Audio Technica 440MLa review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joe Nino-Hernes, May 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

I use the previous model, the 440ML, with an SL-1210MK5. No inner groove distortion, sibilance, or other mistracking issues with it. The 440MLa is reportedly even better. It also does a good job of "resurrecting" worn or damaged LPs because its Microline stylus reaches further down into the grooves than a spherical or elliptical stylus, down below certain types of groove damage. There are always exceptions, of course.

2. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

I use a 440MLa with a SL-1500. It's a great match! No inner distortion issues at all :righton:

3. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member Thread Starter

Yeah. Sorry, I have been really busy lately with work and school.

4. Johann

Johann Forum Resident

Thanks guys, I am kinda getting worked up about it!

Sorry if the question is really basic, but I have never used the headshell that came with my Technics turntable.

Just grabbed it from my closet, looks like I can conveniently screw it into the tonearm just as I do the Concorde and switch now and then?

5. Pope V

Pope V Lurker

Exactly what I am using now.

Best thing I've done hardware-wise in the last 5 years.

6. Johann

Johann Forum Resident

Thank you Pope. Any online store you recommend to get it?

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Hmm...for everyone with no inner groove distortion, I've got some records to send your way :p

8. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Bring 'em on! I'm using the 440 ML in my Sony PS-LX350H turntable (which, not surprisingly, doesn't even have that great of a tonearm) for playing CD-4 Quadraphonic discs, and the AT cart tracks the 30khz-50khz carrier flawlessly. It also tracks all of my MFSL discs as well as Steve's vinyl and Kevin Gray's discs perfectly. I'm planning to buy a better TT soon (I'm thinking maybe one of the new Thorens decks), so I imagine that the soundstage will open up quite a bit more although it is very,very good, but I have no inner groove distortion (I did take the time to very exactingly set it up when I installed the 440 ML in the arm).

9. Pope V

Pope V Lurker

10. Johann

Johann Forum Resident

Needledoctor sounds great for the 440MLa, thanks Pete. I noticed the picture shows the model on the plastic case without the suffix a, is that picture indeed the a?

11. Pope V

Pope V Lurker

They look exactly the same except for the writing.

I ordered from that link in March and got the MLa.

12. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Sure! Send them my way. Of course, you do realize that if my 440ML can't track them, I'll have to upgrade to the 150MLX. Mmm...boron...*drool* :D

And you'll be paying for that, right? :laugh:

13. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Yes, that's a benefit of using a detachable headshell.

14. Johann

Johann Forum Resident

Thanks Pete, will order it from them. Was installation easy? Looks like it's just slipping the cables into each colored "tube", right?

And as far as fine turning, did you use the gauge that comes with the Technics or bought a separate one, didn't use one, etc?

15. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

Well I was going to buy the Shure sometime this month, but it sounds like this new AT may be the way to go. Right now I have a cheap-o AT on my rig and it doesn't sond half-bad but I am really excited to hear a real cart. I''m a little nervous with the installation, as I am not to handy with small things, but it cannot be too hard.

16. rasterscan

rasterscan New Member

Well, I picked up a 440Mla (I own a V15 IV with a SAS stylus and all I can say is wow!
    This is a new cart. I tried the old 440ml and it was nothing like the MLa, it was too bright.

17. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Thanks, that's good to know. More evidence that the 440MLa is closer to neutral than its predecessor is great news.

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Do you have both now? Could you post comparison clips?

19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I would still like to know why some people have experienced styrene shredding and not others with the MicroRidge stylus...

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Grant, I think it could be a few factors.

Because styrene will not flex the way vinyl will:

1. You must have perfect alignment to play a very brittle piece of plastic.

2. You must have a very clean groove wall, or you could cut into that wall

3. You must play a styrene record that has no wear, or you will wear it further

4. You must not track styrene with too heavy weight regardless of model

Just my guesses.

21. rasterscan

rasterscan New Member

I planed on posting a few samples this weekend.
    Stay tuned. :)

22. rasterscan

rasterscan New Member

Oh! If anyone wants to test drive the 440Mla head over to Crutchfield.com.
    They have it for $99 BUT they have a great return policy.

23. A good guess, but my experience is that a conical stylus tracking at 7 grams won't shred a styrene record (I don't do this often!) but my 440ML will at anywhere from 1 to 1.6 grams. I'm pretty sure of my alignment and I'm using a Yamaha PX-3 linear machine, although I had the same experience when it was mounted on my SL-1800.

I suspect the secret is tip polish; neither my V15-VMR or m97xes eat much styrene, and I have just assumed it was a different approach to how Shure polishes off the tip.

My guesses as well!

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's not a guess. I actually consider it a fact that you must not track heavy on that material.

In my experience styrene will wear much quicker than a vinyl pressed single regardless of all factors. I never expect to get any real lasting life outta those cheap toy records. So if I find some b-side not found elsewhere, or a rare song not on CD, I plan on doing a needle drop. I clean the 45 very well and then put it away until I get the new stylus. Must be new for that record or I may regret it.

Anyway, I am getting some good solid tracking out of all styrene records that are near mint or above. I must be doing something right.

25. I don't doubt you're right, but all I'm saying is that the "shredding" phenomenon doesn't seem to occur for me with a heavy tracking conical and will with the 440ML. That's not to say that the 7 grams isn't wearing the groove faster in other ways, but that tell-tale hissing of the shredding syndrome isn't there in my experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.