Beatles Box Sets Price Watch (Part 8)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Wong, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheiPodAvenger

TheiPodAvenger Forum Resident

They did mark it down to $130 right after the iTunes rollout. That's when I got mine.

2. Sloop Jon

Sloop Jon New Member

I have to say, I did a double take on the title of this thread (hundreds of posts on the price of a box set?!), but here I am.

I considered waiting for Memorial Day, when Best Buy will likely have a 10% coupon. I decided that I'd regret it if they sold out by then, and $100 seems like a fair price. Thanks for the tip.

3. FYI- You'll have 30 days to return it, so keep it sealed & hold on to your receipt. If it's nearby & gas costs aren't a consideration...then if it's still on sale on Memorial Day (which is pretty questionable), then you can simply return the box set, & re-buy it with the 10% off coupon.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I bought my Mono box for nearly list, but I found a cooler on the curb with a bunch of silver coins and other stuff that nearly covered the entire box...money well spent indeed...:)

5. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Not yet. I´ll believe it when I see it. :)

6. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

Paid $70 or so for my Mono box last year from Amazon.ca

7. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

8. theflicker

theflicker Member

9. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I almost pulled the trigger on this last night at Best Buy. They had 3 of them. I picked the nicest one as walked around the store for 10 minutes. I just can't bring myself to buy any more Beatles. As cool as it is, I think I'd rather save for a clavinet. I may stop off again and see what happens. But it just doesn't feel right to pay even $99 for songs I already have, just because they're on cd.

10. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Still available at BB!

11. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

All of the Best Buys in my area have some. Too bad I got mine for what I thought was a steal $179 last year, when I was worried it really was a limited edition.

12. celtic1

celtic1 New Member

This is all more proof that CDs are on the way out, maybe sooner than we all thought.

13. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Don't feel too bad Michael. I bought two as a pre-order from Amazon at like $229.99 and felt like I had a good deal at the time.

:wave:

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, we were fools on the hill.:D

but, hey I did OK after all...

15. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

My BB had 3....same 3 that have been there forever. All damaged by spider clips.

16. nmycon

nmycon Member

what the heck is going on with the Mono box?

I got it last christmas and I remember it being $200 at HMV (in Canada) in November. By mid-december, it had dropped to $160 (I was surprised it dropped at Christmas).

I checked last week and it was $230, now it's $290 on HMV's website and only 11 stores have it in stock across Canada (10 stores have 1 copy, 1 store in Vancouver has 2)... what gives?

I know it was announced that the "limit" of the Mono box would be extended, but I didn't buy it. I thought that was their way of saying it wasn't really limited in the first place Perhaps copies are running out? I still doubt it...

17. smarone313

smarone313 Forum Resident

pulled the trigger today at a local best buy...no indication it was on sale in the racks, but rang up at 99.99....Although I have long desired to own it, I hemmed and hawed over buying it...thanks to this forum, I finally broke down. I am convinced that the sale price on this is the cd version of the rapture....our hobby of buying physical media is nearly over....this may be the very last shot to own at a reasonable price

18. Best Buy is clearly dumping music stock that take up too much room. They have tons of items drastically marked down, like the huge Tom Petty Live Anthology Blu-ray/Vinyl box for $29.99.

19. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

I think what probably happened is they underestimated the initial run, but overestimated the subsequent run, and at his point, it's just not a big mover, (especially at the $299 that BB had it priced).

I think most people want the Stereo box, hence its higher and more stable price. Those who really wanted a Mono box got one early. Now, they are probably just trying to clear out a lot of old stock as they continue to pare back their music section. Also, the proliferation of cheap Chinese boxes took some market share and devalued the item overall. I wonder how many people got a fake box off an eBay or Amazon seller and just don't know or care. :shake:

20. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Picked up a mono box today in local Best Buy for $99. Sticker on box said $219. They had at least 3 more copies on the shelves.

Man, the packaging is beautiful and I love the sound. At this price, I might go back and get another one for my sister.

21. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

I bought the stereo ones just before I began to realize mono was something other than a stereo fold down. Now I prefer mono, but with so many fakes out there, I've been real leery to try and buy one online.

I had no idea they were still at retail. I'm hitting some BBs tomorrow then! Thanks for posting!

22. I was in the Sound Garden record store in Syracuse the other day. They have a huge selection of CD's and good prices, so I thought I'd see what they were asking for the Beatles mono box. $199.00!! :eek:

23. Zoo Station

Zoo Station Senior Member

I just bought one from the Best Buy site for $99. OH YEAH!

24. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

$229.00 at Vintage Vinyl Records in New Jersey.

25. MRT

MRT Forum Resident

thankfully a forum member pm'd me that this was the case. what the hell is with that other listing that has it at 5-700 bucks? :confused: that was the only one i saw when i posted the other week. i see it at $99 and supposedly many local stores have it in stock.

im going hunting this week. wish me luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.