Anyone got Kate Bush "Hounds of Love" Audio Fidelity 180 gram Vinyl release yet?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter K, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Egan

John Egan Active Member

I would have preferred to buy this at Amoeba or Rasputin. Along with wanting to support my local retailers, that would have saved the mailing cost and made a return easier in the unlikely event of a bad disc. But these stores (and Amazon) aren't scheduled to recieve HOL till early October. It's not worth it to wait another month and a half worrying about the availability of a limited run. It benefits Acoustic Sounds to use this tactic to get me to order directly from them but I can't say I'm thrilled with feeling coerced into it.

2. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i don't know how the copies are being distributed, but i got number 111 yesterday.... with 5,000 out there, i don't think they are going to all fly out the door in the next month or six. i ordered mine from AF, the first time i've ordered direct from them. packaging was great.

3. John Egan

John Egan Active Member

Neither do I, it's just the wait and the wondering that isn't worth it. ACs packing and service is tops but to make themselves the exclusive outlet for so long is excessive.

4. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

AF secures the low numbers for members and for those that order direct from AF. I don't know what that serial number point is -- first 500 for AF and the remainder for resellers?

Bob

5. phish

phish Jack Your Body

so, if they are going out numerically, i'm guessing they have 350 at least still on hand and 4500 going out the door?

6. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

It'll be like any other distribution.. as ordered.

7. vintage_tube

I could be wrong on this -- but I don't believe they number all 5000 copies. The only ones numbered are those that are bought from AF. The ones they send out to resellers are not numbered.

I misspoke in post #129 above. Didn't clarify this -- which I believe is the way they do it at AF.

Bob

8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Diverse Vinyl (in UK) have them in now. My pre-order should be in the post for delivery within the next couple of days.

9. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

I believe you are wrong about this. I just received mine from Acoustic Sounds--which, despite at least one of the posters above, is not to be confused with Audio Fidelity. It has a number of 1320. I presume Audio Fidelity reserves the lower numbers, but I just couldn't justify paying almost $10 extra for shipping just one item from them, when I could order several different items from AS for a lower shipping cost.

10. vintage_tube

Thanks for the clarification:thumbsup: -- I stand corrected.

Bob

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

The only time I saw the original UK vinyl was when I was in England years ago. It was around 500 pounds - that was over $1,200.00 CAD at the time. Ouch!!!!!

And mine arrived two days ago - thoughts soon. :)

12. Geoff

Geoff Senior Member

500 quid?!?!? Surely original UK copies aren't particularly rare?

I'm feeling very tempted to get this version. I'm sure it'll beat my original Australian LP (which cost me $3 from lifelife, hehe).

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

:shrug:

Well, it was autographed. :D

14. Classicrock

Original UK vinyl is cheap. So it should be common, very thin pressing and most quite crackly. New pressings were not that great. The best edition was the 180 grm EMI 100 reissue done from origial analogue tapes. I am hoping the AF is an improvement on this and the coloured vinyl is quiet. Would have prefered black or clear.

15. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I don't have the EMI100 on LP - just the CD. Do you know how it compares?

16. Classicrock

I don't have this on CD but on a decent system I would bet on the EMI 100 LP being far superior.

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Based on what?

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Far superior to the CD?

19. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Since my system is in storage I can't make any comparisons but I do have the original U.S., original U.K. and EMI Century Series pressings and IMO the Simply Vinyl trounces all of them and therefore is the one for the AF pressing to beat.

20. Classicrock

Based on the fact it is all analogue and a well mastered vinyl is nearly always superior to any CD. I also used to have 'The Whole Story' on CD and the tracks from HOL are certainly inferior to the EMI 100 vinyl.

21. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

No offense, but I think you're making a lot of assumptions here. Good mastering is good mastering, whether it's CD or LP. And The Whole Story is a rather bland mastering, overall.... on both CD and LP. :shrug:

22. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident Thread Starter

I received my AF copy about a week ago. Exceptionally quiet vinyl, very nice pressing and packaging. I ordered from AF directly. I am a Platinum CD member no 149. My vinyl was number 54 and I am not a vinyl club member. I also have the whole story which is a very poor pressing, noisy etc. AF just walks all over it. I suspect it would beat the EMI anniversary edition or even an original pressing. This is very good. I would recommend it highly.

23. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Apologies in advance for the long post....

CDs (I sold my Canadian CD years ago when I heard the UK CD release!):

CDP746164 2 (UK - Made in Holland)
    7243 5 25239 2 4 (remaster with bonus tracks) Note: This has exactly the same matrix and tracks as the EMI100 release with the box and EMI "history" booklet.
    CP32-5086 Japanese black triangle

LPs (as with my Canadian CD, I sold my Canadian LP years ago when I heard the UK LP release!) :
    Hounds of Love - Simply Vinyl
    Hounds of Love - EJ2403841
    Hounds of Love - UK release with lyrics on the inner sleeve (EJ2403841 - Townhouse) This includes an insert that says "The Kate Bush 1984 Exclusive Merchandise Edition" and you could purchase a T shirt, sweat shirt or two different art prints limited to 1,000 copies, each signed by Kate. :cool: And no - I don't have any... :cry:
    And, of course, I have the This Woman's Work box set version - LP, of course.
    And I'm sure I have another UK version somewhere (purchased from a guy in Australia), but it was pretty scratchy and it was not better than my other LP copies.

Note: Each HOL album release quotes the same four lines by Tennyson "The Coming of Arthur" except for the remaster and EMI100 which quotes the same four lines as Tennyson "The Holy Grail" (!!)

45RPM 12"
    Alternative Hounds of Love - (mixed by Del Palmer)
    Cloudbursting - The Organon Re-mix
    Running up that hill (remixed - includes vocal and instrumental versions)

With all this in my collection, you'd think I was a Kate fanatic. Well, I'll have to admit she's one of my favourite artists. And since HOL appears to be the peak of her career (so far) there are (or were) lots of unique items out there for this release. For example, I purchased all of the 45RPM items from one local store.

Because of my HOL "collection" as above, I decided to really give the new AF a good comparison workout. Besides, it's not a hardship when it's one of your favourite albums by one of your favourite artists, is it? :)

Of the CD versions, the CP32-5086 is my favourite. The remaster comes in a close second while the stock UK release is third. As noted above, I sold my Canadian release years ago because the UK release was much superior.

I did compare all CD releases yet again and confirmed my preference. When doing my comparisons, I selected both the CP32-5086 and remastered versions since I like them both. Please note that I think my CDP holds it's own against my turntable. For example, in other situations when comparing versions between CD and LP, sometimes I prefer the LP and other times, the CD. So I could not call either one of them a "weak link". :)

Then I ran through my LP releases.

Hounds of Love - EJ2403841 and EJ2403841 Townhouse were very noisy with pops and clicks - but they were detailed.

The This Woman's Work version was very disappointing. It had very few pops and clicks but it was very muffled. Dull! Hard to hear her vocals clearly. Wow...

The Simply Vinyl copy was the best of the lot. Very nice, clear, clean, relatively pop and click free.

So now we're set up for The Contender - the Audio Fidelity release mastered by Steve and Kevin.

This is the only version that I have that has the original gatefold cover! And when you add in the original marble vinyl, you have something pretty special. :cool:

And the sound? Superb! My copy was pop and click free although on the second play I heard three - probably due to the dryness of the basement listening room (a prevention necessary against the humidity of the summer).

Kate's vocals were clear, the background voices and effects were distinct, the instruments sounded perfect. For example, the double bass on Under Ice was so real and clear that you can easily hear the difference between each note that Danny Thompson played. Lots of air between the instruments here - no muddy sound.

IMO, the only version that comes close is the Simply Vinyl version. And, yes, this includes all CD versions that I have, listed above.

This is excellent - and I hope that AF can get the rest of the catalogue!!!!!!!

bluemooze likes this.
  24. Classicrock

Thanks Gary. Only thing is I think the gatefold cover is unique to AF as original UK was single cover with inner.

25. bcbassboy

bcbassboy Forum Resident

nice Gary!
    I have seen a Brazilian or Paraguay version that had the gatefold

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.