Beatles Box Sets Price Watch

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dbacon, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I think for CDs shipped to the US from the UK the value has to be pretty high to incurr duties... like $800 or something like that. In the UK its relatively low compared to the US.

2. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

David,

I'm sorry to hear that.

I won't say it will never happen to me or anyone else in my situation, but so far it never has.

3. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

It would have to be a very big CD order from Amazon UK for you to be charged duty.

4. Have the contents of the bonus DVD included with the stereo box set been posted anywhere?

5. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

You guys are scaring me. I am going to pre-order the mono box now!

6. Runt

Runt Senior Member

So...is the consensus that Best Buy will NOT be carrying the mono box or stereo box, either online or at the stores (the individual stereo titles are currently listed online, but no box sets...)?

7. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

No. No one has any idea about anything when it comes to retail availability. All there is is conjecture and speculation.

8. Tone

Tone Senior Member

The frist 10,000 Mono Box will be 'Individually NUMBERED', according to that Elusive Disc Ad. Reason enough to order now IMO. I did last night. I'll get the stereo later.

www.beatledrops.com

btw.......... When my "Box Comes In", I will post clips from all CDs on the Beatledrops site for Comparision to the Vinyl and 87 CDs. Link Above.

9. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member Thread Starter

This whole thing has me so nervous. My original plan was to go to Best Buy on 9/9 ( ...or at midnight on 9/8) and pick up both boxes on deep sale. Now, to be safe, I have pre-ordered the Mono box from Amazon. I'll take my chances the Stereo box.

10. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Yeah - this thread itself can be hysteria producing. Maybe we shouldn't act so hastily? Could this just be paranoia?

I just pre-ordered the mono box from elusive disc :)

11. Hmmm my guess - more 100% speculation, folks - is that the numbered mono sets will be limited to 10,000 copies but that unnumbered sets will follow. Again, just a guess. But it would be nice, I'd hate to see people wanting this set not able to get one due to limited supply.

12. Tone

Tone Senior Member

:righton: ......... That's the way I read it. So why not get a numbered set if you're going to spend this kind of money. Will definately have more value later.

13. I'm the opposite - if I knew this were true, I'd personally hold off as I bet the unnumbered sets will be cheaper (having a number stamped on the set doesn't do anything for me, and I'd never resell it anyways). But as I don't know if this will happen, I've placed my pre-order :D

14. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

That exactly how I read it too. The mono box will be a Limited Edition of (for example) 50,000 copies, 10,000 which will be numbered.
    Simple. No reason to get over excited.

15. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Looks like you'll have to live with a numbered set then. :D

Really though. If you're going to pay about the same price (give or take 20 bucks), why not have the numbered set. No biggie, but it will be a more valuable set.

16. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

it's pretty stupid to number things that AREN'T limited though that's probably what they're doing. giving a unique identifier to items that are otherwise identical and in endless supply ... I guess they did that with the white album as well.

17. Tone

Tone Senior Member

It is somewhat dubious, but is a common practice with prints and other artworks.

And numbered White Albums are now more valuable than non numbered ones. Especially the low numbers. Which brings up another question. Does ordering early insure a low number? I doubt it.

18. Inscape

Inscape New Member

The statements on the Elusive Disc web site do not provide much wiggle room:

https://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EMICDB99451
    "Numbered & Limited to 10,000 copies in the U.S.! "

And further down the page:
    "Limited to 10,000 copies in the U.S."

It does seem reasonable to assume that this run of 10,000 numbered copies will not be the final run. But this has not been made absolutely clear.

It will be interesting to see whether numbered sets are made available outside the US. So far, the listings in the UK and Japan have not said anything about numbering.

Certainly, at this point, there is no reason for anyone to get particularly excited about this--let alone overexcited. But it is interesting to see that Apple/EMI have been slow to provide a clear and unequivocal indication of whether or not the mono box will be limited to a specific number. The atmosphere of uncertainty encourages preorders, and this is good for business.

19. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

OK, I've preordered my mono box from Amazon. I see it's the number 12 seller there right now. I wonder how many they'll get? Think I'll wait a bit on the stereo box.

20. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I pre-ordered my mono box from Amazon last night. Better to be safe than sorry.

(Of course I have two months to save up the cash!)

21. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Pure speculation on my part: I do think that the mono box will be "limited" in some way - certainly not to the quantity being mentioned - but in how long it will be available. Once the furor around these releases dies down & the Holiday season is past, it would not surprise me to see the mono box discontinued.

In fact, I expect the sales of the mono box to drop off rather quickly after the September release. The people who want this set want it immediately. The stereo box will be more of a Holiday item than the mono.

Technically, even the individual stereo CDs are "limited" if I understand correctly. The QuickTime videos are not a permanent inclusion. They will eventually be removed, leaving just the original albums' contents (just as they are offered now). What is not known is if the packaging on them will change.

Having a numbered set would be nice...but speaking as one who somehow got a un-numbered Bee Gees set, I wouldn't be crushed. I care more about the contents. How much value does a number add really...especially once you get past a certain point?

I wonder how many people are ordering multiple copies...or ordering from multiple suppliers in hopes of making a killing? I am not a fan of this practice & hope that EMI authorizes plenty of mono sets to keep this from happening. The Beatles catalog should not be equated with "Tickle Me Elmo" or the various other "planned shortages" we have seen over the years from other industries where people have actually died trying to get a particular new product. (Wii...Playstation...etc.) That would be a helluva legacy for the group & for EMI!

Dexter

22. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Newburycomics.com has the mono box listed for 298.00

23. ddhd

ddhd Forum Resident

I just would like to thank everyone for helping spend my money - just pre-ordered through Amazon.

24. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

The "numbered" thing is obviously a marketing strategy to encourage preorders among the diehards who'll want a numbered set or are panicked into thinking that this is all there will be.

Thus far, there has been no indication, outside of the USA, that the mono box is a numbered/limited edition. It would be good to have some coherent statement as to availability which hasn't happened, it's confusing. I suspect that this is all part of the strategy. To have different specs. re numbers available for the USA and retailers elsewhere is ambiguous and doesn't inspire confidence.....we need to know exactly what the situation is.

25. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

If you don't plan on selling it one day, then who cares how valuable it is?

And you'd lose. When does that ever happen?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.