Audio Technica AT-PL-120

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

I think it's a great idea, anti-skate the same as vertical tracking force, give or take a little. That's what I do on my Technics SL-1200. I personally wouldn't use a test record to lock in on an anti-skate setting. I used to but not anymore. That's because more anti-skate is required the louder the level of the track. On the Hi-Fi News test record, there are 4 skating compensation tracks. Set with equal anti-skate and VTF, the 440MLa should be able to handle the first 3 (at least with our two similar turntables). But if you set the anti-skate to handle the fourth, you'll be over-compensating when playing normal music, IMO.

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Why is more anti-skate required for louder tracks? I never knew this.

3. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Think of it this way.
    The arm has a natural tendency to pull toward the centre which can lead to problems with end of side distortion etc. Anti-skate works by pulling the arm slightly away from that pull, so the stylus is not being pushed toward one side of the groove wall.
    Because when you cut a record, the louder passages require more space, the groove wall is wider, so applying more 'pull' can help to keep the stylus properly centred in the middle of the groove even in those passages.
    The amount depends very much on your cartridge and styli.

4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Thanks, is this something worth adjusting for better sound when playing
    real loud music?

5. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

It may help with 'hot' albums. It's worth investigating if you find some of your albums seem to sound 'rough' in the loud passages or you are getting a splashy sound on high frequencies affecting one channel more than the other.
    Regarding playing weights, I would stick toward the upper limit specified by the manufacturer.
    I will add it's good to check other things first such as your turntable is level with a spirit level, condition of your stylus etc.

6. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

Hi vomitgod,

Yes, this is on the AT-PL120. I have not adjusted the tonearm height or azimuth. I'm not sure how to adjust azimuth on this tonearm or if it can be done. As for VTA, I've read differing thoughts on the relative merits, therefore I'm not ready to try adjusting it without doing more research.

7. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I'm now seriously considering one of these tables, as I'm looking for a rig to play 78s on in order to transfer my mom's old records to digital. It's good to read so many positive reviews.

Regarding VTA, most cartridge manufacturers design their cartridges with a specific VTA, usually about 15 degrees, IIRC (hence the names of some cartridges (XV-15 Type III, for example). There is a huge amount of debate over this issue, which I don't wish to start here as it isn't on topic. I will say if you decide to play with the VTA, you need to be able to accurately measure it. On Turntables equipped with VTA adjustments, it isn't much of a problem. On one like the AT-PL-120, it is more problematic. If you're a tweaker go for it. None of my TTs accommodate VTA adjustment, so I don't mess with it. If the cartridge is properly aligned and installed, it shouldn't be an issue.

8. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Has anyone ever done a side by side comparison with this table and the Technics 1200? They look very similar, though the 1200 is much more expensive.

9. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I'd be interested to see this as well. The KAB modded 1200 is also on my list. I do know that for speed accuracy, the Technics is superior: wow & flutter 0.01% vs the AT at <0.2%, I belive that is an audible difference.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Technics-Turntable-SL-1200-MK2

http://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Technica-PL120-Turntable?sc=2&category=358

I know that the general feeling around here is that specs don't matter, but in this case I think they do. Specs aren't the end-all and be-all of audio, but they can serve as a starting point for comparisons, in the end your own ears have to be the judge.

10. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

That looks interesting - and not too expensive. I used a cheaper alignment card for my 440MLa (and also a previous AT cartridge) (on a Sony turntable) and also had to turn it inwards a bit.

11. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Does the AT-PL-120 comes with detachable interconnect cables?

12. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

No.

13. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

:(

I suppose that's OK. I'd have like to replace the factory interconnects with aftermarket ones.

I'm considering getting this TT when my gov't rebate check comes in and replacing my Technics SL-BD20B with it.

14. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

For my 120 I just got 2 gold couplers and 3 more feet of cable.

15. arachnophilia

arachnophilia Forum Resident

cheap? sure. easy? probably. cheap AND easy? i dunno.

if the at-pl120 is the same exact design as the technics 1200 (i think it is, but not sure), there's a technics specific protracter you can use for the baewald-type alignment, for the cost of a little bit of printer toner and a sheet of paper, and a piece of tape to hold things down. of course, there are much fancier things you can buy that will probably be easier, but this will do the job. the cart should end up all the way at the end of the headshell, and angled slightly inwards, about like so.

16. For The Love

For The Love Active Member

I picked one of these up over the weekend after reading the reviews here and I have to say for the money, this is an awesome deck. I don't think anyone who is concerned about their budget will regret buying one of these.

17. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I paid $150 for mine last year.New.

18. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Adding a heavier Turntable Mat is said to augment the sound quality of this unit.

19. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Here's how it works. There is friction between the stylus and the groove, and that friction creates a pull on the tone arm, and if you were applying the pull in a straight line with the tonearm pivot, no anti-skate would be needed. But you're not. You're pulling at an angle to the tonearm pivot, which creates torque. Imagine yanking on a lawn mower cord. You're pulling in a straight line, but you're pulling on the side of the motor spindle, and so it spins around. Same exact thing. Anti-skate is designed to counter that rotational movement at the pivot. That's why anti-skating is set differently for different stylus shapes, because different stylus shapes create different levels of "drag" in the groove and so produces more "pull" on the pivot. A conical will need more anti-skate than a Shibata, for example. And the same thing happens with really loud grooves. Ever hear the music drop in pitch momentarily when a really loud passage hits? It's stylus drag slowing down the turntable, and that's why LOUD records need more anti-skate. They produce more pull. Hope that helps.

20. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Anyone compared the AT-PL-120 to Sony's LX-350?

21. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I lurked a long time and would like to thank everybody for recommending this TT. I picked this up and am happy with it.

22. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

What tracking force is everyone using with the supplied cartridge?

23. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Can any of you owners tell us where the turntable is made? It would help determine who manufactures these for Audio Technica.

Technics players are all made in Japan, but I suspect that the AT-PL-120 is made in China...

24. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

Made in China, of course. Still, it's a fairly well-made unit. Mine has been getting steady use for 3 years without a single problem.

I have a new Technics SL-1200MK2 arriving today, which is, of course, what the AT-PL120 is modelled after. After I get the 1200 set up, I will post some comparisons between the two decks.

AT-PL120:
    [​IMG]

SL-1200MK2:
    [​IMG]

I have experimented with a few mats, and here are my favorites, on order of preference:

1.) cork mat - handcut from a sheet of cork bought at Joanne Craft for $2.99. Tightest, punchiest bass & best channel seperation.

2.) felt mat supplied with the TT

3.) rubber mat from another TT

The rubber mat actually sounded the dullest, and the cork was the most lively.

25. vomitgod

vomitgod New Member

1.7g for a few days with the supplied cart, and now with a AT-440MLa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.