Audiophiles don't really want NEUTRAL. Audiophiles don't really like NEUTRAL.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 6, 2010.

1. lsipes1965

lsipes1965 Forum Resident

You and others may be interested in reading an abandoned patent I found last year while researching speaker crossovers. I used to DIY years ago and have never been entirely satisfied with any speakers I’ve either built or bought. The theory part of this patent is what caught my attention first. Just google Ian Howard Knight speaker crossover. This thing works…..with the necessary drivers. Some of the most expensive drivers out there will not work. It takes a driver with low le like a lot of SB acoustics.

2. mkane77g

mkane77g Happy Camper

Its got to tail off 9db or so from 30-15khz. And We don’t like to feel bass

3. lsipes1965

lsipes1965 Forum Resident

I’ve always been sensitive to sibilance. And most “accurate “ speakers sounded bright to me.

BrentB likes this.
  4. fas42

fas42 Well-Known Member

The good thing is that a system which is "neutral' - which I would characterise rather as having distortion of all types below subjectively noticeable levels - is that any sane volume is possible. That is, you can wind up any recording to realistic SPLs, and the listening experience doesn't degrade - in particular, the bass line now sounds like how real instruments project, and the treble content is never a problem.

5. Randy

Randy Never Complain About The A/C On A Private Jet

I've noticed this specifically with many of the Blue Note RVGs.

Dafox likes this.