AudioPhiles don't want NEUTRAL, Audiophiles Don't like NEUTRAL (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mark, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Definitely the funniest post of the thread... Great that you have been so open minded.

2. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

This is a blanket, generalized statement that you couldn't possibly know to be true.

Of course. Any viewpoints which don't conform to your elitist, self-righteous opinions ought to be dismissed.

You could if you wanted to.

They only go off the rails when the individual in question starts engaging in logical fallacies and fabrications. Which many people on this thread have been proven to do.

If we were to summarize your views on audio all in one thread, it would read as an unprecedented dissertation on how to engage in ad hominems, strawmans, overgeneralizations, deflections, personal attacks, black and white thinking, fabrications, believing your opinion to be factual, and believing that you know everything about everybody.

3. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Don't feed was the advice.

AudioPhiles don't want ADVICE, Audiophiles Don't like ADVICE (Part Two)

4. Kustom 250

Kustom 250 Active Member

Just wait a post and it gets better.

5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"It's been done"

4. Mêng / Youthful Folly:

http://deoxy.org/iching/4

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"That's metaphysically absurd—how can I know what you hear?"

:thumbsup:

7. keoki82

keoki82 Active Member

I've never had the chance to hear the HD800's but it's good to know they have a similar sonic character to the 580/600s.

8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Yes, it's the kind of thing your average indie loving teen spouts forth! I hae ma doots, with respect. Unless you are paraphrasing of course.

And you've been on this thread how long...? Those minutes, we don't get them back y'know.

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

"Love the one you're with." And if she's flexible. . .whoo boy!

10. Uri Cohen

Uri Cohen Forum Resident

Nice to see Head-Fi people here. I'm headphones only so I use the Grado RS2-i for my main setup.

People love Grado for their colored midrange (like I do) while other hate it since it's nowhere near neutral.

Neutral to me is having soup without black paper and hot sauce. Musical is like having the spicy soup you want.

11. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I was headphones only for a long time (head-fi transplant as well) but really starting to like sitting in my living stereo with my low-end, but sufficient, stereo system.

My H600's are fairly neutral, which I've come to accept and they get used for editing my needle drops. But they also get used with my Cowon D3 which is already EQ'd so it balances things out.

12. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

since I can't stand the sound of Schoeps mics due to their extreme neutrality, this statement is probably true, at least pertaining to me.

13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Funny—I never though of Schoeps microphones as 'neutral'. There's a tizziness on top that rhymes with the sound of harpsichords and puts an edge on sopranos.

I've never heard an uncolored microphone.

14. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

15. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Yes that's correct.

Nobody forced you to read anything I wrote.

16. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

"In the time of youth, folly is not an evil. One may succeed in spite of it,
    provided one finds an experienced teacher and has the right attitude toward
    him. This means, first of all, that the youth himself must be conscious of his
    lack of experience
    and must seek out the teacher."

Interestingly, not even the likes of Scott Wheeler have been able to make any progress. At least it is clear as to why that is.

17. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it.[1] Ad hominem reasoning is normally described as a logical fallacy.[2][3][4]

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/skeptic/arguments.html#hominem

Ad Hominem (Argument To The Man):
    attacking the person instead of attacking his argument. For example, "Von Daniken's books about ancient astronauts are worthless because he is a convicted forger and embezzler." (Which is true, but that's not why they're worthless.)
    Attacks don't have to be strong or direct. You can merely show disrespect, or cut down his stature by saying that he seems to be sweating a lot, or that he has forgotten what he said last week. Some examples: "I used to think that way when I was your age."

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/skeptic/arguments.html#conversion

Statement Of Conversion:
    the speaker says "I used to believe in X".
    This is simply a weak form of asserting expertise. The speaker is implying that he has learned about the subject, and now that he is better informed, he has rejected X. So perhaps he is now an authority, and this is an implied Argument From Authority.

A more irritating version of this is "I used to think that way when I was your age." The speaker hasn't said what is wrong with your argument: he is merely claiming that his age has made him an expert.

"X" has not actually been countered unless there is agreement that the speaker has that expertise. In general, any bald claim always has to be buttressed.

For example, there are a number of Creationist authors who say they "used to be evolutionists", but the scientists who have rated their books haven't noticed any expertise about evolution.

18. tootull

What-ifs, Maybes and Might-have-beens. Why-nots, Perhaps and Wait-and-sees.

So, you ride yourselves over the fields.
    And you make all your animal deals.
    And your wise men don’t know how it feels
    to be Thick As A Brick...... two

19. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

What are you winning, acdc? How are you benefiting from your denial? The pleasure you get from audio is not going to increase as time goes on if you waste time trying to prove that everyone else is incapable of proving anything to you.

If you claim that you are not convinced that you will be able to hear the difference in DACs, for example, then what evidence in words can anyone possibly provide to you?! If you claim that vinyl rips played on a common DAC are the near equivalent (and perhaps better!) of listening to the vinyl rig itself, then, again, what combination of words could sway you!?

You refuse to audition a hi-end system, so you have no basis for your beliefs. And again, why? What is it that you are gaining? Are you fininshed having new, unexpected experiences in your life!?

20. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

You go to all that trouble to look up multiple defenitions of ad hominem and post them here. OTOH I give you all kinds of information on euphonic colorations of tubes and vinyl. I tell you in no uncertain terms that it is supported by scientific research and I give you ther name of one of the most respected researchers in audio who has done the body of that work and you tell us here on the forum that you are not going to look into the research or the actual researcher whose name I provided for you then..... you proclaim my assertions to be "baseless." Perhaps you would be better served by spending your time taking the information I have given you and doing some meaningful research (IOW) hearing it from the actual researcher rather than spending your time repeating misinformation here and researchning the defenition of ad hominem.

21. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I agree, Scott. It really is a shame. If I were to guess, he'll split up your last post into multiple quotes with snippy remarks for each. Wasting more time once again.

At some point, a member must break down and just listen to various acclaimed components. This isn't so easy in Pittsburgh as we are in an audiophile black hole. This is why I've offered a demo. Would it be the worst thing on earth to hear Focal Diablo Utopias!? Each component in my chain has been very well received. The final word? Not even close. Believe me, if I could pop over and hear Scott's system or Tonepub's or Metralla's, etc I'd be Xmas eve excited!!

22. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

I googled the name of your researcher and found nothing. For all I know, you could have been sending me on a wild goose chase. I assume you know exactly where the information is, so why is it difficult for you to provide me with a link?

23. tootull

What have you learned today about NEUTRAL?

All this added sh.. is enough to drive me back to a Shure V15.

24. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

It's always easy to say "I wouldn't do it that way." really all we have here is a young guy with a big mouth, no experience and a very basic system that says relatively inane things on a consistent basis. It's pretty common actually.

25. Kustom 250

Kustom 250 Active Member

In the academic setting I work in we call it SODOE, or Strong Opinions Devoid of Experience.

Very common indeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.