Beatles Capitol Albums...Actually Pretty Good??!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by batdude98, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

One of the problems with being a Beatles fan on this site is that there is a lot of division. I've been trying to promote a kinder gentler Beatles thread. Some of you have contributed. but I'd love to see a lot more input.

What is the last Beatle related album you listened to?

fmfxray373 likes this.
  2. Fitter Stoke

Fitter Stoke You don't suspect my life's a mess...

‘Ringo’. And you know what - I REALLY enjoyed it. It’s undemanding, feel-good music that puts a smile on my face and believe me, not much else does these days. And given that all four members contribute to it (individually if not collectively), ‘Ringo’ is the nearest we’ve had to an all-new Beatles album since 1970. A super deluxe edition would be most welcome. Anyone?

3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Everyone except Ringo himself. Whenever it’s brought up he basically turns the other way.

JFSebastion likes this.
  4. Detroit Rock Citizen

That's great but post it on the link provided so we don't hijack this thread.

DK Pete likes this.
  5. Detroit Rock Citizen

6. Detroit Rock Citizen

fmfxray373 and chris8519 like this.
  7. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

Then senility sucks for all of us.

DK Pete likes this.
  8. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

Are those the UK mono mixes are the Dexterized mixes?

9. Detroit Rock Citizen

This is the Capitol Mono mix from the the Vol, 1 box. If I'm not mistaken they are fold downs except for the songs from the British single. Plus Dexter's usual shenanigans are there.

chris8519 likes this.
  10. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I've got that one.

In pretty much perfect shape except that I wrote my name in the rainbow part of the label to thwart evildoers in college.
    :doh:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
  11. john lennonist

"Plastic Ono Band"

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
  12. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

My first Beatle LP in 1964. Dealer wanted $250 for a VG+ copy at Sunday's record show.

apple-richard likes this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Rip off.

14. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I paid $75 for mine 15 years ago.

MrSka57 and DK Pete like this.
  15. GimiSomeTruth

GimiSomeTruth Forum Resident

Not if it was a stereo copy!

john lennonist and DK Pete like this.
  16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

To be honest I still think it’s a bit much. Although to be honest again, I know if I saw it in front of me and I could swing it at the moment ($$), I’d be very tempted.

17. GimiSomeTruth

$250 would be a steal for a clean stereo copy. Note that a cover alone recently sold for $100.

Gripsweat

18. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

There is this crazy thing about trying to sell sealed American Capitol OG Beatle LPs for big bucks.
    It is not like they are rare. I paid about $60 for a sealed A Hard Day's Night 1980s purple dome and that was too much. But it was my local record store guy so I gave him a little extra. The only time one should pay big bucks for a single Beatles LP is if it's like a rare MFSL (With The Beatles stand alone release or the stand alone Let It Be), the UHQR Pepper, and the UK White Vinyl (which I am coming to think is a bit overated). I guess an UK OG White Album mono or stereo in great shape.

The only Capitol LPs that is really expensive on the used market are the butcher cover Yesterday and Todays that are in good shape.

MrSka57 and DK Pete like this.
  19. GimiSomeTruth

Not quite. Copies of Meet! that don’t have publishers credits are very valuable (especially stereo, which can easily sell for over a grand) and a NM mono Magical Mystery Tour can easily bring $400.

For UK releases, there are plenty that sell for a lot of money beyond the White Album. Black and gold Please Please me stereo copies can sell for well into five figures.

20. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I found one in really good condition this past winter at an outdoor flea market in Baltimore. $35.00!

apple-richard and fmfxray373 like this.
  21. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

The last album I listened to last night was the White Album. I had taken a course on it by Joel Friedman. He covered the recording of the album, and what was happening in their lives, the recording techniques they used.

22. john lennonist

Songs Pictures and Stories of the Fabulous Beatles 1964 Vee Jay Records is pretty rare (the ones with the 3/4 flip cover).

That price doesn't surprise me. I'm pretty sure Perry Cox once valued it (I'm assuming in NM condition) at $1,200.

Pretty sure that mine's Stereo... don't know if that one's more valuable (or if there even was a Mono) in 3/4 flip cover.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    MrSka57, maui jim and DK Pete like this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Is that the one you were selling?

24. john lennonist

Yes, that's the one that I offered to you... have not offered it to anyone else so far.

DK Pete likes this.
  25. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

I got the 2009 mono CDs of Help! and Rubber Soul and now listen exclusively to the 1965 mixes, even though I listened to the 1987 mixes almost exclusively for about 25 years.

apple-richard and DK Pete like this.