Audioquest DragonFly DAC and headphones amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HiFiGuy528, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

How worried are you guys about how easy it might be to lose one of these itty bitty things?

2. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

Yup. Very afraid.

3. There's always the element of operator error! :laugh:

4. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX Thread Starter

I don't understand the delay on the DragonTail. It's just a cable. Audioquest makes cables as their primary business.

5. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Not too worried; I still have the jump/thumb drives I bought some years back. I only use it with my laptop, and mine goes into the mouse compartment of my laptop case whenever it's not in use.

6. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Picked it up today, as a impulse buy, while I was at my local audio dealer Audio Alternative getting some cables. Haven't had a chance to listen to it but it sure seems cute.

7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I love those impulse buys. These days, there is not much an experienced audiophile can impulse buy (I figure the ceiling is around $300).

8. HiFiGuy528

It's a good impulse buy IMO.

9. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Another great review, in Stereophile this time.

10. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

I bought one last week from Crutchfield and had it in my hands in less than 48 hours. So far, I'm loving it. I haven't tried it with headphones yet but the output from the computer sounds wonderful.

11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

They are not known for their intelligence or in-depth reviews.

12. HiFiGuy528

I think TONEAudio is working on a review too. I can't wait to read it.

13. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Listening to it, excellent value, i'm driving a pair of Audeze LCD2's. I was able to directly compare it to my Benchmark USB DAC. While not a fair comparison with the Benchmark costing 5 times the price, it's not shamed either. A bit more closed in and less extended. It's definitely not a harsh sounding unit.

14. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Did you plug the LCD-2 directly in the DragonFly or did you run the DragonFly to an external headphone amp?

The LCD-2 is efficient enough that it can be driven direct from an iPod and similar portable or USB powered sources. But it will be limited in volume, sound more closed and less spacious, and less dynamic. But it can be done and actually sound OK.

The Benchmark has a much better amp in it than you'll find in anything USB powered, and better than most home (mains powered) DAC/headphone combos.

15. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

16. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

17. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

I find it interesting that there is already a revised version of the unit. The original Dragonfly produced more distortion at max volume and this was corrected in the current version which reduced the volume steps to 60 from the original 64.

I wonder how one can tell which version is which. May have to email Audioquest to find out...

18. HiFiGuy528

Well I want the new one now.

19. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

My use for this thing would be what seems to be intended--portable headphone amp to drive stuff like Senn HD25 or AT M50 or Beyer DT770. Anyone use it in such a context?

20. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

I can't remember exactly the way he put it. I thought he said the Dragonfly was equal to (or better than?) his $900 reference DAC. But the Halide HD was better than the Dragonfly.

But unless my eyes skipped over something, he did not review the headphone performance. Which would be a prime reason for many buying it, IMO. Odd, that.

I can't quite wrap my head around paying $250 for something that dinky (and fragile-looking) just yet. Still keeping it open as an option, though.

21. HiFiGuy528

When the volume is all the way down on my Mac i can still hear the music coming through. Is it just mine? Can someone here try this out?

22. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Tom, exactly my experience comparing my DF to my Schiit Bifrost and Wadia 121. The DF is excellent for what it is, but it cannot compare in an absolute sense to the Bifrost and Wadia, which have much more open, airy, and fuller sound.

That being said, the Dragonfly is very tuneful and enjoyable to listen to. I use mine at work or at the local cafe with a pair of Shure SE535s IEMs. It makes for a sweet portable high-end setup. An incredible bargain for the price.

23. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Same here. You have to mute it for total silence.

jamjam67 likes this.
  24. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep

Will I get a negative impact from using a 9 ft Blue Jeans Cable MSA-1 Miniature Stereo Audio Cable? Is 9 ft long enough to worsen audio quality? I need to run my computer's audio-output to my Marantz integrated amp.

Also, what's the walkthrough for setup on a Windows 7 PC? Do I have to configure my PC for WASAPI output?

I'm torn between this, the HRT Streamer II, and the Audioengine D1. A benefit of the these is that I won't have to purchase the 9 ft cable. Has anyone done a direct comparison amongst these?

25. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep

Anyone know how to differentiate the newer, updated Dragonfly vs. the original from just the outside box alone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.