Beatles CD EP Collection Question (Again)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Russ, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob2935

bob2935 Active Member

I think the EP Box for those tracks sounds better because everything was a fresh tape transfer.
    Bob.

2. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

I got really lucky and found the UK and US versions for $12.95 at Buy.com back in late 99 or 2000. I was searching for odd beatles stuff and I couldn't believe what I saw. My girlfriend at the time thought it had to be a single disc "best of" but I saw no evidence of that and ordered one. I got a UK 15-CD set for 12.95 and kinda freaked (with thoughts of ebay).

I didn't have the money to buy many of those things but I bought a few and made some cash. My girlfriend on the other hand, had lots of money stashed and she bought a *****load of them things. Buy.com eventually realized what they were doing and priced 'em up to $112.95 (or something like that). I think she still has a large stash.

3. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Ask her if she gives a forum discount. :)

4. DavidF

DavidF Forum Resident

I finally got my EP and Singles sets. I posted a thread a while back saying that the guy wasn't sending them. It took over a month. Anyway, they arrived and I love the EP set. Probably the best sounding Beatles I ever heard. I had the Blue LP box in the 70s. This gives the same feeling. The 80s CDs were a disappointment. I burned all the EP box across 3 CDs, so I could keep my originals mint. I haven't heard the singles yet, but I can't wait. Can't believe this stuff is 40 years old!

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

When you burn your CD singles box to CDR (fits on 2 CDRs), you will want to use the EP box versions of Love Me Do, PS I Love, Please Please Me, Ask Me Why, and She Loves You. They sound horrid on the CD singles box. The rest of the CD singles box sounds great.

6. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Pretty well all of the tracks on the singles box which are duplicated on the EP box sound better to my ears on the EP box. Two examples: I Feel Fine sounds wonderful and is justification for having a mono mix for this song. Great bottom end. I Am The Walrus (mono mix) sounds definitive with John's voice cutting through searingly through the backing and instrumental overdubs.

7. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

IMO I feel fine sounds recessed in the middle on both with the single version being harsher and the EP version being bigger in the bottom end. I tend towards the single version as it cuts through a little more.

8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I re-listened and compared some of the early cuts common to both sets after writing my post. I found with some of the singles I actually preferred the Singles Box versions: Thank You Girl, I Want to Hold Your Hand and Things We Said Today. The other ones up to I Feel Fine I preferred the EP versions and I did write down on my I Feel Fine notes, "(prefer) EP but not by much."

Both sets are indispensable for a Beatles' fan and I was able to get both used for about $200 in total if I can remember.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.