any Led Zep projects in the works?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Great description :righton:

2. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

That's interesting. I thought his excuse for not doing more Zep-related stuff was that he was going right back in the studio with AK. Not that he needed an excuse--IMO, he's earned the right to do whatever he wants. He doesn't owe Page, Jones, or the fans a tour.

3. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I can understand why some musicians would rather sit around in the comfort of their own homes and just jam with friends.

4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yes I agree he should forget all the fuss of a band. I think one of the biggest obstacles for Jimmy Page is this Zeppelin weight hanging around his neck.

IMO I think Page is getting tired of it too and I think he knows it's stopping him from progressing.

I think he just has to stop talking about Zeppelin in away (sort of what Plant did in his early solo career) at least for a little while. He needs a break from being the guitarist from Led Zeppelin and he needs a break from being the Jimmy Page. He just needs to get back to being a musician. I think it's what he needs.

Eddie

Eddie

5. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Good post - thanks. I guess by "nailing it" I meant as good (and concise) as the original. Jimmy is an exciting player, no doubt, but can be very sloppy when he's off.

6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Check out the Japan '71 shows. :shh:

7. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Great shows and solos indeed from the Japan '71 run. The forth album wasn't even out yet so the STH solos were a bit streamlined then.

Maybe my least favorite "Stairway" solo was the one from the O2 in 2007. It was too short and lacked drama. Another reason why that show may never see the light of day, IMO.

Really though, for me Jimmy nailed this solo throughout most of the 70's and as mentioned upthread, in a different way each time. Many times when listening to a live version I'll just skip ahead to the 5 1/2 mark and just check out how he works it out.

8. steveharris

:edthumbs:

9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Many great points have been mentioned regarding why it is highly unlikely Page would ever oversee an archival collectors label. There is just way too much brutal truth so-to-speak on those soundboards, particularly the post-1973 shows. And while it will probably be a very long time until another archival project is issued, Atlantic will ultimately put pressure on the band to issue something. The Japan tapes from either '71 or '72 or Earls Court '75 will be obvious possibilities....

10. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Well there's nothing stopping Page from hiring someone to do the work. Accounts from Kevin Shirley and others involved with the 2003 DVD and live album projects reported that Page more or less just popped into the studio each day and listened to the work in progress for a few minutes, offered a suggestion or two then went on his way. Mind you, there were several studios involved in all aspects of the video and audio restoration, production, etc., so he was busy commuting among them, but the principle remains the same. I think Atlantic will certainly pressure him/them for something as I recall in an interview John Paul Jones gave before the O2 show he mentioned that Mothership was done because the "record company" kept pressuring them for a compilation.

However, Page has also said in interviews that he's very aware of the concept that less is more. In other words, if they flood the market with too much Led Zeppelin material, it tends to diminish the mystique and demand. It's the old concept of keep them begging for more.

However, if he's to do new music, it'll require his focus. I can't see him putting out new music at the same time he does archival stuff. Plus, he's said in the past that there are already some tremendous soundboards, etc., out there, so he may feel those are good enough.

11. elendirlight

elendirlight New Member

Jason is doing well, going out and playing at different events and with different people. He has Airrace back and probably guests on Slash's solo album as well.

As what you said about Plant, it's your speculation, right?

And I don't see Jimmy would join in on the Jones/Grohl/Homme project, and I hope he would not be involved, it would cause too much stress.

12. elendirlight

elendirlight New Member

That's what Robert Plant has done and he is the "bad guy" for a lot of hardcore fans. :sigh:

13. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Not mentioning any names. :shh: :D ;)

14. steveharris

...Or Plant is the bad guy for voting down vault releases!:wave:
    and I`ll bet he`s responsible for delaying Beatles remasters!

:laugh: I realy don`t blame him for anything!:cheers:(coffee)

15. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Well I think the Airrace thing is just a few select reunion gigs. It's too bad the thing with Page and Jones couldn't have taken off as it would have helped solidify the view that this guy is a tremendous drummer in his own right. The O2 gig really helped a lot but it was only one show. There those of us who feel he's good, but the general public perception I think is that he's just a shadow of his dad. Too bad. At least he got out of that Foreigner gig. If they'd produced a vital album of new music, it might have been ok but just touring the country doing the old stuff looked sad (I also think the same would have been bad for Led Zeppelin had they gone in this direction. New music was essential).

No, not mine. It was reported on a couple of blogs from Nashville insiders who were quoted to a couple of Led Zeppelin mailing lists and news pages. Of course those could be speculation too but given how they seemed to be going full speed ahead on a second Plant-Krauss album around the time they won the Grammies, the owner of Rounder Records was quoted as talking about a 15-20 date summer 2009 tour to support the release of a second album and suddenly it's all gone, something obviously happened. Plus, in the few interviews Plant has given, including just a couple of days ago when he received his CBE from Prince Charles, he made no mention of Alison at all. Anyone who's followed Plant knows that he always plugs his current projects and collaborators incessantly.
    Perhaps, but it's unfortunate if Page and Jones can't work together. I've long thought that that combination (and especially Jones) was more responsible for the sound and success of Led Zeppelin than people thought.

16. elendirlight

elendirlight New Member

I know all of this. I said it was your speculation that Plant has nothing to do musically at the point, as if he is only sitting on his heels waiting for Alison to come around. Anyone who's followed Plant knows that he is a work horse and restless.

17. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

But actually he hasn't. stopped talking about Led Zeppelin. I've followed his solo career from day one and read every interview I got my hands on. He's always been operating in the shadow of Led Zeppelin and been spooked by that past, even during the early solo career (which I still consider his finest musical work since LZ). It might be little things like teasers of vocal riffs and ""Let that boy boogie..."during '83 live gigs, the "Since I've Been Loving You" line at the end of White, Clean and Neat, the WLL vocal dives on Manic Nirvana, the Going to California clone on Mighty Rearranger. There's this constant simmering tension always there. You go to his web site and there's hardly any references to Led Zeppelin, as if he's ashamed of it all. Jones on the other hand just moves on. He shows obvious pride in his Zeppelin years and continues his music his way. Go to his web site and (although it's a bit out of date lately), he features Zeppelin footage, plus solo footage. It just gives off a vibe of someone who's much more at peace with his past. That's what I hope Jimmy eventually does too, moves forward.

Anyway, this thread is about possible LZ projects in the works, not the solo projects. I honestly think the only one we're likely to see anytime soon is the O2 show. These guys are all very rich, so there's no financial motivation. All are now moving on musically since the momentum coming out of the O2 show has been wasted, so there's no great motivation musically to put anything new LZ-related out there. The digital downloads deal is done. The 40th anniversay definitive box set is out there (even if it is recycled from 19 year-old remasters). The theme park ride had its day. The HTWWW live release filled a big gap, and the best of the later stuff is on the DVD. I don't see what's left. I know there are a lot of great shows in the can, but again, Jimmy either has to spend his time pouring through them or else hire someone to do it. Maybe he will, but the guy is 65 and has a life outside of music. Plant would likely be quite content to retire and split his time between tennis and following his favorite football teams. Jones has a new project. Jason's kind of hovering with guest spots, but maybe that's what he'll always do.

18. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Not always. He's had several periods of inactivity. Who knows. Maybe he will try something new. Alison is busy. Strange Sensation has mostly moved on. The Led Zeppelin reunion is lost. Maybe he'll try the Honeydrippers II he was planning with Ahmet Ertugen before Ahmet's death. He did tell a reporter a couple of days ago who asked him what the highlight of his career has been that it's far too early, that he's only halfway through his career (a 90-year-old onstage asking to have his lemon squeezed? Yikes!).

19. elendirlight

elendirlight New Member

Not now :winkgrin:.

And I feel quite confident to say that I will see more things from him.

20. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Why did his football team lose? (I don't follow it).
    Perhaps. If he's not going to work with Page, Jones and Bonham, I'd like to see him team up with Robbie Blunt again as I felt their work was his finest solo material. Alternatively, I'd like to see him do something with Strange Sensation's Skin as I felt that aspect of the band was never explored (Plant kept focusing on Justin Adams, who I felt was grossly overrated). Or perhaps try something new with someone we haven't heard before.

21. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Some might argue they already have...:righton:

For all the LZ/Grant bluster about "bootlegs", signs point to the fact that many of the soundboard "leaks" came internally with the purpose of maintaining the band's status.

As for Plant's inactivity, in the past few years he's also played low profile stuff. Obviously he played with Alison at the Grammys which was just a few months ago.

Edit: I almost forgot to post, my cousin ran into him in LA about two weeks ago (not playing)

22. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I know of a live concert downloading site that put a halt to some 1980's shows (only some not all) because they were requested to stop. Could this be something forthcoming?

23. elendirlight

elendirlight New Member

Is your cousin sure that was him? He was in Morocco about two weeks ago...:confused:

24. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Led Zeppelin only played a short European tour in the spring-summer of 1980, with their last ever performance in Berlin on July 7, 1980, so there aren't any other 80's shows than these. There were a couple of shows where Page was much better than he had been for awhile, but generally, those shows are not likely to be the first choice for releases.

25. steveharris

The Zurich show was played on a local radio station (well years ago now)The soundboard was just a notch below the BBC`71.A little thin but extremely clean and well balanced.I don`t think any of this would ever be considered for release,but if I was putting together a career spanning boxset I would put Achilles Last Stand,Train kept A Rollin,Trampled Underfoot,Stairway at least as bonus tracks at the end or something.They are that good compared to anything they ever played IMO.:hide:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.