Beatles Box Sets Price Watch

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dbacon, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

AHH! Thanks. Darn...now I gotta order that box set.

2. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Not true for all, Doug. My local distribution center is in Lexington KY... I get the 6% sales tax. :(

3. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I'm with you--I prefer jewel cases myself. But the mock-up's we've seen are all digipaks, and the press release mentions digipaks and THEN says the stereo box "collects" all the stereo releases.. so that's the conclusion to draw upon. What I hope doesn't happen is that when the first printing is over, and those mini-docs are removed from the discs (since they are only on early versions) is that the new stereo discs are jewel cases.. Because I'm not buying them all again. But they make a big deal out of this 'environmentally friendly' stuff and I don't see them only caring about the earth for one pressing.

That sucks. I live in Michigan and a lot of times when I track my order it comes out of Lexington and I've never once been charged tax.

4. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Gosh, I had no idea that many Amazon customers have to pay sales tax. I guess us Californian's should feel lucky. It's about time we got a break from high prices. Saving the sales tax is a big reason I buy so much from Amazon.

5. TheGregWitul

TheGregWitul Member

Yeah it's been this way in New York for about two years, if I recall correctly. I still use the site, usually when there is free 2 day shipping specials or to purchase from marketplace sellers, but I remember all of the local news stations carried the story when the switch from non-tax to tax came into effect. It kinda sucks, but I try not to purchase anything that is too expensive from the site directly. I'll stick with the marketplace to avoid the tax or just go to another site.

I might hold out for the stereo set to see what FYE has it going for at the store on the day of release. I could trade in some items for store credit and I have 10% for being a member of their savings program.

j.

6. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I ordered my boxes from Japan, where they take extra care with such things.

7. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

No sales tax here in MD either.

8. emkay

emkay Senior Member

This is MERE speculation, but I'd surmise the digipaks will disappear at some point in the future. They say that the early copies of the stereo CDs will contain mini-docs. That indicates later copies won't. If they're prepared to alter the contents of an already prepared CD mastering, I'd wager they're just as prepared to pare down the elaborate looking packaging. I don't KNOW that, but it's a fair assumption.

So you'll probably eventually see plastic jewel cases of some sort... but then you'll miss out on all they hysteria!:laugh:

9. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

I have decided I'm *probably* ordering most of the stereo CD's separately (skipping Magical Mystery Tour, Let It Be, Yellow Submarine, don't care about the DVD) and buying the mono box and selling all but Help! and Rubber Soul. I cannot justify spending $475 (including sales tax) on these. Why am I telling you this? Beats me.

10. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I read that other states - including California - were looking into passing a similar law to New York's, i.e. if the site has any marketplace sellers in that state, then it's considered they have a "presence" in that state and, as a result, have to charge sales tax.

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Definitley the way to go as long as a vinyl box set is not introduced some time after !

12. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I sure hope Arnold (governor) is not reading this post.:sigh:

13. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I'll bet the vinyl is announced and in the stores by Christmas.

14. IIRC there's a line item on California's individual tax return where people are supposed to put non-taxed online purchases so that taxes can be paid.

15. Imagine the Swan

Imagine the Swan Forum Resident

If you watch the amazon video "preview" it says "limited eco-friendly packages" or something to that effect. So that would lead one to believe that yes, these digi-packs are limited and after the initial run, they will continue in regular jewel cases in the future. It seems that they're offering tons of things to get people even more excited to get them the day they're issued, but once the hysteria dies down they'll just continue the releases in normal packaging. Hopefully they'll at least keep the same booklets. I pre-ordered my stereo box, but it seems like almost everything they're offering is "limited." Kinda sucks for the people who can't or don't get the cds for a while.

16. You guys motivated/frightened/excited me to the point where I just ordered the mono box from Amazon. Along with the e-mail confirmation, they sent a notice that I also get a whole $1.00 of free Amazon downloads! Oh Boy! Probably because I have an Amazon credit card...

17. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

That $1 promotion was what made me pull the trigger. How can you pass that up?

18. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

On your California state income tax form there is a box where you are supposed to declare the total value of your out of state purchases for that year. Yes, you will be hit up for the sales tax on any figure that you declare. If you declare "zero" and are ever audited all your purchases can be tracked back through your credit card companies. Just some food for thought during these times of fiscal crisis with states scrounging up every dollar that they can.

Places like Dell now collect sales tax from California customers. Sales tax collection on out of state sales is inevitable as the market place shifts further from brick and mortar to internet sales.

And to stay on topic I pre-ordered the Mono Box and Stereo Box from Amazon, about 447.00 total.

19. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Na, I don't have an Amazon card and also got the $1.00 credit.

20. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

If you can open a new Amazon card they give you $30 off your first purchase
    don`t call and activate it for a month and they will give even more

21. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Question about pre-orders from Amazon. Do they charge you right away or do they wait until the order ships?

22. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

they charge when it ships and they will give you the lower price if it drops between now and the shipping date

23. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

That (the price they quoted when you ordered) is the highest price that you can expect to pay. If the price goes down between now and release date, you'll pay the lower price.

24. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

That idea makes sense.....except the part about "..Skipping Magical Mystery Tour." Ya gotta have that one!

25. I'll be doing the same--

ordering the stereo CDs separately. I'll be working backwards with "Let It Be", "Abbey Road", "The Beatles", etc. but will skip "Rubber Soul" and "revolver" because I like the original mixes best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.