Audio Technica 440MLa review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joe Nino-Hernes, May 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

...or, if they are isolated incidences. I have searched the internet, and have found no complaints about this anywhere.

2. Grant

Right. I just wonder if there wasn't something about those styrene pressings that got shredded, like the stabilizers or surfactants in the record weren't washed or eroded away.

3. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

It's the top area of the groove (where all the delicate high frequencies lie) that usually gets worn away in these situations with the wrong stylus or wrong overhang setup.

4. Grant

But, even if that were true, and it's not, using a conical stylus would actually do more damage.

Information doesn't lie on either the top or bottom of a groove. The frequencies are represented by the vibrations. Look at the grooves of a record. Smaller ripples are your higher frequencies. The long, wider grooves represent the lower requencies.

5. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Really? I didn't know that! ;)

As I said, the high frequencies are the first to go (or the first thing you hear to go) when the wrong stylus or stylus angle rips thru the groove. And most styli are riding near the top portion of the groove, the micro ridge making more contact. Yes, it is the same groove and same information. I indicated that the highs are at the top but I intended to say that that's where they usually get worn away. Often you can get to fresh groove area on a worn record when you go to a narrower stylus profile. In theory anyway.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

all that above just to say this below:

and we wonder why audiophiles tend to get into endless arguments and endless nothingness.

:help:

7. Grant

Beagle,

A round, or conical, or large stili cannot get into the groove, so less damage is done, even if it tracks with a higher weight. A smaller stylus, starting at about .02 x .07 mil, can get into the groove and do damage, especially if it''s an elliptical or MicroLine-type tip.

Imagine playing a record with the blunt end of a sewing needle. Apply a bit of pressure. Not much harm to the groove, is there? Now, turn the pin over to the sharp side and try. Ouch! There goes your vinyl!

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Grant,

I've been test plying several styrene 45s with the 440 micro line.

They seem to sound just fine and no crackle wear sound at all. I have not tried to do a back spin, I think I won't. But there seems to be no issue at my home.

Montego Bay by Bobby Bloom (remember that great one) on L & R Records (not in the gallery) sounds really good, and that percussion which is what makes the song so cool tracks with full clarity.

I think the styrene issue must be related to any wear on vinyl or stylus which must equal death of the record groove. :confused:

9. Grant

Yes it is! I did it two years ago. I found the 45 in a small used store in Bisbee, AZ. Look in the "L" section. It's on the very last page.

10. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

Here's an old thread related to this.

11. Maybe there's a solution we all can find, as mine eats Columbia records quickly, but they seem to have wider grooves. I'll try to find one of my copies of "Montego Bay" tonight and see what happens with the 440ML; I don't really remember it having low groove pitch, so it might fall into the category of styrene records I have that the 440ML doesn't bother (as I said before, like 80s Warner Bros. records on styrene).

I really don't think it's related to VTF, as I've tried a number of different forces, from below 1 gram to 1.6 as a test, and got basically the same results on unplayed Columbia discs fromt he 80s. Just my opinion.

12. Grant

My copy of "Montego Bay" is on thin vinyl.

13. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

i've been away for several weeks, but i'm glad to have come back to the board to see that people other than myself are so excited about the AT440MLa. some of you may recall that i was raving about it a few months ago. i've got one on both of my turntables now, and i couldn't be happier. i'd still give it an A for inner-groove tracking ability, and a B+ for eliminating (or dramatically reducing) sibilance. (i have a couple of records, one of them being the 2nd US edition of Thomas Dolby's first album, that still sound sibillant with the AT440MLa, but which were still significantly worse with other carts, like the Shure M97xE).

My M97xE is permanently out of commission. I can see why its flat response would be appealing, and it does have a certain warmth that is nice, but I just get so much more detail out of the AT440MLa, not to mention, i will give up flat response in a heartbeat for a cartridge that can track the inner grooves and deal with sibillance perfectly.

If there is one drawback, crackles and pops tend to be a tiny bit louder with the AT, which can be a drag on quieter passages, but if your records are generally crackle free then there's no serious problem, obviously.

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

What plant did MGM on thin vinyl? Mine (MGM dist. labels) were all RCA type 45s (thicker vinyl/label area), or Styrene.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Well, I just cracked open an original (I think mid 60s pressed) Shangri-Las 65' album on original Red Bird records to do a needle drop. And it's on styrene.

How many here have LPs on this horrid stuff? I can't tell if the bit of distortion I hear is the original recording, or I am chewing up a $200.00 LP by playing it with a micro-line.

Oh well, it sounds ok, not really really bad. I did a quick h20 cleaning before I put the needle down on it.

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

How about those clips, Joe?

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Joe?

18. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member Thread Starter

Sorry, I have been busy lately. Lots of live sound gigs! I will get to them ASAP.

19. I'm curious about this as well; I'm also wondering how the performance would be if I just bought the newer, remodeled stylus for my 440ML body...

20. BrianH

BrianH Formerly healyb

this needle will work with any TT isn't that right? I'm thinkin I might get this for my TT for a lot of bang for the buck. (I have the realistic lab-395)
    Could I just take out the current needle and put this one in it, or would that be impossible for some reason?

21. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

If your turntable takes a standard mount cartridge it will work. You'll know it's a standard mount if the cartridge is attached to the arm with two screws and four little wires.

22. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

What phono preamp would be a good match for the new AT, both sonically and budget wise, say, under 400 US?

In my case it would be mostly for pop.

23. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Something with a low capacitance would probably be best for the flattest response. I use a Hagerman Bugle with 9v batteries for low noise and no hum. Rechargeable 12v batteries or the optional power supply are nice upgrades. The sound quality is outstanding. Jim Hagerman built this unit as a "statement piece" to compete with much more expensive products. Check out www.hagtech.com. The reviews for this thing have been great over at the VinylAsylum and other places.

24. Johann

Johann Forum Resident

Does anyone use this 440MLa with a Technics SL-1210MK2 or very similar?

It sounds like a good replacement for the inner distortion issues I have with my current Ortofon Concorde night club (spherical).

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Still planing on doing those sound clips, Joe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.