Audioquest DragonFly DAC and headphones amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HiFiGuy528, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

Also grabbed one on sale for $99.

It's an incredible value at that price point. Great sound -- I find it comparable to a previously owned HRT Music Streamer II (which required an amp) -- and the thing is built like a tank.

2. FYI, just got this email from Audio Advisor:

3. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

I just got mine today. I also received the email from Audio Advisor, but I am sticking to this version.

4. bliss53

bliss53 Forum Resident

In an effort to use my Audioquest DragonFly 1.2 with an iPhone 5s and a iPad Mini Retina, I purchased an Apple Lightening Camera Connector Kit "CCK" (Apple Part No. MD821ZM/A) and a $20 portable Radio Shack usb hub (Part No. 2603763). With the Dragonfly connected to the CCK then to the iPhone I got the "device requires too much power message" on the iPhone and no sound. When I put the hub between the CCK and the Dragonfly there was no message and it worked fine. Same for the iPad Mini.

There must be some monitoring feedback information that blocked by the insertion of the hub in the connection. Hope this is helpful.

5. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

What is the highest bitrate that will play from those devices? Can you load say a 26/96 flac and use an app to play it? I really hope future idevices will enable higher res but sadly I don't think they'll offer something most people don't even know about.

6. bliss53

bliss53 Forum Resident

The Dragonfly 1.2 goes up to 24/96. There a few iPhone apps out there that play FLAC files. I use Can Opener which can go out to 24/192. It also can add the crosstalk that you hear from speaker in a room to your headphones. Equalization can be adjusted if desired. I kind of like it.

7. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

The Dragonfly works with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, provided you have a USB OTG cable, the USB Audio Player app and downloaded the newest version of Android. All that said, the large size of the phone and all the cables doesn't make it a great portable option.

The Note 3's stock DAC/volume output through the headphone jack is awful, IMO.

I'm probably going back to the iPhone next month. From what I've read, the iPhone 5s headphone out is so good, an external amp really isn't necessary. Can't speak for the DAC in the 5s though.

8. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I too use that program but just with my mp3s thus far. I really wish that program would work with streaming services. I guess I need to get the CCK and a powered USB hub. Does the dragonfly confirm the higher bitrates with color changes? I wish it didn't need the hub as this would make it the ultimate portable hi-rez solution for us budget-minded folks, maybe there's a battery powered USB hub?

9. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.