Audioquest DragonFly DAC and headphones amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HiFiGuy528, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRimeOfIcarus

TheRimeOfIcarus Active Member

Man this would be perfect for work! However the pricing looks very unattractive.

2. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX Thread Starter

I agree, price is a bit high. Perhaps $189 would be a sweet spot.

3. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

Very unattractive? Take a look at the prices for other DACs designed by Gordon Rankin and the price of other DACs with Sabre chips. Considering what is being offered here, I think this is a fabulous price.

4. TheRimeOfIcarus

I'd rather pay for engineering, not marketing and brand names.

http://www.msbtech.com/support/What_about_32_bit_DACs.php

5. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

OK, so MSB Tech doesn't favor the Sabre chips (and thus have a vested interest in telling you what they don't like about them), and maybe you don't like their sound signature. But this is a chip that has been successfully implemented in a number of highly reviewed DACs (by both mags and users). These rave reviews can't all be due to fascination with marketing and brand names. Sabre chips when well implemented have a sound signature that a lot of people like.

And you'd rather pay for engineering? Who wouldn't? But my point about Grodan Rankin is exactly that the designer of the DAC has impecable engineering credentials. If you'd told me I could have a Gordan Rankin tip-to-tail designed DAC (as opposed to a DAC that just uses his async USB implementation) for only $250, prior to the announcement of the Dragonfly I would have laughed in your face. The dude has put out some killer DACs (thinking of the Wavelength DACs in particular).

Anyway, as always it is best to form opinions based on actual listening. I have heard the Dragonfly and walked away mighty impressed (in all likelihood it will be my next audio gear purchase). And it is being sold by Music Direct, which has a 30 day return policy, so you too can check it out and only be out the cost of shipping if you don't like it.

6. He also designed (or at the very least, helped to design) the acclaimed Ayre QB-9.

7. TheRimeOfIcarus

The size of the Dragonfly is what interests me most but for the specs it shouldn't cost that much in my opinion.

8. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

You can't make an evaluation of what something should cost simply on the basis of specs.

Just for your information, there are over 100 component devices inside the Dragonfly as well as the Streamlength asynch USB code. Part of the cost of the product is the licensing of this technology from Gordon Rankin, and trust me, it is well worth it.

9. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Eric, I agree with you; I was only reporting what was in the AQ instructions for the product.

10. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

11. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

+1! Excellent post, Rosco! :righton:

12. Very weird that this happened. I think AQ should be alerted to this mistake.

13. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

It certainly is way more convenient to use the volume control on the computer.

14. Sumflow

Sumflow New Member

[​IMG]
    I don't know how I ended up back here, but a trusted friend of mine a Dragonfly owner, asked them for clarification twice and here's what they said.
    This is why I always want to have it conformed with the designer because the advertising types who flunked engineering don't have a clue what they are talking about. They said they recommended adjusting the volume in iTunes. Which is what they believe and is how they are going to sell the product to the uninformed public. But Gordon has told us:
    Clearly the Halide was not made with the computer user in mind, but the Dragonfly is. In fact I am not sure what kind of user Halide had in mind back in those days. For sure Gordon suggested, and they rejected, the no-bit loss volume controls. What were they thinking?

15. HiFiGuy528

Good info. Thanks!

16. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Got the DragonFly yesterday. Very impressed with it so far. It drives my K550 with ease and authority. Don't get fooled by its size. This munchkin of a DAC is an overachiever.

17. HiFiGuy528

I want the DragonTail really bad.

18. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

Isn't the performance of this going to vary with the power supply of the PC used? I always consider the power supply part of the equation in any audio gear. So unless this thing has infinite power supply rejection ratio, then it will sound different with each computer, according to the characteristics of its power supply. No?

19. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I suspect the (?) 5v on a computer supply is pretty 'stiff'

There's more than that to worry about: http://www.audiostream.com/content/synergistic-research-tranquility-base

20. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

There are audiophile USB power supplies available. I have never tried one. I would suspect there could be compatibility issues with some USB devices and drivers that play games and tricks with the USB power. One example of such a power supply is by aqvox.

21. HiFiGuy528

On my 11" MacBook Air, the Left USB input is a dedicated port not shared. The Right is shared with screen, keyboard, camera, etc.

22. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

I dropped in Best Buy last night to pick up the new Bob Marley documentary on Blu-ray and I had a few extra minutes so I dropped in the Magnolia home theater section and I was shocked to find the Dragonfly in stock. If I brought in my laptop do you think they would let me try it out?

23. I don't see why not. Which Best Buy in the 'Lou carries it? I might just have to pay a visit with my laptop as well!

24. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

I carry mine with me at all times in my laptop case...it's great with both my Senns or my Etymotics! I use Decibel with it and just throw compilations together on the fly.

25. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

Brentwood. They had 2 In Stock last night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.