any Led Zep projects in the works?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I've heard people say this before and it is way off the mark. Jimmy would never allow anyone to sell a tape to a bootleg company and hence make money off the Zeppelin name. If someone close to the band was selling these tapes he would not be happy and he would certainly deal with it. Even if they weren't selling the tapes to empress valley or what have you Jimmy would still not allow this. He has said many times he doesn't feel its right to charge fans for these bootlegs. He doesn't have a problem with fans trading tapes but he certainly has a problem with people being charged for them.

These "leaks" are coming from tapes long ago stolen or purposely lost by people who worked for the band. However they are not getting jmmy's sign off on the whole affair.

Eddie

2. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Yes, I found that show in CD in a used CD store a few years back. It's quite good up until when they flubbed Kashmir. The CD I found is incomplete as it doesn't have Stairway. Definitely one of their better 1980 shows.

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Some of us simply don't believe the story that someone visited Jimmy's house and took vintage soundboard tapes when he wasn't looking. Do you seriously think he has this stuff lying around?

I think the 1980 soundboard came from Plant's assistant that got fired in the late 80's. The 75 Vancouver soundboard apparently came from a show-co employee. That said, senior members of the LZ used to double check the soundboard area and signal paths near the stage to see that nobody was running a "patch".

4. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

The story I read was that the theft was supposedly by friends of his ex who were staying in his house while he was out of town.

5. elendirlight

elendirlight New Member

Friends of Charlotte and babysitters for Scarlet, they knew the place well enough.

6. SoundAdvice

I'm aware. He also said around the time of the 2003 that he's had tape archives for all the soundboards since the 1970's at an undisclosed location under an assumed name.

Why would Jimmy have several dozen soundboards sitting around the house?

I'm assure that some musicians are well aware they copies of old soundboard with little commercial value can be traded for breifcases full of thousand$.

7. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

8. SoundAdvice

He would only play copies. Masters would be locked away.

A possible motivation for have new shows circulating amongst fans/trading circles is to keep the LZ fresh and alive. Plus it would annoy the hell out of Plant.

BTW, Page has been known to sign boots.

9. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

And sign gloves!:winkgrin: HOOOoo Heee Heee! Michael is playing everywhere I go today,there`s just no escaping,he`s sure one missed dude!
    I hope the masters are still in page`s possesion.Different charactar here but Eddie Vanhalen has often been quoted saying"I have all these tapes lying around the house"
    We`ll probably never hear any more archives from Page,but I seen some funny pictures of Jimmy in Japanese stores checking out unofficial Zep products.

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I agree. If the band were ever to put out some sort of multi-disc live boxset, some recordings from the 1980 tour would fit nicely at the end. The fidelity would be a little off compared to multi-tracks, but for historical purposes, it would work. Also, as far as soundboards go, some of the 1980 boards have a very nice mix.

However, it seems as though the official DVD was the band's attempt at a multi-disc archival project spanning their career. Don't see it happening again, particularly with CDs.

11. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Estimating the exact date...he definitely knows Plant - his wife is a producer on a late night show and has met him a couple times. Last appearance Percy refused to sign a record because it wasn't the current Alison Krauss one.

Speaking of which Page is on the cover of the new Guitar World with The Edge and Jack White (again)

12. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

for the Zep experts here:

where the legendary June 1977 LA Forum gigs professionally recorded?

13. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Unfortunately nothing from the '77 tour was professionally recorded. Of course the Mike Millard aud tapes are some of the best aud recordings ever.

14. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Agreed. These days I often prefer a really good audience over soundboard-it gives you more of a "you are there" vibe. The Millard Floyd tapes are quite awesome too. I just wish he had recorded a different tour.

I agree with others about some good sounding '80 Zep shows but at that point IMHO Jimmy's tone sounded like **** and Robert's voice was drenched with echo.

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Anyone who believes that Page is responsible or is happy for these tapes to be sold to bootleg companies needs their head examined!

There is no goings on like that and least of all anything to do with annoying Plant. Page would never allow anyone to profit from the band like that.

Eddie

16. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I know Dave Grohl is not the most popular guy on this forum but I am very interested to see what John Paul Jones comes up with in collaberation with him and Josh Homme.

17. SoundAdvice

They used an audience tape on the 2003 DVD. Menu display using audio for Song Remains.

18. kwf

kwf Forum Resident

He collects them too....

19. SoundAdvice

Groups like Neil Diamond and Bon Jovi have sold tickets directly to brokers at a mark up for years. They don't need the money. Who knows if appropriate taxes are paid.

20. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

Like this one...:D

Attached Files:

21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yep. Can't imagine a dry, sterile soundboard with JPJ's bass way up in the mix being better than the Millard recordings. Considering Page used a portion on the DVD says a lot, especially if it is true that he has these soundboards in his personal vault.

22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

He has to. It's the only way he can get these tapes back in his own collection! A lot were stolen and he doesn't have the audience tapes either so he needs those.

Eddie

23. SoundAdvice

Yet, he never sued them like APPLE did to get back the Get Back jam tapes. ....and if anyone has his lawyer on speed dial, it's Jimmy....

BTW, Jimmy apparently took home 2 suitcases full of cd/dvds - all complimentary from the store owner. That's why Page posed for the photos.

24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Is he meant to hunt down all the people who might have stolen tapes that used to work for the Show Co crew? Then what? Close up all the booltleg stores in Japan? Sounds to me like he took his calculator out and used it. Figured out that trying to stop all these guys would cost him more than it was worth.

Look at the end of the day he is not condoning any of this, he just puts up with it. His own relatives have stolen from him or double crossed him and he was well pissed off about it.

Page made a comment about those Japanese bootleg stores. He goes in takes what he wants for free and he calls it a fair deal, which I think is quite humorous.

I've said this before and I'll say it again anyone who thinks Page is happy for his friends to sell tapes they took from Page or were given to them is way off the mark.

Eddie

25. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Didn't know that. I don't endorse bootlegging for profit, but I wonder how Yakuza respond to Jimmy's 'shopping sprees'...?

;) :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.