Beatles Box Sets Price Watch (Part 7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

2. pbda

pbda Forum Resident

I'm waiting for the Stereo Box to drop below $100 (for a sealed copy).

Then I'll bite.

3. floyd

floyd Senior Member

that would be pretty cheep cosidering it is 16 discs that is $6.25 a disc. Of course Amazon had it at that price for about 3 minutes.

I am just two discs short of having all the stereos by shopping at discorama.com most I paid 7.99 a few at 8.99. I already had the two doubles that I picked up at Best buy when they were $12.99 each title. So even with those kind of prices I am still paying way over $100.

4. I'd keep an eye on ebay, half.com, amazon, etc. AFTER Christmas...my bet is lots of duplicates given out, and kids just burning them to ipods, etc.. So there may be some sealed, but me thinks lots of cheap barely used copies will be floating around by them...that's how I plan on getting the one that I'm going to use as a birthday present this next year for a dear old friend who is totally broke right now.
    I don't know if they will ever go as cheap as $100 sealed, unless it's a sale or a counterfeit, but I do think prices will get lower & lower after the holidays on both the Stereo & Mono Box Sets.

5. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

The box set contains 13 actual discs, and at Best Buy's original price of $240, that equates to $18.46 per disc. Certainly not unreasonable - and the set is limited (to what amount who knows at this point). Plus Help and Rubber Soul actually contain the original stereo mixes as bonuses, in effect giving you additional versions of those albums for free.

You might not think the musical content is worth that price, but I don't think the pricing is out of line for what it is, and the quality and craft that went in to making the box set is exceptional. It's beautiful, much moreso than the stereo box and the individual releases.

And if you go online and buy new copies of any non-Beatles Japanese mini-lp reproductions, you'll likely pay at least the $18 price per disc. However, if the mono discs were released individually, and in the same packaging as the stereo cd's, I'd expect to pay in the $10-12 range for them as well.

6. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Today, Costco, Langley, BC.

Stereo: $186.99 CDN, didn't count, at least a dozen copies
    Mono: $224.99 CDN, 6 copies

7. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Mono box - Future Shop (Canada) - $194.99 + in Ontario with taxes added, total price = $220.34.

8. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I hope you're right. I was lucky to get the Stereo box for $100, but I now want the Mono box too. Would love to see a used one in great shape for $100.

9. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

:laughup::crazy:Good luck with that. I saw a few used ones for $200.00:shake:

10. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

I purchased mine from there. Good price and great box set. Worth every penny. That 25% sale came in handy for the Mono Box Set.

11. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Im strapped for cash, but am dying to get the remasters.
    So my question is, what would I be missing if I bought them individually instead of the box? Is there anything unique to the box that the indivdual CD's dont have?...

12. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Hruumm.... who's that in your avatar?

13. sgb

sgb Senior Member

The DVD of the various videos (although they ARE on each of the CDs individually); the box and slipcase.

14. music4life

music4life Senior Member

OK Thanks!

15. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Mono box is now $200 at Amazon.

16. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Do yourself a favor and get the mono box.

You can pick up any individual stereo releases you want over the next couple years, but you have to act now to get the mono box at a reasonable price.

17. sgb

sgb Senior Member

As noted earlier in this thread, prices will probably be dropping like a rock after Christmas.

18. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

that's a damn good price...all that mono panic and drama when it was new and limited and now its seemingly readily available and for a good price...

19. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Best Buy charged $179.99 the day it came out. Where does $240 come from?

20. docwebb

docwebb Senior Member

I doubt the mono box was 179 bucks at Best Buy.

21. If I recall the Stereo Box Set was maybe $179.99, but the Mono I think was $229.99 at Best Buy on 9/9/09.

22. bogrod

bogrod Forum Resident

Someone posted on the mono box item forum @ Amazon that the mono box was listed as "Discontinued by the manufacturer" for what ended up being a 24 hour period. I am wondering if they're nearing the end of their stock.

23. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Forum Resident

Amazon also has a promotion where you can get 5% back by setting up and using a "payphrase" at the checkout. (this is for any purchase, but is especially helpful with the boxed set.)

24. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I misread. I thought he was talking about the stereo box.

The mono box was actually $229 on release day. Not $240.

25. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

My mistake - I was off $10. I checked my receipt, and the mono box was $229.99 on the day it came out. So updating the math, that's 230/13 = $17.69 per disc, for the import lp reproduction cds.

The point of my "argument" with Doug Schiller was that that isn't a bad price at all for what is contained within the box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.