I find a little bit of hash and perhaps a glass of wine to be perfect.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

If they sound harsh I guess the wine will help the medicine go down.

25. zinger_ghretzel

zinger_ghretzel War Is Over, If You Want It.

I have both. Mono ans Stereo Remasters.

I agree, Mono remasters have the sound like The Beatles wanted. (The Beatles version)
    The sound is more compact, full, easy to listening, but the Stereo Remasters have a lot of more clarity on vocals, choirs, piano, flute, trumpet etc, etc,. I mean on Mono versions some instruments seems to be hidden.

Listening the Sereo Remasters you realise how genius were The Beatles, every detail on music is clear, brillant (not only on the 2009 remasters, this different is also present on 1987 mixes). Of curse 2009 Remasters sounds awesome.

Some times, Stereo versions are dificult for listening due to unappropriate stereo mix (Pan exaggerated or panning exaggerated, sorry for my english), this is because at the time engineers were unfamiliar doing stereo mixes,stereo sound was in his infancy. Original stereo master tapes have this panning.

So if you want to hear every datail on music get the Stereo Remasters and if you want to hear Beatles version, get the Mono Remasters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.