Beatles box set coming Nov. 16

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gerry Galipault, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...still not listed at:
    Sam Goody
    Media Play
    Suncoast
    F.Y.E
    Walmart
    DDD
    B & N

2. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I don't think this specific info has been posted yet, as I didn't see it in skimming through most of this thread. I have the official retail sell-sheet in front of me and it has the following info on it:

- Compiled from the original stereo and mono master tapes, using custom valve playback electronics and 24-bit digital conversion.

- Many songs available for the first time in True Stereo.

- Special 60-page booklet written by famed BEatles Historian, Mark Lewison.

- Premium long-box package features 2 boxes joined by a crease hinge encased by an O-Card (1 box contains the CDs, the other contains the hardback book).

3. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

I guess they aren't going to hype those "unique duophonic mixes" :D ... just like the first time around :) ...

4. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Maybe, they will not use the fake stereo mixes, but use Dexter Mono mixes instead for those tracks....

5. RetroSmith

You know, it just occured to me......

They are selling this as "The Capitol Albums".

So, if a song appeared in fake stereo on one Capitol Lp, but appeared in TRUE stereo on a LATER Capitol Lp, or 45, they could use that and still be faithfull to the marketing concept.

So, they could use a master from the 1980s Era Capitol Lp Reissues, right? it would still be "Capitol".

So maybe we WONT get any duphonic mixes......please God!!

6. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Member

This sounds interesting. If nothing else, it looks like they are using the right kind of tape machines.

7. RetroSmith

yea, I'm thinking I'm gonna buy this now....

8. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I have a feeling we'll only be getting true stereo - that's what I inferred from the marketing thus far.

JEFF!

9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

We are up to 284 post on this set, and it hasn't even been seen yet. Imagine what will happen when this sucker is in our hands! Watch that bandwidth, -=Rudy=-!!! :D

10. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Hope you are right ... but Spitzer ... who should know ... mentioned "7 unique duophonic mixes" ... I don't think that is a new euphemism for "true stereo" :) ...

11. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

Speaking of A Hard Day's Night and Help, is there really a need for the US version of these to come out? I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep if I didn't get the duophonic Ticket To Ride on CD.

The original UA LP used the British mono mixes which we already have on CD (albeit lousy sounding). As for Help!, it has the James Bond opening which is missing on the UK and the duophonic Ticket to Ride. George Martin's score, while lovely, it's hardly essential.

12. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

- "Custom valve playback electronics" sounds like it could be good or bad....the real bugaboo will be whether it has noise reduction and compression.

- Many songs in true stereo for the first time? The sales sheet is flat-out wrong there. The songs (except a handful) have been available in true stereo since the beginning.....They've been in stereo on (bootleg) cd for at least a decade.

- A booklet...cool....maybe he explains whether the tapes used are the "true" Capitol masters. Capitol tape lineages can be tricky, esp. for the Beatles and Sinatra (do a search).

- Packaging...sounds interesting....hopefully a jpg will start floating around soon.

13. RetroSmith

Ryan, being on a bootleg doesnt count as "released".

It never has.

14. Michael

...I was hoping for mini LP's :rolleyes:I wonder if they'll release them separately after the box?

15. Ryan

I know, I know, :) but the statement still stands..."many" of the songs have been available in true stereo since 1964.

16. Michael

Sure it is...It's a Movie Soundtrack! Essential...It flows so perfectly.:)

17. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

Just imagine what the thread(s) would look like if these were UK remasters being released!

18. Ryan

The mother of all threads :)

19. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Remember, the instrumental music on the HELP! soundtrack was by Ken Thorne, not George Martin.

20. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Well, to remain consistent, and milk the boomers for every possible cent, yeah it's necessary. This is after all the way we originally heard them, soundtracks complete with incidental filler music. Remember, this is to ride the wave of nostalgia, and I'm betting to soothe the ruffled feathers of the masses who probably feel somewhat shunned after being subjected to:

Anthology (outtakes and edits, few "real" songs)
    Live At The BBC ("not like what I heard on the radio when I was a kid")
    "Yellow Submarine Songtrack" and "1" which are basically greatest hits packages
    "Let It Be.. Naked" which (along with having a gawd-awful title) took our precious fabs last album and deconstructed it.

I think this series is aimed squarely at Mr & Mrs Boomer North America with the intent of bringing them back into the fold with nice clean CD versions of those old scratched up LPs. LPs that represent the most feel-good sounds and times they've probably ever experienced. And if they can rekindle Beatlemania even in a small way, why not keep to form and release every American album exactly as it was originally offered 40 years ago?

21. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

22. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

IIRC, the UA LP has the unique single track vocal mixes whereas the UK mono LP has the double-tracked vocal mixes.

23. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Something New (mono) also has the unique single tracked "And I Love Her" :)

24. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

Wow, I didn't expect a German release...
    I thought I'd pass on this one. But after reading the track listing I think I can't resist...

Martin

25. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

However, I'll Get You and She Loves You on Second Album are listed as stereo as well as mono. Hello, duophonic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.