Any forum members own the Furutech LP demagnetizer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TONEPUB, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I've said my peace. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

2. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Glad someone in this thread doesn't take himself far too seriously.

3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I would never recommend being the subject of ridicule to a customer. But I would not make it my mission to tell folks not to buy it either.

Let's look at the facts here. You guys brought it up. You guys are defending it. I simply stated that I thought it was ridiculous. And let's not forget that this was in direct response for an invitation to comment on it. I see no point in bringing to topic items such as that other than for humerous purposes. If he had asked if we had "magic pebbles" sitting on top of our speaker cabinets, what do you think my response would have been?

Basically, you guys stepped in it and now you can't get it off. That really stinks for you guys but you did have the opportunity to redeem yourselves. Now, it's just sad really. Sure, if someone wants to go out and buy a couple of them (hey, get a back-up; you wouldn't want that puppy to go down in the middle of a record spinning session now would you?!), what can I do? Heck, if it makes them happy, I guess I can just smile along with them ;-).
    -Bill

4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yeah, I missed that as well !:rolleyes:
    -Bill

PS: Common' guys, this has given me entertainment all afternoon. Is that the best ya got?! :D

5. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Now this is a good thread... Very entertaining. I'm intersted in Rolf's results with his pro broadcast videotape degausser unit.

6. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

and that analogy is equally out of place. to my knowledge, the flat earthers of the time weren't trying to get regular people to purchase their beliefs or some application of it. quite simply, the burden is on Furutech to actually prove it works since they and their agents are selling a product. thus far in this thread, I have seen nothing that fulfills their burden. i'll continue to read on.

7. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Yep. So I suggest that the moderator delete every single off topic post in this thread. So far, it looks like we would be left with one post. :righton:

8. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

First of all, you're an audio dealer. So you, better than anyone, should know the value of allowing someone to audition something and make up their own minds about whether it is worth the money.

Second of all, what did we step in? We both tested it, we both heard a difference, and we're both sticking to our guns about it. THAT'S INTEGRITY. "Looking for a way to redeem ourselves" is NOT. It's that simple.

And unless you can do the same before making a decision, you have very little credibility, which is not something an audio dealer wants to deal with. I have a friend who is an audio dealer (a successful one), and when I tell him about something and he has no direct experience with it, he says "I haven't heard that...I'll check it out when I can and get back to you." If he doesn't like it, he tells me.

9. vinyl anachronist

Our job at TONEAudio is not to sell you anything. It is to say hey, we listened to this, we liked it, and we think you should check it out to see if you like it, too.

In this case, it happened. We were both skeptical at first, too. That's part of the fun of the hobby. Jeff got on the phone with our resident EEE immediately and said hey, dude...this thing really works. How? And he gave us a reasonable explanation as to why it MIGHT work. And then Jeff and I said man, this is so much fun. We get to play with this stuff and find out really cool things about it. We learn something new every day. We both love this hobby...it is just so friggin' fun that you can't believe it.

And that's the problem. How quickly the joy got sucked out of it. Honestly, some of you should find another hobby.

10. vinyl anachronist

Then go back and read it.

11. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Dixie Fried

I hate to see two of my favorite forum members/advisors, the VA and KT88, argue. I'm sort of surprised, after reading the (sometimes remarkable and expensive) lengths forum members go to for better sound, that this (or any) device meets such skepticism if some claim to hear a difference.

I googled the Furutech and found this review first: "Furutech states that demagging an LP works too because the dye used to color the vinyl black holds all manner of magnetic materials as does the label."

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/furutech5/demag.html

12. vinyl anachronist

You have to look it at from my side. I heard a difference. It was pretty obvious. Then I have a bunch of people on yes, an online audio forum, say that it's impossible for it to work. Now, how are those people going to change my mind?

"Sir, NEGATIVE, sir! Sir, the private belives any answer he gives will be wrong and the Senior Drill Instructor will only beat him harder if he reverses himself, SIR!"

It's downright silly from my point of view.

13. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Good for you...but, you can't possibly think that this is not gonna meet some negative reaction. That you have to deal with.

I'm not above hearing what this unit does, but however, I'm not gonna lay down $1800 for it. I'd rather put that towards another amp and an active crossover. The reality is, is that's gonna make a bigger difference than this unit to my audio system.

14. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

No one including Furutech is asking anyone to buy anything blindly. Simply to try it. I honestly don't understand why so many here are so close minded. To me aftermarket power cords were pure Voodoo. Electricity has to travel hundreds on miles over industrial cables so how does putting six feet of cable before the component make a difference? Until I heard the change I didn't believe it.

Lots of things don't make sense from a "scientific" point of view.

15. vinyl anachronist

The important thing is to listen for yourself and compare. That way, you can determine which offers the best results for $1800. And no offense, but in your system, another amp would make a bigger difference. The Furutech is one of those things that the objectivists hate, a component that you add after everything else is already dialed in. If you have a modest system, the Furutech will not provide $1800 worth of improvement. I'd spend the $1800 on a killer 'table first.

And why should any stereo component generate a negative response? Unless you've heard it and determined that it is unreliable, or it sounds lousy, or it looks like hell, there should not be a negative response. If you can't afford it, don't buy it. Don't call the people who can afford it fools.

16. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

it's a buy and try. not a try and buy. or am I wrong and will they send me the demag device without me handing over any cash?

btw, i have never offered an opinion on the efficacy of this lp demag device. i hope you can understand that crucial distinction before you make any judgements about my mind's ability to accept innovation.

17. No. The car analogy is not useful at all. All it does is introduce muddy, imprecise thinking into the debate. Audio is its own beast, cars are their own beast. End of story.

18. vinyl anachronist

Or you can go to a dealer and ask for a demonstration...you know, like in the old days before the Internet.

19. Exactly. I am resolving not to post in or read a thread like this any more. Some people make this forum no fun! You know who you are. :shake:

20. vinyl anachronist

Yeah...thanks for explaining that to my satisfaction and all. Oh but wait...isn't an analogy about comparing two different beasts?

Just drop it. :wave:

21. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Don't I wish. I live in Pittsburgh dude. Nothing here. Great city. Nothing here though.

22. And you please do the same.:D

23. vinyl anachronist

Ever see the movie American Splendor? Remember the first scene with Joyce, where she's working at the comic book store, and she gets upset because she can't find a copy of "American Splendor"? Remember how her co-worker gets so freaked because she's upset? Remember how he puts on his knit cap and jacket and says that he has to leave because the vibe in the room is too intense?

Don't be that guy.

24. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

No offense taken...I'm happy with the quality of my system as is.

In a perfect world, no negative response. It's the whole thing about sticker shock, skepticism on whether it really works, and what have you

25. vinyl anachronist

Bummer. It works, though. I wish you could hear it for yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.