Beatles Box Sets Price Watch (Part 7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dabl

dabl Senior Member

Please don't, this is a price watch thread.

2. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

Give us some more info...

Where did you get it?
    Stereo box sets are easier to tell if counterfeit then Mono.
    First thing, while its sealed, check to see if the FBI warning is by the UPC code.

3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I finally bit and bought the mono today from amazon.com for $179.00. It is actually being sent by a secondary vendor though they are listed as an amazon fulfillment provider. Hopefully it is legit. pieceofmindmedia is the vendor. Anyone heard of them?

4. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Here's a photo of the ebay box I bought. Do you have a photo of the FBI warning?

I will say that the corners of the box are beat up a little.

Attached Files:

5. Doug Schiller

I hate to say, I am seeing plenty of red flags.
    First, only 1 feedback and its 66%?
    No returns accepted
    Doesn't mention that its authentic.
    Selling multiple copies of the box set starting at $50.
    Bad comment was that he didn't accept payment and just relisted item (i.e. he is playing games)
    I'm afraid you won yourself a counterfeit set.
    Here is a picture of the comparison of the real and fake... (notice the FBI missing next to the UPC)
    [​IMG]
    If you don't think he has shipped it out yet, send him an email through ebay asking him to verify that it is authentic.
    I mentioned a couple of times, "I know there have been lots of counterfeit sets, please verify this isn't one. If it is, don't bother shipping", etc.
    It has buyer protection but you will have to wait as the guy no doubt will ignore your emails.
    Good luck and keep us up to date.
    The same thing happened to me except the guy took my money but never bothered to ship anything.
    Here is a thread that discusses other things to look for...
    http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Trust-Safety-Safe/Counterfeit-Beatles-Remastered/520175666&start=0

6. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Great advice, Doug. But you've got me wondering: just before everyone chucks them in the bin, wouldn't boxes bought in Europe or other regions outside the US also be missing the FBI warning?! (I haven't bought one yet.)

7. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

This thread (by doing a search on this forum for Beatles Box Fake in the title) discusses the signs how to spot if a box is fake: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=204005

And yes, boxes produced in Europe do not have the FBI warning. But for a seller located in Texas, I'd be very surprised if he got a European box and then sell it for cheap. Multiple times.

8. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Wonder if the USB is still in stock...

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I'm waiting for the final BS price purchase. Probably something to the effect of...I was given the box set for free and the store also gave me a $20.00 store credit.

10. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

It says: Printed in the EU.

A lot of times people steal these things out of a storage area and sell them cheap. What has me puzzled is that it's sealed, I have it in my hands right now.

11. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I guess I have to open this to check it out....

12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'd like to know that as well. I've got a feeling they're gone.

13. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Have the USB's been counterfeited yet?

14. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

I compared the new Abbey Road CD to the original UK LP and there's just no comparison.

15. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I just got my mono from amazon and it is legit. It is a lovely box set. Now I just have to eat peanut butter and jelly for all three meals for the next three months or so.

16. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

How so? Ve vant details!

Larry Mc- My friend's fake box set was sealed too, as was my mono fake box set. You'll know if it's a fake within seconds of opening. Good luck!

17. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

It's a fake, has all the above mentioned errors, miss spelled names and red ribbon.

Now I will call my credit card company. Bummer

Thanks to everyone who posted the red flag warnings.

18. Doug Schiller

Just follow the protocol.
    Contact seller and tell them.
    The complaint with ebay is, "not as described".
    It might take awhile but you will get your money back.
    I also mention contacting the RIAA.

19. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I did just that. Thanks for the help Doug...:thumbsup:

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sorry to say, but we all knew it was fake before you opened it. If it'd been from a guy with one open copy for sale, then it had a shot at being real.

But a guy selling bunches of them for as little as $50? Zero percent chance it was real... :(

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Here's some helpful advice:

If you want to buy the box and you're not willing to pay over $100, stop looking. With possibly a very rare exception here or there, all the < $100 copies are fake. Expect to pay about $120-140, minimum, for a legit box (and that's if you get very lucky and catch a big sale).

If the seller has multiples and they are not named Amazon or CDUniverse or ImportCDs or <insert well known name here>, then they're probably fake, no matter what the price.

Trying your luck outside of these rules is mostly just going to result in a major waste of your time.

And if you're even thinking that maybe a counterfeit is worth the savings, keep in mind these things are about $20/each or less FOB China, and they are available in almost infinite quantities. There's no market for them (outside of fraudulent sales of counterfeits), they are of questionable quality, and no royalties go to the artists. In other words, if you are even considering buying a counterfeit, do yourself a favor and just copy the real thing yourself--cutting out the crooks in the middle and probably getting a better quality product in the end. (I don't endorse this; I say buy the real stuff).

22. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

You know I got lucky really. It was up for bid and I had my high bid at $150.00. I thought it was worth a shot, but when I got it for $84.00, I decided to post in here and see.

With Colin's post, I appreciate what you are saying about it being a fake, deep inside I think I knew you were right.

In the past I've bought DCC gold cds at a good price though auctions and thought I would try my luck with this box set.

I may have got lucky, my credit card says he hasn't charged it yet so I blocked payment.

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Deep inside, you know I'm ALWAYS right! :D

Sure, you can score good prices at auctions, but the difference is that the market was never overwhelmed with cheap DCCs. Like I said, if this'd been some guy who had one copy, maybe it's legit. But masses of them, all sealed? That stinks all the way to China!

24. This is a top rated seller but it has to be a bootleg. People are buying it at $89 and with Bing.com cashback, it is about $82 delivered. I expect a bunch of negative feedback and a loss of his top rated seller standing. I have sent an email but I either won't get a response or it will be sold it before I do, either way I am not going to bite.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180532742929&fromMakeTrack=true

Chris

25. Doug Schiller

The problem is, most of these fakes are so convincing that people getting them don't know they got duped and think they got a great deal.
    Look at the seller's feedback, I bet you will see plenty of Beatles box set feedback that praise the seller for a great deal and fast shipping.
    When they put in Abbey Road in the CD player, Abbey Road starts to play.
    ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.