Audio Technica 440MLa review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joe Nino-Hernes, May 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Even if it's a stereo 45???

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've played some styrene 45s with the 440 and don't recall any issues of accelerated wear. I will do come checking and report back.

I'll bet the 440 stylus just needs to be brand new when in contact with styrene, as just a shade of wear will chisel out the groove. But with new one, and with light weight, problems would be minimal. :uhhuh:

3. Grant

You mean, at least with medium pressure, don't you? Tracking light will damage a record for sure.

4. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member Thread Starter

Yes. Conical tips are the only safe thing for styrene 45's.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Won't they do just as much damage (or more) on high frequency sections?

6. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Don't jump to any conclusions! :)

There are a variety of styli that will fit on the 440 body. The ATN120E and ATN130E are .3 x .7 and .2 x .7 mil elliptical styli, respectively. In fact, the ATN130E is the same size and shape as the stylus fitted on the Shure M97xE.

7. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

It was probably just a bad stylus to begin with. Any stylus shape, from conical to microline, will destroy a record if the diamond has any sharp or cracked edges.

8. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

More critical, yes, but it's really no more difficult to set up a microline stylus than it is an elliptical. No matter what the stylus, if you hear any distortion you should check all of your setup parameters. A mistracking conical or elliptical is not much better if it is at all. The only thing with a microline stylus is that if you screw it up, you'll damage more of the groove wall because of its extra length. Of course, I have some records that were damaged with conical and elliptical styli and even with a microline stylus they still sound bad. So there's really no "good" way to damage a groove. You either set it up right or you probably have to live with the results no matter what. A properly set up microline stylus with its lower distortion and tracing error and (usually) better tracking ability means less wear and tear in the long run.

9. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

But, it only ate this one album. It was fine on on any other piece of vinyl I threw at it. I still think it might have had something to do with the profile being a little too close to the original cut. In effect, this was what it was doing, with the shavings flying all over the place.

When I mentioned it to Audio Technica, they noted that only one other person (a record dealer) had contacted them with the same problem.

They did discontinue this particular model, that year, for what it's worth.

10. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Wow, I hope they've revised the design slightly since then! :)

11. Joe Nino-Hernes

Nope.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Why not? Wouldn't mistracking cause more damage with styrene?

13. Joe Nino-Hernes

I am not sure why, but this is what Steve recommends.

14. Darles Chickens

Darles Chickens New Member

I never thought a cartridge review thread could become four pages long. :)

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, but this is a very special cart. I called it a bargan under a hunderd, but it might be the best thing going under $200.00.

For needle drops as well as for listening you need that perfect tracking and a stylus that misses some of the noise from previous wear. It's an amazing thing.

16. Grant

That's good to know.

17. Grant

You haven't been here long, have you? :D

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I think I found the thread in question. Is it only a problem if you miss the groove? Or is there a difference in groove width as well that allows the stylus to bottom out?

19. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

I use the AT 440ML for CD-4 w/ very good results.

20. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

The brightness is system dependent. Mine tends to be euphonic. I do not have a problem using the AT 440ML.

21. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

QUOTE: Also, NEVER use a line contact stylus to play styrene 45's. It will damage them.

Joe, are you absolutely certain about this? Its been awhile,but I remember being told that the AT 440ML would not damage these. Please let us know what info you have to back this up. I have some rare 45s
    Thanks

22. Joe Nino-Hernes

Yes. Unfortunately, I have damaged a few.

23. Before I ever realized that line contact styli were potentially damaging, I had this one particular 45 that was making a noise as if it was stylus damaged. When I played it on a different turntable which was set-up with a Signet AM20 (standard nude elliptical stylus), it sounded perfectly fine. I wonder if standard elliptical styli can be damaging as well? Hopefully very soon, I should have one of my turntables specifically set-up for playing 45s (complete with correct stylus), and possibly yet another with a 1.0mil microgroove stylus for earlier vintage mono LPs. Of course I'm also working on a dedicated turntable - probably my spare Linn Axis modified - for 78 playback (might as well be able to enjoy all types of records). ......Of course I only mention this because it'd be a great idea if Audio Technica could offer different type styli for their cartridges(though nowadays, a cartridge/stylus manufacturer is reluctant to try such a limited demand product).

24. Joe Nino-Hernes

They have an eliptical version of the 440MLa, the 120E/T. Audio Technica is one of the few companies that has a full line of cartridges, from budget all the way on up.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bin/product_search/cartridges/cartridges.pl

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

With the V15?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.