Audio Technica 440MLa review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joe Nino-Hernes, May 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I think that the M97xE is a nice sounding cart. Very smooth. The sibilance, however, is a huge problem IMO.

The AT440ML was too bright by comparison but didn't have the sibilance problem.

This new cart may be the best of both worlds. :thumbsup:

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

This is great news. The old cart sounded fantastic on my living room system, but the other one in the bedroom where I have a TT hooked up to computer for digital/CDR capture, that is where the end result was bright.

Tracking was never an issue ever at all.

So glad they did not flatten out the sound and were still able to tone down the brightness. The high end extension is what brings clarity, now to get that without being bright makes this the best choice for under a hundred on planet earth.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No doubt! The reason the Shure M97xE is praised here is because it is virtually ruler flat in it's response, and that is what I prefer, flat frequency response. I've never had tracking problems with it, but I will abmit that the siblence performance could be better.

Looks like I gotta get the new AT cart!

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Grant, sibilance *is* a tracking problem. Also one that can/will damage your records.

5. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member Thread Starter

Yes, the channel separation is fantastic! Every AT cartridge I have ever owned, even their really cheap models, have great channel separation.

6. Joe Nino-Hernes

Yes! I have some needle drops that I made with the Shure V15VxMR. I can do some with the AT-440MLa.

7. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

I've got the new AT-440MLa on My Technics SL-1500. Everything Joe sez is true.
    It sounds great and and it tracks better than my V15VxMR :righton:

8. Darles Chickens

Darles Chickens New Member

I wish someone would write a review of the Koetsu Tiger Eye.

9. hamburgerpimp

hamburgerpimp New Member

To Grant and Sean (and anyone else),

Concerning the M97xE, is sibilance a constant problem, or does it tend to increase as you approach the inner groove?

10. Joe Nino-Hernes

Yes, I have it. It plays without sibilance.

11. Pug

IIRC on Dark Side of the Moon there is sibilance throughout. Let me re-check tonight to confirm.

12. Pug

:love:

13. Joe Nino-Hernes

It is really tough to track. It took some serious VTA tweaking to get my V15VxMR to track it. It was much easier to align the 440MLa. It is actually square, so you have a good visual against the alignment grid. Getting the Shure aligned was a pain, because it is shaped so weird.

14. Grant

Not always. Let's not forget that not all vinyl is created perfect. Some siblence is actually either on the tape or from the disc being cut bad.

15. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Just when I buy a v15, this happens. :mad: I'm gonna have to try it! :D Thanks for the review Joe.

16. Darles Chickens

Darles Chickens New Member

Is anyone going to write a review of the Koetsu Tiger Eye? I want to know what a thirteen thousand dollar cartridge sounds like.

17. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

Funny story. Audio Technica used to make a Microline P-Mount back in the early 90's - the AT152MLP. I still own it. Anyway...believe that little company tagline of theirs about nearly replicating the cutter head with their Microlines. One day, I was playing a record. I touched the stylus to the LP and, all of a sudden, little pieces of black shavings started flying off the record!

Needless to say, I drove down to AT (about 20 minutes) and they mentioned that I was only the second person to have this happen. Turned out they might have been a little *too* close in replicating that cutter head. They gave me three line contact replacements instead. :)

18. Joe Nino-Hernes

Don't get me wrong, I love the V15VxMR, it is a great cartridge! I have enjoyed it very much over the past four years that I have owned it. It is very flat, and I like that. If Shure re-introduced it, I would buy a new one in a heartbeat. Its just good to know that the Audio Technica is a good replacement for it.

19. Joe Nino-Hernes

Me too, but it would be silly for me to buy a $13,000 cartridge for a $75 turntable!

My dream table is a fully decked out VPI TNT. :love: :love:

Right now, I am saving for a VPI Scoutmaster.

20. Grant

This probably means that one must be very critical in setting up a cart with the microline stylus. I can see how easy it would be to damage the vinyl.

21. Joe Nino-Hernes

This is true. If you hear any mistracking with a line contact stylus, stop playing immediately and check alignment. Also, NEVER use a line contact stylus to play styrene 45's. It will damage them.

However, a properly setup line contact stylus is actually very healthy for vinyl. The stylus shape causes much less wear than with an elliptical stylus.

22. Grant

Aw crap! :mad: I play quite a few styrene 45s because I collect oldies, and sometimes I am stuck with them. I cannot switch out headshells on my tone arm, so I have to switch out the whole cart, which is a time-consuming hassle.

Besides, sometimes, styrene 45s can sound very good!

23. Joe Nino-Hernes

The best thing for playing styrene 45's is a conical stylus.

24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I remember someone here saying that they couldn't play styrene 45's with their 440 without it tearing up the pressing, but didn't have a problem with styrene pressings when using a V15 with the Micro Ridge styli.

25. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

Yeah, I was aware of the styrene issues. This was weird though, 'cause it was a modern, early 90's LP pressing. You can imagine the horror in my eyes watching this stylus carve my record up...lol!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.